Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Modded 1LT weight analysis

Okay, lots of interesting things to talk about from LS Fest. This is one or them. They had a lace set up this year where you could get your car weighed. I did not realize just how detailed it would be. I took out my spare tire but not the tire cover & trunk mat & not my floor mats. I was not in the car. It had about 3/4 of a tank of gas or a little less. What exactly does all this mean? Why does the left front weigh so much? What about all that data at the bottom. I remember a long time ago reading in a thread how Chevrolet worked hard to keep the weight distribution ideal. What are we doing to that distribution as we mod out cars & how can we keep it in balance as it should be.

Okay now educate Ms Ruby.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
VASCAR2

Drives: 94 Camaro, 10 1LT IBM Camaro
Just curious what type of scales were used, by looking at the results it would appear there were individual pads under each tire. If the vehicle being weighed is not on a level surface or the pads are not leveled the results can be skewed.

If the scales were balanced the steering column and associated driving components on the drivers side could account for the difference in weight between the right and left side front. I weighed my 2010 1LT with about 1/4 tank of fuel completely stock and it weighed 37000 lbs. My 1LT has the 19" polished aluminum wheels but it is not uncommon for a certified scale to be off 100lbs or more.

I thought there was a slight difference between the weight front to rear ratio between the V-6 and the 6.2 L V-8. I thought the I remembered reading the V-6 was closer to 50-50 than the V-8. I think the ratio comes into play a lot more in handling on a road course, but lighter weight sure helps on acceleration and braking.
VASCAR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Doesn't look too far off to me. The most poplular mod (exhaust) generally pulls lbs out of the rear...which throws off the front/rear balance even worse on these cars, but its not worth worrying over....at least not the small change it makes in weight distribution.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
The front left is going to have more weight on it (drivers chair is heavier, steering column, wheel etc) so that all gets weighed towards the left front.

Right rear maybe because more of the tank as the gas nozzle is on that side so the gas may tend to pool in that area.

But overall doesn't look too bad on the scales at just over 3,700
Old 09-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Extra cheeseburger before the weight in?

Sorry, couldn't resist. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I was NOT in the car thank you very much! LOL
Old 09-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I was NOT in the car thank you very much! LOL
LOL, sorry. Didn't mean to imply you were....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote