Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Frankly i would just add some fuel stabilizer....in other words add a bunch of octane booster to get the oxygen content back in the fuel....and add more gas, the thing may not want to start so have jumper cables handy, and with the engine not even broke in I doubt it would hurt it any to keep the same oil in it through brake in as it does not have water in the oil. Gasoline everyone thinks turns to varnish immediately......not so, and after sitting over a year its a good idea to add octane booster because it has lost its oxygen molecules. Cranking it over wether you are trying to start it or just running the engine with the fuel pump disconnected would still wear slightly the parts if at all as its not even broke in yet and the same internal engine parts will crank be it more fast or more slow and need the oil pressure to go up, which should be very fast.......And whos to say letting it sit a year vs a month causes that much more to drain down the upper valve train or off the bearings etc....
Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: Prius
I would really LOVE to know why the heck would someone buy a brand knew camaro and ever drive it???
Bumble.Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto1978 View Post
I am about to buy a 2011 camaro, 6 miles on it, stayed on owner garage since he bought it, never started engine since...

What is the first thing i must to do, in order to keep engine and tranny safe for my future use?

Tks
Hey buddy,is this car down there in Brazil?
What about the GS Vette you found?

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble.Bee View Post
I would really LOVE to know why the heck would someone buy a brand knew camaro and ever drive it???
the Corvette museum has a 1977 Vette with 21 miles on it. Still has plastic wrap on the seats, window sticker, etc.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble.Bee View Post
I know,I was thinking the same thing,I mean I don't drive mine a whole lot,but I still have 4,600 miles on it.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
The cylinder walls are bone dry. On old cars sitting for years I always remaved the plugs and put a teaspoonful of auto trans fluid in each cly the let it seep down a few days. Then replace the plugs. Never put oil in the cyls since it is too thick to be forced quickly past the rings upon compression. These are"old-timer" tricks not "new tricks".
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
vanlieremead
Chris

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Jewel Red 6.2L Vert
Pics!
vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
What he said^^^^^^ Plus you need to prime the oil and although some like to pull the fuse and turn it over until pressure builds you will run the risk of scoring something. Remember that car is brand new and still needs to be treated with the factory break in procedure.(depends on personal beliefs) After all that drain the gas check for leaks or dry hoses. Then fill up with premium fuel and do some fuel system cleaner on every fill up to help clean out any gunk in the lines/injectors. Depending on the climate you might want to check the tires and I'm sure checking the brake fluid/clutch fluid couldn't hurt either.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
With a flashlight, check in all the nooks and crannies for rodent damage to the wiring. Tire air pressures are probably low. Tires may have flat spotted from sitting so long. Just drive it and see if that goes away. Battery is probably toast. Plan for that.

Go straight to the station and top off the tank with premium. Other than that, just go get an oil change right away. Then start checking all the fluids and going thru the regular maintenance checks.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #24
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Good luck with it, post pics when you get it
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #25
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
WOW, congrats on the find.

Have the car towed to a shop so the engine can be treated like a first start up. They will change the oil then circulate/ prime the oil in a manner that will not move any of the internal parts. This will ensure that your crank and cam bearings don't get marred on a dry crank rotation. We have all herd the stories of these engine having an oil pump malfunction, a couple seconds of no oil pressure will destroy these engines. If the car has truly been setting for two years without a start up then its not going to start anyway so no need to attempt it. The fuel system will need to be cleaned, not just replaced with fresh gas. Gas breaks down over time and starts creating varnish on fuel lines, injector ports, ect....... This will have to be cleaned out to get the car to run as it should. I would also talk to a dealer and see if you can work something out with them and GM so that you can restart the warranty clock.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
eveyone is pretty much hitting on the head here also when you do fire it up a would let it run at an idle just get everything nice and warm and lubed up youve gotta think that those cylinder walls are bone dry. but after you get that oilchange i would get to work on that "ring seat" thats a long time for a brand new engine to sit without ever even being broke in 6 miles is incredibly low the dealer usually does a 5-10 mile QA drive when receiving the car to think that the dealer and the factory put no miles on it and the guy lived only 6 miles from the dealer drove it home and parked it ....something is fishy about this situation to many red flags here IMO
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by partymn View Post

Have the car towed to a shop so the engine can be treated like a first start up. They will change the oil then circulate/ prime the oil in a manner that will not move any of the internal parts. This will ensure that your crank and cam bearings don't get marred on a dry crank rotation. We have all herd the stories of these engine having an oil pump malfunction, a couple seconds of no oil pressure will destroy these engines. If the car has truly been setting for two years without a start up then its not going to start anyway so no need to attempt it. The fuel system will need to be cleaned, not just replaced with fresh gas. Gas breaks down over time and starts creating varnish on fuel lines, injector ports, ect....... This will have to be cleaned out to get the car to run as it should. I would also talk to a dealer and see if you can work something out with them and GM so that you can restart the warranty clock.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #28
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by partymn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaustin17 View Post
Seems like overkill to me. Just sayin'...
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote