Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox View Post
First time I've seen any mention anywhere of what the FE4 may do for the 2012. Good to see, as I'm days away from taking delivery... so I guess I'll see soon enough!
I've been trying to keep my eyes open for '12 reviews, too! Ultimately - if I were to get an SS instead, these changes wouldn't matter too much (because I'd go through all the bushings front to back and new sway bars, too), but it would be nice to get comparisons. I'm sure there's still going to be understeer for safety, but hopefully these are effective. There were many changes that we were told of with FE4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I don't believe the ZL1 was built with the quarter mile only in mind. It's a bad ass track car and with a set of slicks and someone that knows what to do it will also be a very good daily driver drag car. Like others have said if your buying the ZL1 to drag well then your doing massive overkill.
WORD. There are many SSs people here have mod'd to surpass ZL1 in nearly all respects. If you set the rear up good, I'm not sure ZL1 is right for strictly drag strip racing. There's so much more that's not being appreciated

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Gen5

Drives: Z28 2002 Maroon/Silver 1SS 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Den318; I see all of your points on the Zl1 and its performance. I thought the ZL1 was going to have crazy track and strip numbers(Most guys on here thought the 1/4 would be in the 11s and 0 to 60 better than CTS-V). After reading all the reviews it seems the ZL1 is mainly a track car. I know GM wants the Camaro to be a world class car in all areas, and it is. I guess I am old school and want to leave the track stuff to the Vett and the euro/asian cars. To me Challegers, Mustangs, Firebirds, and the Camaro are straight line cars. Again most people who want a race car buy the Vett or something from Europe or Japan. I love the Camaro I don't care if the interior is cheap or it weighs 10 tons, but I am a Fanboy always have been always will be. I just kinda wish GM would stop trying to turn beer into wine with the Camaro, and give me a Camaro that will kick the crap out of the mustang in a straight line!
TRACK CAR not really. I thought GM was talking about losing weight, instead of adding pounds ?????????

Last edited by Gen5; 01-19-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Gen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #31
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended

Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
WOW!!!......Highly disappointed times at the track I must say!! I was expecting atleast a 119mph trap speed and very close to an 11.99 considering 4 mags tested it. 12.3-12.6 is hardly anything to brag about. The current GT500 and this car will be a drivers race. The new GT500 wont be a race at all. To be honest this car isnt running much faster/quicker than the 392's, and theyre down 110hp and weigh more. I mean even bone stock 392's have ran 12.2 @ 115mph.

Edit: Just read MT got a 12.1 @ 119. Thats about what I expected. Does it amaze me? No. Is it an all around impressive car? Id have to say yes!
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
WOW!!!......Highly disappointed times at the track I must say!! I was expecting atleast a 119mph trap speed and very close to an 11.99 considering 4 mags tested it. 12.3-12.6 is hardly anything to brag about. The current GT500 and this car will be a drivers race. The new GT500 wont be a race at all. To be honest this car isnt running much faster/quicker than the 392's, and theyre down 110hp and weigh more. I mean even bone stock 392's have ran 12.2 @ 115mph.

Edit: Just read MT got a 12.1 @ 119. Thats about what I expected. Does it amaze me? No. Is it an all around impressive car? Id have to say yes!
What were the conditions of these tests? I wonder how similar they were the conditions these were under...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #33
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What were the conditions of these tests? I wonder how similar they were the conditions these were under...
Absolutely Radz, as I recall temps were cool to cold...with altitude involved. Honestly, lets get 'em out on the track with warm temps, warm tires, and warm track conditions and see. Huge difference one will see...
Old 01-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Absolutely Radz, as I recall temps were cool to cold...with altitude involved. Honestly, lets get 'em out on the track with warm temps, warm tires, and warm track conditions and see. Huge difference one will see...

People wonder why we don't get information for so long... Jumping to conclusions never happens...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #35
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
the boss was run on the same day and it ran typical boss numbers (despite being at an elevation disadvantage) so 117mph traps seem like a reasonable number for the zl1. that is roughly 4mph more than a typical srt8 runs at the track.
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
For ideal performance, one doesn't want the air temperature to be too warm, as engine performance will suffer. Cool dense air is desirable. The ideal air temperature for engine performance is probably between 45 and 60 degrees F. Temperatures any colder than 45 degrees F will make it difficult for the tires to hook. A sunny day will help warm the track surface.

A high barometric pressure also helps improve performance, and low humidity is also desired. When the Density Altitude is 0 feet or less, the conditions are very favorable.

And, of course, proper track preparation is essential as well.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #37
MauriSSio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
For ideal performance, one doesn't want the air temperature to be too warm, as engine performance will suffer. Cool dense air is desirable. The ideal air temperature for engine performance is probably between 45 and 60 degrees F. Temperatures any colder than 45 degrees F will make it difficult for the tires to hook. A sunny day will help warm the track surface.

A high barometric pressure also helps improve performance, and low humidity is also desired. When the Density Altitude is 0 feet or less, the conditions are very favorable.

true. Not only that, they said it was cold on testing day, so the trap speeds (indicator of HP to the wheels) attained that day are what you should expect in the "real world", especially since the boss ran typical numbers.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:

I think it was like 44 degrees. And we don't know what time of day it was and if the tires had been warmed up at all. Yeah, my experience has always been that cold fresh air was better than hot air for engine performance! Combustion is much improved with more oxygen and less humidity! Ever try lighting a damp match? LOL

More tests shall come. I respect the Boss for it's intended purpose. It just so happens that the ZL1 suits many more purposes and does all well! Superbly as a matter of "reported fact.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #39
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
How is the ZL1 not a drag strip car it runs a 12, whats the difference between a 11.8 and a 12, 2 tenths of a second, when your driving it can you feel the difference?
I'd like to know where the hard data is that the 13 GT500 is a 11 second car bone stock, can somebody show me the data test, or are the fanbois speculating like they did with the 11 GT500 which the best Motortrend could get it to run was 12:40s. Now the stang fanbois will run here saying the M/T is not accurate, the driver was a joke . But when M/T runs 12:10 with the ZL1 well that is, the best the car will ever do.

Lets see what actually hits the streets in 13 GT500 trim, lets see what the price tag on it is, lets see if they have solved the traction issues the car has had since inception, lets see one run 11s in stock trim reported by somebody other than MMFF or the other stang cheerleaders. Better yet lets see what it will do against an auto equipped ZL1

For now what we do know is MT has run the ZL1 to 12:10, and the 11/12 GT500 to 12:40. We know the ZL1 spanked the Boss around the road coarse and that the Boss also ran 12:40 in the 1/4.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #40
MauriSSio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I'd like to know where the hard data is that the 13 GT500 is a 11 second car bone stock, can somebody show me the data test, or are the fanbois speculating like they did with the 11 GT500 which the best Motortrend could get it to run was 12:40s. Now the stang fanbois will run here saying the M/T is not accurate, the driver was a joke . But when M/T runs 12:10 with the ZL1 well that is, the best the car will ever do.

Lets see what actually hits the streets in 13 GT500 trim, lets see what the price tag on it is, lets see if they have solved the traction issues the car has had since inception, lets see one run 11s in stock trim reported by somebody other than MMFF or the other stang cheerleaders. Better yet lets see what it will do against an auto equipped ZL1

For now what we do know is MT has run the ZL1 to 12:10, and the 11/12 GT500 to 12:40. We know the ZL1 spanked the Boss around the road coarse and that the Boss also ran 12:40 in the 1/4.
the ZL1 was driven by a professional driver that ran a good time with the boss as well. The boss run was typical of what you see out of private owners so its safe to say the ZL1 will probably run what it did in private owners hands. Private owners are already running similar times and same or faster MPH's (trap speeds) as the ZL1 with the 2010-2011 550hp GT500's
Old 01-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #41
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
the boss was run on the same day and it ran typical boss numbers (despite being at an elevation disadvantage) so 117mph traps seem like a reasonable number for the zl1. that is roughly 4mph more than a typical srt8 runs at the track.
I'm not sure how my opinions on it's performance are any different than yours, and what it's potential times are - unless you've tested ZL1... I that case, I respectfully withdraw my comment. I didn't know there were any other tests where a "reasonable" number had been established.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #42
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

Preaching to choir there Bear, I did alot of drag and street racing when I was much younger...I won't bore anyone about anecdotal knowledge or personal experience. I for one fully understand what favorable conditions can do for, or hinder a performance car from doing. My comments were directed about the time of year, weather conditions, and location of the "test". They should also test the car(s) under more optimal conditions which will give a fair balance between cold and warm operating, weather, and subsequent track conditions. The numbers will vary widely.

Tags
2012 camaro z1l review, 2012 camaro zl1, 2012 camaro zl1 reviews, 2012 zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, 2013 camaro zl1 review, 2013 camaro zl1 reviews, 2013 zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 info, camaro zl1 review, camaro zl1 reviews, chevrolet camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1 forum, chevy camaro zl1 info, zl1 camaro, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 info, zl1 review, zl1 reviews