Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
500 rwhp twin turbo goal!

I ultimately decided I want to twin turbo my car. I have a 2014 1LS. I know it won't be cheap and simple to get these kind of number. However with the ips kit I shouldn't be far off after the initial install. My question to you FI gurus is what can I do to get at the 500rwhp mark safely? I'm willing to crack open the engine and used forged parts, and I know I'll probably want to drop the compression and also will have to install a zl1 fuel pump. What is the best catch can to use to keep things running clean with this kind of power? I want to do things right the first time not slap on the kit and crank up the boost till my car is a time bomb. It is my DD but it will be taken to the road course as well as drag strip on occasion. So again I want to hit that 500 rwhp as efficiently and as safely as I can. Any advice for me fellas?

Patiently waiting for my 2023 SS 1LE
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
crc91

Bump

Old 07-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
You might be closer than you think with just the turbo kit and nothing else. Autos are dynoing at what 460? I think you would put down more than that being a manual, especially at your low elevations I would think.

I would just get the kit and see how you like it then go from there. Maybe some meth later or something to get you to the 500? I think it's safe with stock internals plus with the boost controller you can just run 7psi on the street and just turn it up when you want to.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
For Catch cans, look at Mighty Mouse
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Funny I just watched this today.
This should answer your questions;

http://powernationtv.com/episode/EP2...ie-on-steroids

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:17 AM   #6
crc91

Sorry Todd can you give me the run down of what you were getting at? It's late right now and that's a long video to watch every step of a twin turbo install. I won't be doing the install lethal performance will be taking care of that for me most likely. With just the kit (and the upgrades to it IPS offers) I really hop to at least be at 480 rwhp after the initial install. Do you guys think a 500 rwhp TT v6 can live for long without forging pistons or rods? (I'm willing to, I don't want to cheap out on anything) I actually talked to a few engine builders but none of them want to seem to touch the v6. I did however talk to Morgan&Sons racing engines and they said they can pretty much handle anything so that could be an option for some extra piece of mind. My goal for this car is to keep it as a daily driver, be able to take it to nola motorsports for open track days. So the car needs to be as bullet proof as possible but also well rounded. So we all know this means a good chunk of change but I'd rather do it right the first time for sure! Any advice is welcome.

Also jantzen how are you liking your kit? What psi are you running?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:23 AM   #7
crc91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
For Catch cans, look at Mighty Mouse
It seems a lot of people are using Mighty Mouse once they go FI. Is there any certain reason? I currently have a apex catch can should I get rid of that when the turbos come?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
It seems a lot of people are using Mighty Mouse once they go FI. Is there any certain reason? I currently have a apex catch can should I get rid of that when the turbos come?
Quote:
True! What would be a relastic rwhp expectation on the manual? Hats up with your spark plug issues? I plan to switch to a Mighty Mouse catch can when I purchase the kit. Any other upgrades I should do after the install to keep things running smoothly?
Quote:
So lately there has been a lot of talk of these new revision of the mace cams for the LFX. It's really got me thinking on cracking open the LFX and doing a NA build that would be balanced on the street and the road course. With the new mace cams they are suppose to pull from 1,500 rpm to past redline. Mace says 30rwkw (40rwhp) with a tune. They report more gains are to be had with a slight rev limiter increase. These cams sound promising and if mace's gains are accurate we should see 300+ rwhp NA LFXs soon! On top of the cams I'm considering to get tuned for 93 octane and putting in some higher compression pistons( and other supporting parts), to take advantage of the higher octane. Would also like to find a place willing to rework the heads which should also compliment the cams. Also picking up some high flow cats and a jacfab extendolator and ported intake manifold. So what do you guys think? Any little things I might need to further compliment the build in going this direction? All advice is welcome !
Quote:
I agree with the ipf being the best for a daily driver. That being said there are a good amount of people here with turbos that daily driver theirs. Personally when the time comes I'm going to go with the ipf supercharger, sure I won't as much hp or tq as the turbo. But for my needs it should be more then enough. And I'll have a set of 3.73 gears to pull me into the power band of the centri supercharger faster. Then when I have the itch again for more power I'll throw in some forged pistons and con rods and swap to a lower pully and see how that works. Either way you go you really can't go wrong. Both are great companies. If you have a beater car or something you can drive should something come up with the turbo then I'd say go turbo! If not supercharger all day.
I see you everywhere and with literally every idea. I thought you already planned to switch to a MM can... and a N/A build... and a roots blower.... and the IPF kit.

Now I know the cams were a big bust, I saw that coming from the get go. The roots was a bust because the only guy that would touch them was a hack. And IPF is closing the door on the V6.

If you have the time and money to crack the engine open and such then just custom build what you want.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
500, ips, rwhp, turbo, twin