Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #29
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
maybe i should go to Bonneville on a vacation just to see how fast she will go after my ARH headers and Cam
Having worked on a couple of bonneville cars, I can say without a doubt you do not want to put that car on salt.... Not like Bonneville.... It is absolutely impossible to get all the salt out, and the cars I've been around from there, are serious rust buckets.... and you can run that thing as fast as it will go in a mile or 1.5 mile event...

I should run out of gear in 5th at my next running of the mile... at 7000 rpm that's 230 mph...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
WileySG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (IOM/IO)
Only to 147 in 5th! It was expected cause I was towing my boat!!
IOM/IO Interior, Black Rally Stripes, MGW Shifter, Stainless Works LT Headers, Hi-Flow Cats, Borla S-Type Catback, C.A.I. Intake, JRE Tune, Pedders Sways/Sub Frame Inserts, Hotchkis Springs, Spohn Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, The Powdercoater IOM Brake Calipers, Forgestar F14/Nitto Invo, Camaro Style CF Console, MPD1 Spoiler, SLP Splitter, EmblemPro Goodies

WileySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileySG View Post
Only to 147 in 5th! It was expected cause I was towing my boat!!
lmao... Fast boat....

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #32
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I hate salt. I dont know of any place around here where there is more than a 1/4mile to legally drive over 65mph.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #33
SanteeChev

Drives: 45th Anniversary Edition
Willow Springs Big Track or Laguna Seca
SanteeChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #34
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I forget exactly how it came up, but I was talking with my friend today and he mentioned how he thought it was funny that the top speed in our cars is reached in 5th gear, but can't be reached in 6th. I just sort of nodded and hoped he couldn't read my mind (pure confusion). Is this even true? Intuitively, the top gear would be the one to reach the top speed, but maybe the ratio in 6th is so low that it can't functionally use the HP needed to get there? That's my only confused explanation. Thanks!
You mean the gear ratio of 6th gear is so HIGH. Low ratio gears have big numbers while high gear ratios have smaller numbers. For example, 3.91 is a lower differential gear ratio than a 3.45.

You put the manual transmission into low gear to get the vehicle moving and shift into higher gears as speed increases.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #35
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
6th gear is too long to be used with the amount of hp our cars have, if you had way more power youd be able to use it. its there for cruising on highways at low rpms

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #36
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
5th gear is also overdrive, folks. 5th and 6th are both overdrive. Theoretically, top speed is reached at a 1:1 ratio, which is 4th gear.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #37
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
THREAD NECROMANCY!!!!
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #38
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Why do people resurrect these old threads? Do they do a search, find
an old thread and start replying to it? At least this one is not as old as some I've seen.....
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Push the pedal on the right once you put the shifter in 5th gear... that's how I'd would do it anyway
Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #40
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Why do people resurrect these old threads? Do they do a search, find
an old thread and start replying to it? At least this one is not as old as some I've seen.....
The search function sometimes is a bit tedious to be polite. There are so many forums on this site that I can't say I "blame" the search function, but last time I did try to use it, it found the SS Minnow's crew faster than the SS Camaro question I asked....
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #41
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
As mentioned by Sux, 5th and 6th are overdrive gears....

I've never had the opportunity to do this with a more or less stock Camaro, but I would venture you can pull a little bit further (speed) in 5th than in 6th gear due to gear ratios, air and rolling resistance...

I personally shift into 5th at about 194 mph at 7000 rpm...

Another issue even some heavily modded cars have run into is the gears used for high speed runs...With no tire spin, freaky torque, and high speeds, shifting into 5th or 6th without the accompanying billet gears can lead to instant trans failures with the manual transmissions... You quickly find that the weak link can quickly become the factory gears...

Mine are billet 1st through 5th and I'm looking to have a 6th gear made out of billet material since with my current rear gears I'm limited to 230 mph in 5th gear at 7000 rpm.
Wow you and your car are insane!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #42
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen09 View Post
Wow you and your car are insane!!!
<<<< is ... But it's fun...

Here is a video of our tuning session the other day getting ready for the mile... No nitrous, just raw turbo boost... And this is through the full exhaust system which is now off the car for the run at the mile...