Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-25-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
Camaro clone

Could be a Firebird, could be a GTO.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282257
Old 12-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Nice find, so are they saying that if Camaro does not sell 100k units per year or whatever they will stop production and use the line for the Trans Am or Firebird? Well, though I do not see Camaro's selling like crazy for a year or so due to economic conditions being what they are, I would not mind seeing either of those cars make a comeback. Just if the Camaro does not suceed, I have no idea how GM or Pontiac will be able to make a Trans Am of Firebird be huge sucesses if for some reason the Camaro should not accomplish that goal.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

My understanding from the thread was that if the Camaro falls short of expected sales, they will ADD the Pontiac twin to the line to try and make up the difference, not halt production of the Camaro. Honestly, if it looked like some of the Trans Am (excuse me - Firebird) concepts I've seen, I would choose it over the Camaro - and that's saying something, b/c the Camaro looks hot. They may not be able to use the name "Trans Am" but they can still use Firebird and Firehawk.

ETA: If what I've gleamed from posts on here holds true, and with the economy in the crapper, if the Camaro falls short of projected sales it will be no fault of the Camaro - it will be b/c buyers can't get credit. I am 33, making payments on a GTO and am about to purchase my first house next week (yay!) and my credit score averaging at 710 would only be considered "good".
Old 12-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Now here is the real question.

What would they change about the Camaro to make it GTOish?

The interior is straight Camaro, so i wouldn't be suprised to see a G8 style interior, but that would be difficult due to the build location. Idk, could be better. Ive always liked the pontiac interiors over chevy interiors.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Now here is the real question.

What would they change about the Camaro to make it GTOish?

The interior is straight Camaro, so i wouldn't be suprised to see a G8 style interior, but that would be difficult due to the build location. Idk, could be better. Ive always liked the pontiac interiors over chevy interiors.

I think it would be smarter on GM's part to bring over a g8 coupe, instead of rehashing something (that in this case would have already had to fall short of sales expectations). Broaden your horizons GM - badge engineering won't help.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
I think it would be smarter on GM's part to bring over a g8 coupe, instead of rehashing something (that in this case would have already had to fall short of sales expectations). Broaden your horizons GM - badge engineering won't help.
G8 Coupe anyone?

Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
Could that be a inter-cooler up front in the lower grill? HMMMM

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
They'd need to change a lot of sheetmetal to make it look like either the Firebird OR GTO. Well, not really the Firebird if they want to base it off the first gen, but the first-gen wasn't very popular so it won't push the nostalgia-button as much.

But the GTO looks quite different from the Camaro, the biggest change would be the roofline and window shape.

That's just my luck, though. I get my Camaro and three months later, out comes my original favorite, the Firebird. Can you say trade-in?
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I think this is another "The Camaro won't show up till September" rumors.....

Wishful thinking....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
Attorneyguy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
I currently own a 2008 G8 GT, and I am also 90 percent committed to getting a Camaro in 2009. However, I would definitely choose the Firebird over the Camaro if given the choice. It would be just my luck to get a Camaro in late 2009 only for the Firebird to come out in 2010.
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I think we should just wait and see if Pontiac remains after the "restructuring".
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
kanys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
I think we should just wait and see if Pontiac remains after the "restructuring".
I think they will since they have so many new/redesigned models out or coming out, so a good deal of money has been invested into the company. Now whether or not the feds will let Pontiac make a Trans Am or Firebird is another question...
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Anyone else think this is somewhat bass ackwards? If the Camaro doesn't sell well they will introduce a pontiac twin. It will need a re-skinning inside and out, thus requiring another set of molds and dies for production. If the Camaro doesn't sell well it will not be because of its styling or lack of a split grill and pontiac badge. It will be because car costs too much, generally poor car sales, or lack of interest in fast, powerful cars. It would make more sense to possibly see a GTO, G7, Firebird or something only if the Camaro is sucessful.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Anyone else think this is somewhat bass ackwards? If the Camaro doesn't sell well they will introduce a pontiac twin. It will need a re-skinning inside and out, thus requiring another set of molds and dies for production. If the Camaro doesn't sell well it will not be because of its styling or lack of a split grill and pontiac badge. It will be because car costs too much, generally poor car sales, or lack of interest in fast, powerful cars. It would make more sense to possibly see a GTO, G7, Firebird or something only if the Camaro is sucessful.
Ok, so I'm thinking there's probably some Pontiac fans that like the new Camaro but they're the group who are gonna want the SS models. $30K+ is no small amount of coin to drop on a car. So maybe a lot of those folks who were on the fence before all of the sudden see a new Firebird and they're sold. I'm not sure what you mean by dies and molds but other than a new body kit and some other things like tail lights and badges was there that much difference in the F-bodies before?

Also, you forgot one other factor relating to lack of sales - people not able to get credit.