Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Looks odd with the mohawk roof IMO. Why pay for an aftermarket one when you could get one brought in from elsewhere or order one how you want.

The non sunroof coupe has 2 main supports at front and rear then 2 more supports in it. One running side to side by the rear quarter windows and one running right down the middle of the mohawk. Obviously you will have to cut out a good part of that one and need to add new supports that probably come with any kit just like they did on the Tjin Camaro.

Lastly, the only good way to remove the headliner fully is either remove the windshield or remove the passenger seat and go out the door with it. PIA

Last edited by daveagogo1; 05-14-2013 at 10:38 PM.
daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
RatedZ

Drives: Camaro SS
I worked at an aftermarket auto shop way back in the day and remember when people would bring in their cars and have a sunroof installed (theses were just the manual popups).

I watched many of times a dude take a template, tape it to the roof and use a saw and cut away all the while hoping it was straight and centered. They were a 2 piece system where the top was fastened to the bottom and the fit and finish was horrible. Maybe they do them better today but I can't tell you how many came back when they leaked, caused the roof to dimple since the roof wasn't given any structural support since factory sunroofs have the support needed to eliminate them from shifting and causing damage to the integrity of the roof and I even saw many that shifted and came apart. Not too mention if they mess up the cut it ain't no easy fix.

Dave is right on the structural supports for you will be cutting right into it and run the risk of damage to the vehicle. I too as many have mentioned either get it with it factory or forget about doing it. It's not worth the potential problems you will have.
RatedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I wouldn't do it nor would I ever consider taking or buying a car that has an aftermarket sun roof. With that being said I love the sun roof on my Camaro. If I would do it over again it definitely would stay as an option
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #18
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
In terms of resale value I would stay away. If you go to sell your car, people will find one with a factory roof way more desirable.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #19
kansjfr

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
For all of the reasons above, I agree with the overwhelming majority: don't do it. Buy one with the factory sunroof, or do without.
kansjfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
Eric Skiff

Drives: 2013 2SS 1le NPP
Were you looking at the one in Tracy?
Eric Skiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #21
Blue-J

Drives: 2013 2LT HWSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Looks odd with the mohawk roof IMO. Why pay for an aftermarket one when you could get one brought in from elsewhere or order one how you want.

The non sunroof coupe has 2 main supports at front and rear then 2 more supports in it. One running side to side by the rear quarter windows and one running right down the middle of the mohawk. Obviously you will have to cut out a good part of that one and need to add new supports that probably come with any kit just like they did on the Tjin Camaro.

Lastly, the only good way to remove the headliner fully is either remove the windshield or remove the passenger seat and go out the door with it. PIA

Check the roof on the following. Short glance.
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/hot-wheels-crafts-glow-dark-camaro-trio-hot-204127499.html
Blue-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Just find the car you want, or order it? Dont settle for that one car.