Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #71
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Drives: 10 SS/RS 6M Blk/Blk Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRK III Z28 View Post
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...Q&Store_Code=Z

Q: Are Micro-Fiber products safe to use?

A: Zaino has been testing various Micro-Fiber products. Unfortunately, the jury is still out on them. Some of them are excellent and do not scratch. Others are terrible and definitely scratch. The quality control of these products from overseas, especially Korea, is not consistent, so you never know if they will be the same scratch-free quality. Even when using the same brand, we found the quality to be inconsistent. For now, we do not recommend using them. However, lab testing is ongoing, and we will post an update when we have more conclusive results.

NOTE: If you are already using microfiber towels, look carefully at your paint finish under flourescent light when you are using your towels. If you are not getting any swirls or fine scratches from the microfiber towels, then you are okay and can continue to use them. Remember it's better to be safe than swirly.

------------------------------------------------------------

It's just the quality you buy, a cheap Micro-Fiber or a cheap towel will leave swirls and a good Micro-Fiber and a good towel will not.

New Borderfree towels from Zaino

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0

What about a shamey? Is it safe to use?
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
-Hurst Shifter, with custom Speed Dawg
Dennis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #72
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Assuming you mean for drying and personally I would say no. If you're touching the car you chance scratching it, especially with a shammy. I use a leaf blower and never touch the car during the drying process.

Seek out the Junkman on YouTube and watch the videos on the Adams products at adamspolishes.com. You'll get a better idea of the whole process. Also, Autogeeks.net has a tips an tricks section that is also very helpful.

Enjoy the learning process
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #73
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

I just bought tons of cleaning supplies from Adams, spent lots of money. Guess I have to go back and look for some drying products/technics now!!
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #74
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Drying is easy. Electric Leaf blower. $35 - $50, pick your store. You never have to touch your car and it's bone dry when you're done.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #75
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
Drying is easy. Electric Leaf blower. $35 - $50, pick your store. You never have to touch your car and it's bone dry when you're done.
I checked out the link on Adams that you posted. They use the white waffle towel to dry. My SS is black like and they were cleaning a black Vette, im going to use their technic. They used the blower to blow out the water from cracks and seams. I bought a few more products from Adams, very expensive but very much worth it. Thanks for the info!!

Dennis
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #76
yourWHAThurtz

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
What products would you recommend from Adam's to start out? I've been losing a vicious battle to te AZ sun with water drying up too fast. Any suggestions?

yourWHAThurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #77
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourWHAThurtz View Post
What products would you recommend from Adam's to start out? I've been losing a vicious battle to te AZ sun with water drying up too fast. Any suggestions?

I recommend going to Adams and look at the wash video!!! He explains how to avoid that problem and he's washing a black Vette. Adams suggests that you rinse the car then start washing immediately and DONT rinse off until your done washing the whole car. This is where the mistake is made. The soap will rinse off and then your ready to dry right away. Check out the video.
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 04-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #78
yourWHAThurtz

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis SS View Post
I recommend going to Adams and look at the wash video!!! He explains how to avoid that problem and he's washing a black Vette. Adams suggests that you rinse the car then start washing immediately and DONT rinse off until your done washing the whole car. This is where the mistake is made. The soap will rinse off and then your ready to dry right away. Check out the video.
I'll definitely take a look at it!

yourWHAThurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #79
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Good info!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #80
MusicmanBB
LS3

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
Just thought I'd throw this out about getting bugs off the front of the car. I've been doing this for years..

Just take and spray the spot with bugs, then take a wet dryer sheet and lightly wipe. You don't even have to actually scrub.

It pretty much instantly takes off bugs.

Then wash it and BOOM.. no bugs.
MusicmanBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #81
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Ok guys, i've got a problem and the worst part is it's getting worse, and I don't know how to solve it.

My black (first and last black car) has the following and I need them fixed asap so I can start sleeping at night.

1-minor scratches (i've tried waxing them out), I use a shammy that is somewhat rubber, and after reading some posts, I'm assuming that is what is putting those small scratches into my paint.

2-I recently moved to a neighborhood where there are ALOT of trees....every time it rains, i get the water spots from the rain, but when I wash it, some of them won't go away. It almost seems like it is eating away at my clear coat.

3-Does anyone know how to keep damn dragonflies away?! These little things "swoop" down and dip some orange crap on my car, which definetly seems to eat through my clear coat like nothing.

Can I have some advice on how to get rid of these things, and the best car wash as well as wax (I'll wax every week, idc) to use to get my baby looking brand new again? I haven't gotten 8 straight hours of sleep in weeks......
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 PM   #82
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Ok guys, i've got a problem and the worst part is it's getting worse, and I don't know how to solve it.

My black (first and last black car) has the following and I need them fixed asap so I can start sleeping at night.

1-minor scratches (i've tried waxing them out), I use a shammy that is somewhat rubber, and after reading some posts, I'm assuming that is what is putting those small scratches into my paint.

2-I recently moved to a neighborhood where there are ALOT of trees....every time it rains, i get the water spots from the rain, but when I wash it, some of them won't go away. It almost seems like it is eating away at my clear coat.

3-Does anyone know how to keep damn dragonflies away?! These little things "swoop" down and dip some orange crap on my car, which definetly seems to eat through my clear coat like nothing.

Can I have some advice on how to get rid of these things, and the best car wash as well as wax (I'll wax every week, idc) to use to get my baby looking brand new again? I haven't gotten 8 straight hours of sleep in weeks......
1. Definitely ditch the chamois and get a good microfiber drying towel and a cheap electric leafblower to dry your car:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07174899000P

2. Sounds like you might need to clay bar and polish your vehicle.

3. I would recommend a good sealant vs. a was. Sealants generally last longer and provide better protection against the elements.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #83
got adrenalin?
Cameo "Cammy" Car Camaro

Drives: 2LT/RS 45th 2012 Limited Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
My black (first and last black car) has the following and I need them fixed asap so I can start sleeping at night.......
Ha Ha .. I say that every time I buy a Black vehicle ... but I still luvum when they are clean and shining!!
got adrenalin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #84
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Thanks guys! all this will be taken and put to good use for sure. Any other input is still welcome!
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing detailing zaino