Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Leaking BC BR Coilover

This isn't a gripe post. More of an FYI. I was doing some work on my passenger front inner fenderwell and noticed an oily substance on the threads of the coilover body (the part where you adjust ride height.) I couldn't come up with any way I could have spilled anything in that area that would only be on the coilover. I lifted up the rubber boot and saw the oily stuff was coming from there.

I emailed BC Racing and described my problem. The tech replied it sounded like I need a new shock cartridge and the cost is $95 plus shipping. I haven't gotten a reply yet on the shipping cost or their payment options but I think it's more than fair because they are out of warranty.

Just an FYI if you notice your BC coilover leaking-it isn't the end of the world if you are out of warranty, just a small setback.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
How long have they been on your car?
Old 05-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Since Fall of 2012 and I bought them used. There was nothing leaking onto the floor and if I hadn't been in the fenderwell, I never would have noticed it. Considering all the money I have dumped into this car, another $95 is a drop in the ocean for peace of mind it has a good coilover on it. I am going to check the rears out to make sure they are ok before I order any replacements. Front wheels are off the car and I know the front driver's side is dry.

My mom has a 2005 Tacoma and she kept telling me the axles were leaking because there was a puddle of oil/grease under the driver's side rear axle near the tire. I was able to finally take a look and it was clearly the shock leaking. She was very happy to hear that is all it was. She is still running around on it because I haven't been able to snag her car to replace the shocks for her.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had the same issue, but mine was replaced under warranty, by my vendor. The cartridge swap is easy.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
How are these for drag racing Blake?
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote