Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Mine landed in the drive way tonight with 400 miles on it .We broke it in around Vancouver before we headed out on the highway. Took care all the way with varied speeds and RPM. All was well. Turned it off and 10 minutes later when showing our son the car we got an engine light, them we noticed the oil pressure under load tops out at the very end of the gauge in the cluster, but when you idle it falls to the mid range.

Check engine is on now after every start. No message on the DIC.

Checked the oil level....was down 1/3 qt.

What do I check next?
Yep....my engine light came on too. Mine had to do with fuel or vapor emissions or in other words the gas cap or vapor set my sensor off according to the Onstar diognogstic. I ran by AutoZone and had them reset it and it has not been on since. I am sure it will be something minor as these things are sooo sensitive. Let us know what Onstar says on the diognostic...would be curious if it was similar to my situation.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Baldturbofreak
Turbo kit Jedi

Drives: 95 vette,07gxp,02wrx,slazer,
Send a message via AIM to Baldturbofreak
It sounds like the sending unit is smoking crack.
Either that or something in the harness could be causing a voltage offset in the 5v ref or ground.
Oil pressure should follow rpm to the tune of ~10psi/1K rev. it should drop as a whole when the oil temp comes up. If your just running along and it's popping up and down without changing rpm, somthing is most likely wrong with the guage.

I dont think the oil pressure is e-controlled,nor do i believe the piston squirters are thermostatically controlled.
I could be wrong, havent been inside one yet.
Id hedge my bets on it being a electronic issue with the sender.
Baldturbofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Called Onstar. They have no alerts on my car. Said take it to a dealer.

I've used the local Pontiac dealer for service for 30 years. He advised he can NOT work on CAMARO. IT IS ON THE X LINES list. Chevy can't work on G8/Solstice.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal

Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
Quote:
Called Onstar. They have no alerts on my car. Said take it to a dealer.

I've used the local Pontiac dealer for service for 30 years. He advised he can NOT work on CAMARO. IT IS ON THE X LINES list. Chevy can't work on G8/Solstice.
Thats really strange. If the lights on they should have been able to tell you why.

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Dash light has not come back but the Oil Pressure gauge in the 4 pack continues to read high. At Idle it is mid gauge but @ 2000 RPM it is off the end.

Any one else?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoiler View Post
I noticed mine spike a couple times too, though both times were when the AC was running. I still thought it was strange how it would be sitting around 40 then jump up to 65 for a few minutes and fall back down.
when the ac clutch engages on the compressor, its putting a higher load on the motor and your oil press will go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Should be ok. I think they call it dry sump. Correct me if wrong.

The v6 actually is more technically advanced than the LS3 in some aspects.
the v6 does not have dry sump oiling.

Quote:
Dash light has not come back but the Oil Pressure gauge in the 4 pack continues to read high. At Idle it is mid gauge but @ 2000 RPM it is off the end.

Any one else?

what is your oil level at?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 AM   #21
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Was down 1/4 qt after 400 miles. Now full.

The needle can disappear off the end.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Well 3 weeks later and GM will not let me take this to the dealer of my choice.

Was told in week one that the Pontiac service manager could request the Regional Service Manager approve the job. Then in week 2 the regional MGR said no BUT if the local Chevy dealer (not the selling dealer) would approve, the Pontiac dealer could work on it as a "SUB LET" .

The Chevy dealer who screwed me too many times said no in week 3 .

After 3 weeks of calls to Oshawa they now suggest I have it towed to next Chevy dealer 60 miles away.

This is taking all the fun out of new ownership. Did not have these problems with Honda.

Fritz....you said the NEW focus was on customers. All I keep hearing is " policy says".

No where in the presale (9 months) , purchase , or delivery did anyone say this was policy. Selling dealer knew why I was buying 4 hours from home. They did not know and I have for over 20 years taken my Chevys to Pontiac for warranty.

It is not printed in the warranty book...reads the same as my Silverado
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #23
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I just noticed my 2LT doing this yesterday. Any RPM around 2000 and up oil psi will be 70 psi. It will come down to around 30 psi at hot idle. I did not notice this before and I was looking because I had read this thread at the start. Has any one taken it in to have it looked at yet? If so what was the outcome?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #24
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
OK, going out on a limb here, but what the heck right ?

Read the 'Anyone else here take delivery of a V6' in the same forum topic as this topic. Guys there talking about a whistle from the engine compartment.

Tonight I changed the oil on my car and heard the whistle on shutdown. I had the engine cover off and thought I could trace it somewhat to a valve that looks like a PCV valve mounted on top of the intake manifold. The valve was clicking, like an old style PCV valve - it slides up and down, UP allowing airflow past it and DOWN (acting like a check valve) sealing it when no vacuum is present at engine shutdown.
If this is correct and my guess is right and these valves serve the same purpose as predecessor Chevy engines, they provide a positive ventilation for the oil system. I had a '71 V8 Chevy 307 that had a problem with this system. There are PCV valves mounted on the engine valve covers which provide the oil system and oil pan ventilation. Mine clogged, the oil system overpressurized and blew out my oil pan front seal. No real damage, but had to replace the seal - which can be a pain in the rear. Anyway, if the valve I refer to serves the same purpose on the new V6 intake, yours may be stuck closed and allowing the system to overpressurize, giving a high Oil Pressure reading. I can't imagine this valve talks to the engine diagnostics, since there are no wire leads from it, only a single vacuum line, so diagnostics (and subsequently On Star) may not see this problem.

The old style PVC valves were very simple to replace. They just plugged into a rubber seal/grommet on the valve cover. If this is the same design, it may be as easy as replacing that little valve on your car. I started to remove mine tonight just to see, but got some resistance from the insert, so thought perhaps it was not the same ole design. Left it alone. Might be worth checking with a Chevy dealer - any dealer that knows the new Camaro V6 - and ask if this theory holds any water. If so, may be as simple as replacing that valve - all of 2 minutes work.

There are several guys on the other topic that are experiencing the 'whistle', including me. Perhaps there is a batch of restrictive PVC valves and you guys are seeing the first set of associated problems - high Oil Pressure.

Good luck.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #25
Bleueyes3334
BLEUZ10

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT SR BK Lthr
Send a message via AIM to Bleueyes3334
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
OK, going out on a limb here, but what the heck right ?

Read the 'Anyone else here take delivery of a V6' in the same forum topic as this topic. Guys there talking about a whistle from the engine compartment.

Tonight I changed the oil on my car and heard the whistle on shutdown. I had the engine cover off and thought I could trace it somewhat to a valve that looks like a PCV valve mounted on top of the intake manifold. The valve was clicking, like an old style PCV valve - it slides up and down, UP allowing airflow past it and DOWN (acting like a check valve) sealing it when no vacuum is present at engine shutdown.
If this is correct and my guess is right and these valves serve the same purpose as predecessor Chevy engines, they provide a positive ventilation for the oil system. I had a '71 V8 Chevy 307 that had a problem with this system. There are PCV valves mounted on the engine valve covers which provide the oil system and oil pan ventilation. Mine clogged, the oil system overpressurized and blew out my oil pan front seal. No real damage, but had to replace the seal - which can be a pain in the rear. Anyway, if the valve I refer to serves the same purpose on the new V6 intake, yours may be stuck closed and allowing the system to overpressurize, giving a high Oil Pressure reading. I can't imagine this valve talks to the engine diagnostics, since there are no wire leads from it, only a single vacuum line, so diagnostics (and subsequently On Star) may not see this problem.

The old style PVC valves were very simple to replace. They just plugged into a rubber seal/grommet on the valve cover. If this is the same design, it may be as easy as replacing that little valve on your car. I started to remove mine tonight just to see, but got some resistance from the insert, so thought perhaps it was not the same ole design. Left it alone. Might be worth checking with a Chevy dealer - any dealer that knows the new Camaro V6 - and ask if this theory holds any water. If so, may be as simple as replacing that valve - all of 2 minutes work.

There are several guys on the other topic that are experiencing the 'whistle', including me. Perhaps there is a batch of restrictive PVC valves and you guys are seeing the first set of associated problems - high Oil Pressure.

Good luck.
Well, I heard a whistle the other day, wasn't for long and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Heard it the one time and not since.

As for the Oil pressure - at normal acceleration from a stop, it goes up to 70, and when I get to about 40 mph, the gage starts going down and hangs around 50 (ish). If I accelerate above 40 the gage reads higher again then settles back down.

I called Onstar today for a diagnostic while I was driving home and they said nothing showing. If it continues, take it to the dealer to have it checked.

I was wondering if others have noticed this too. Thanks for the info.

Bleu
Bleueyes3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #26
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
I have been noticing that too..I just happen to look down at my gauges and the oil pressure was at 500 KPA(72PSI) when I was giving gas. I would let go of the pedal a bit and it goes to just about 36 PSI and when in idle = 30 PSI. But every time I give a lot of gas it spikes to 72 PSI..Like you guys said ..is this NORMAL and do I have to be concerned?
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #27
HALFFAST

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
any concerns just take it to the dealer and get them to check it out. If they tell you its fine that will ease your mind-if it's repairable they will fix it. If it does somehow cause an issue in the future at least your warranty is in place and there is a record that you reported this in an effort to nip it early so any responsibility is undoubtedly on them.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #28
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

They are ordering a sending senser. Mine still goes off the deep end on anything but idle.