Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Automatic Transmission Tap Shift Shift Lever Direction DIY?

Does anyone have a DIY for us automatic guys who want to change the direction the shift lever needs to move to upshift the car on the console gear shift?

Currently we are pressing forward on the shifter to upshift and pulling backwards to downshift. I would like to be able to reverse that so pulling backwards upshifts and pushing forward downshifts. I want the shift lever to operate the way a true sequential shift lever would operate.

I have pulled apart the shifter and tried to do some process of elimination on the wiring but I couldn't seem to get anything done. The only thing I found out was how to completely disable the tap shift feature.

I am driving a A10 Zl1 but I have a feeling the shift lever itself is the same in A8 cars.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
I recall this being discussed on the G8 boards back in the day. I think it was complicated enough no one was ever successful.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
SS Life
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS
People have successfully done with G8's like the guy said above. It's pretty much just switching around the position of the + and -, but not sure if it's the same set up as the Camaro's. Check out g8board
SS Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
I can't stand how GM does this backwards (in my opinion). It seems so obvious to me that the way you move the stick should go with the momentum. When I'm braking, the momentum should dictate that I move the stick forward to downshift. When I'm accelerating I should be pulling back on the stick. My BMW's were like this and it seemed so much more intuitive. For now I just use the paddles but if there was an easy mod to swap the taps on the console shifter I would do it.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
Just manually shift it with the shifter