Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #43
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunsmb View Post
Bottom line its my car. I didn't like the crushed pipe on there so I changed it. I never said it gained hp from doing this because I don't know. I do know It changed the sound of the car. It doesn't pop while driving or revving like it did. To me I can hear the xpipe better. If it cost me 1 or 10 hp changing the pipes so be it. I'm happy with it.
amen,
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #44
586mx

Drives: 69 camaro
As long as cross sectional area isn't reduced at its minimum there shouldn't be a loss in flow, essentially. When the crushed area is compared to non-crushed area, i'd bet its the same amount of square inches. It could though, change the sound wave pattern enough to make a difference.
586mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #45
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 586mx View Post
As long as cross sectional area isn't reduced at its minimum there shouldn't be a loss in flow, essentially. When the crushed area is compared to non-crushed area, i'd bet its the same amount of square inches. It could though, change the sound wave pattern enough to make a difference.
already did back of envelope calculation using gas law, the front cat is the smallest at 2.25 in relation to volume.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #46
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Isn't anyone worried that removing this Exhaust Velocity Enhancing feature from their vehicle will void their warranty?

When the gas gets compressed into the smaller velocity chamber it increases in mass and density therefore and where-by the molecules of oxygen get more volatile and make a deeper rumbling sound when entering and exiting the power chambers in the muffler.

No seriously - When the gases leave what some of you call the "crush zone" - it picks up velocity creating a negative pressure field which helps draw out the exhaust gases behind it. This allows the pipe to act as a larger pipe. The figures I have calculated show that after the velocity zone - as we will call it now - The mass of air moved is equivalent to a 5.72" pipe and could possible create as much as 2.3 HP

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:48 AM   #47
oldman

complete nonsense that making something smaller creates anything but less flow.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:08 AM   #48
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Isn't anyone worried that removing this Exhaust Velocity Enhancing feature from their vehicle will void their warranty?

When the gas gets compressed into the smaller velocity chamber it increases in mass and density therefore and where-by the molecules of oxygen get more volatile and make a deeper rumbling sound when entering and exiting the power chambers in the muffler.

No seriously - When the gases leave what some of you call the "crush zone" - it picks up velocity creating a negative pressure field which helps draw out the exhaust gases behind it. This allows the pipe to act as a larger pipe. The figures I have calculated show that after the velocity zone - as we will call it now - The mass of air moved is equivalent to a 5.72" pipe and could possible create as much as 2.3 HP
April Fools!!

I hope

I'm betting this was done solely to change the sound wave to keep it from getting that raspy, metallic sound x-pipes so often have. It's not for clearance as there's more than enough room
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #49
oldman

a little story and some history. The 4th gen's optional SLP or SS 3" had a similar crush going over the rear axle. It was ONE 3" pipe, it was done for clearance PERIOD.

I had the 2 and 3/4 stock exhaust which I cut up. The first restrictor cone in the single muffler before the baffle was 2.5" ID. All LS1 flow went through it. All 320 actual HP of flow. Since then I tried not to get all bent out of shape mentally about flow restrictions so far back in the exhaust stream.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #50
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
This is interesting. I'm changing to the GM performance mufflers next week. Long story................
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #51
camaro1&6

Drives: 67camaro 69Nova C6
Just not worth it
camaro1&6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #52
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
April Fools!!

I hope
Yes, Just added a little humour to lighten up the mood in this thread

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #53
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The crushed pipes exist for one of three reasons (or all of them).

Clearance
Tuning the sound
Tuning the backpressure

Regardless of what the reasoning was, it's not going to improve performance by removing it. Even with serious "restrictions", exhaust is still hot and low density and it wont make any measurable effect on performance.
This has been posted before but still good to watch.
Wish I could find but saw a similar test on stock ZL1 vs headers. No significant difference.
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote