Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Back fist

Drives: MB Honda
Six Cylinder vs. Eight... Any Regrets on Your Purchase?

My wife has had the hot's for the Camaro for a while and now it's time to get her one.

We were originally going for the 2SS/RS, auto in AGM/Blk or the 45th, but the gas mileage difference is now holding her back.

Has anyone purchased a 2LT/RS or 2LT 45th and regretted the engine choice of six vs. eight?

Hopefully the remaining 2012's will be a little easier to deal on now that the 2013's are available for order.
Back fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
This will start another huge debate for sure. First off welcome to the forum. I believe that if this is going be a daily driver and gas mileage is an issue then you may want to stick with the six. It does seem however that many people are defecting to the eight after awhile of owning the six. If I were you, I would drive both and make the decision based off of what feels right for you and you wife.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Back fist

Drives: MB Honda
Thanks for the welcome! I think she is afraid that she will really like the eight if she gets on the pedal. I don't know that gas is that large an issue as she only puts about 5 or 6k a year on her cars.
Back fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
I'd drive the V6 first, if she fully loves it, and is happy with the mpg.. that is probably the way to go. If you want to then test drive the V8, and see if you are willing to pay more and sacrafice some mpg for the extra power and torque then the SS is more for you/her.

I personally would go for the SS, but that's just me. Some people don't care about having a powerful V8... and that is precisely why the V6 exists.. for folks who don't care for all the power, they just want the style. Don't get me wrong you'll still get good power, just not monsterous 400+ HP.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Dadof10

Drives: 2012 Blk/Beige 2LT M6
I use my V6 as a daily driver and commute 90 miles round trip to work. I enjoy the power it has and don't regret my choice for one second. If she doesn't usually have a heavy foot, V6 is definitely more than enough power. But if she has a need for speed everyday and she's probably only going to put 5 or 6k a year, the V8 is definitely a viable option. It seems to me all she needs to do is pick a color. She can't go wrong either way....IT'S A CAMARO

Good Luck
Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
for gas it is only around $3.20 more per tank at 20 cents more for premium. If she drives highway and you get her a nice intake and exhaust gas mileage won't vary that much. The v6 is a great car but there is definitely a huge HP/torque difference. At 7000k miles a year you won't be buying that much extra gas to make the v8 not worth it. In my opinion if you decide to upgrade to the v8 you will lose a lot of money. I would just get the v8 and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
I'd drive the V6 first, if she fully loves it, and is happy with the mpg.. that is probably the way to go. If you want to then test drive the V8, and see if you are willing to pay more and sacrafice some mpg for the extra power and torque then the SS is more for you/her.

I personally would go for the SS, but that's just me. Some people don't care about having a powerful V8... and that is precisely why the V6 exists.. for folks who don't care for all the power, they just want the style. Don't get me wrong you'll still get good power, just not monsterous 400+ HP.
Very true I hate seeing so many people with the Camaro who have no respect or idea of the heritage. It is disappointing but without them GM wouldn't be able to sell enough Camaro to keep it alive.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Dynamite

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS XD
My daily driver is a v6 model and I do wish I had a V8, but that is because I enjoy cruising and higher speeds when it is safe. I am not too concerned about gas, because i typically commute 30 miles a day.

If my commute was longer then i might be a little hesitant about wanting a v8.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote