Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Squibcakes

Drives: 2LT Convertible BRM
Do we condition the top?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I should be using some kind of product to condition the top to keep it looking and feeling like new?
Squibcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I don't put anything on my top and only rinse it with water, but my car is garaged at work and at home so it doesn't see much adverse weather/sun as if it sat outside.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibcakes View Post
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I should be using some kind of product to condition the top to keep it looking and feeling like new?
I haven't done it yet but from what I've seen people use ragtop or sunbrella to keep the top from fading and maintain the waterproofing
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I use 303 protectant once a year. Mine is a DD in the summer but does go in the garage every night and all winter.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandron263 View Post
I use 303 protectant once a year. Mine is a DD in the summer but does go in the garage every night and all winter.
+ 1 on the 303 protectant, the stuff is amazing. Bit expensive but really worth it. I "wowed" the neighbors showing them how the water just beads off the top.

Manual states to wash it now and again, which I did before applying the 303. Didn't really touch it other than blowing off debris until I got stuck in rain on the hwy for 100 miles. So I gave it good washing (the 303 was still there but nothing lasts forever). Anyways, I reapplied and all is well in the world.

For all you out there with dark color Camaros, there is some stuff out there called "Hot Sause" that actually works as stated. I had so many hard water spots I almost traded in the car, ha. The stuff is awesome.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i have a new 13 2 LT black vert. i bought Raggtop cleaner and protectant. the manufacturer, Haartz, has endorsed this product and their name is even on the can. both cost about $50 for the pair . the top is supposed to bead when water on it. so, make sure it does that and if not, apply the clearner and protectant.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
I SECOND & THIRD the 303 product. I at first tryed the Ragtop products but thought they did a terrible job. So in my research I went with 303. The cost is a little more but so what, I own a Camaro and it will get the best. Michael in South Boston, Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
rangomr. what was it about raggtop that didnt work? i am surprised as Haartz recommends raggtop and they made the top. i even called haartz directly and spoke to a guy there. i figured since they made it that they would know what works best.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
In my over 25 years of owning 4 convertibles, I have never once put anything on the top except water to clean it off. If however this is a daily driver, it wouldn't hurt to put something on it. My cars are only driven in nice weather, never see rain, snow, or any type of weather but sun.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
croat

Drives: 2012 45th rs convertible
303 is the best product out there ! My vert lives outside for almost two years and my top is like brand new ! Snow , rain , sun , pollution ( NYC) does not affect it !
One 32oz spray bottle is enough to apply twice a year and it costs less then $20 bucks !
Highly recommended !
croat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
not
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
In my over 25 years of owning 4 convertibles, I have never once put anything on the top except water to clean it off. If however this is a daily driver, it wouldn't hurt to put something on it. My cars are only driven in nice weather, never see rain, snow, or any type of weather but sun.
Okay, can't resist 95birdible........ only drive in nice weather: no rain, snow, only sun........in MINNESOTA?

If I am doing the math right 25yrs/4 verts, =6.25 yrs each on average, and the above nice weather scenario, so each car was driven about a month each on average.........
Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
not
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
rangomr. what was it about raggtop that didnt work? i am surprised as Haartz recommends raggtop and they made the top. i even called haartz directly and spoke to a guy there. i figured since they made it that they would know what works best.
Maybe they are the ones making the Ragtop.....ha. If it works for you good, that is all that counts, but I am a believer in 303.............
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
desieng

Drives: '11 SW 2SS/RS LS3 Vert
Do you guys use just the protectant or the cleaner as well?

Trying to figure out which to buy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/303-Fabric-Convertible-Top-Kit-Cleaner-Protectant-FREE-Shipping-030520-/221278655176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item33853c52c8&vxp=mtr
desieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
not
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by desieng View Post
Well, I just bought the 303 fabric protectant "water repellent", which was $16.95 at a boat shop near Seattle. Cleaning the top with a bit of soap, water and elbow grease should suffice.

Just did a search and here is the stuff I used. I didn't buy it via this venue, just showing you the product label.

Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...3+fabric+guard