Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Camaro Ice

Drives: 2012 LT Camaro
Oracle CCFL Afterburners Help

I bought and installed some CCFL afterburners preassembled from Oracle / AAC. They worked for 2 days so I know the install worked. When I turned the car on today none of the 4 afterburners worked.

When I opened the rear again all the wiring looked in place. Any ideas what would make all 4 afterburners stop working (as opposed to only 1 side)?
Camaro Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
did you wire them into your bulb wires or seperate? and do your bulbs work? thats really weird to think all 4 went out, i can only think a fuse is blown, or faulty wiring... no way all 4 would go out for another reason.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
did you wire them into your bulb wires or seperate? and do your bulbs work? thats really weird to think all 4 went out, i can only think a fuse is blown, or faulty wiring... no way all 4 would go out for another reason.
This is what I'm thinking yea.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Camaro Ice

Quote:
They are wired into the bulb wiring, we followed the downloaded aac document on how to wire these.

We snipped the bulbs so the parking lights are disabled but pressing on the brakes the bulbs do in fact come on so they work fine.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Forcer

do you have the dual intensity circuit? or do you just have it positive and negative?

From the afterburners you should have a black and a red wire correct? black into black on the bulb wires, and where did you put your positive wire? to the park lights or the power wire?

Do they come on at all? if your bulbs are on, if you use your turn signal, if you use your brake light, is there any activity from them period? fastest way to tell if its a wiring problem would be to take one out, pop your hood, open your fuse box cover, touch the positive wire to the red power cable, and then the black negative wire to a bolt on the fender.. if it lights up, somthing is going on with the wires in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Ice View Post
They are wired into the bulb wiring, we followed the downloaded aac document on how to wire these.

We snipped the bulbs so the parking lights are disabled but pressing on the brakes the bulbs do in fact come on so they work fine.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Camaro Ice

Quote:
do you have the dual intensity circuit? or do you just have it positive and negative?

From the afterburners you should have a black and a red wire correct? black into black on the bulb wires, and where did you put your positive wire? to the park lights or the power wire?

Do they come on at all? if your bulbs are on, if you use your turn signal, if you use your brake light, is there any activity from them period? fastest way to tell if its a wiring problem would be to take one out, pop your hood, open your fuse box cover, touch the positive wire to the red power cable, and then the black negative wire to a bolt on the fender.. if it lights up, somthing is going on with the wires in the back.
Yes, the bulbs themselves work in all situations, when braking, when using the turn signals, just the actual afterburners won't work at all.

I honestly don't know if its dual or pos/neg. i just used what was in the aac kit. The inverter does have a red and black wire though.

Wired it like the instructions said, black to black and red to brown(parking lights).

I'll try checking fuses next, thanks for the tip...might have to bring it to an oracle dealer

Last edited by Camaro Ice; 05-21-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Forcer

Honestly i have not used nor seen the inverter, so mabey the inverters are bad? mine i literally wired myself.. and you said you wired it to the park lights? il have to go out and look at mine to remind myself what is what.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
The Stig

Quote:
Yes, the bulbs themselves work in all situations, when braking, when using the turn signals, just the actual afterburners won't work at all.

I honestly don't know if its dual or pos/neg. i just used what was in the aac kit. The inverter does have a red and black wire though.

Wired it like the instructions said, black to black and red to brown(parking lights).

I'll try checking fuses next, thanks for the tip...might have to bring it to an oracle dealer
Stupid question, but are the afterburners plugged into the inverter?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Camaro Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Stupid question, but are the afterburners plugged into the inverter?
Yeah everything seems to be plugged in with the inverter. Only thing is the black wire from the inverter on the left side split in 2 (whatever that wire is for?), I had to fix it but am pretty damn sure it's getting power again, so i ruled that out.

^And this inverter is the Oracle inverter that came with the kit, says ORACLE 10000V or something on the other side. I honestly don't think new inverters that AAC sent could be bad so I ruled that out.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
The Stig

Quote:
Yeah everything seems to be plugged in with the inverter. Only thing is the black wire from the inverter on the left side split in 2 (whatever that wire is for?), I had to fix it but am pretty damn sure it's getting power again, so i ruled that out.

^And this inveter is the Oracle converter that came with the kit, says ORACLE 10000V or something on the other side.
Wait, black wire that splits into two and has connectors on the end or the black wire that you tapped into the OEM wiring?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Camaro Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Wait, black wire that splits into two and has connectors on the end or the black wire that you tapped into the OEM wiring?
The black wire I'm talking about is the one directly attached to the inverter, it's the one you can see in the pic (pic shows black and red wire attached to inverter, this would be the black one).

Am not at my car right now but that would mean it is not the black oem wire, but the wire that is part of the inverter.

Last edited by Camaro Ice; 05-21-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Camaro Ice

Went to a professional oracle dealer and they found out that whoever baked/installed the afterburners really messed up.

The afterburners were cracked and broken after 2 days of use. Just letting you guys know, thank you for the help.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
camarohwk23
Camaro5line

Drives: 2012 Synergy Series 2SS/RS
That does not make any sense. What I am getting at is that the afterburner themselves were defective. For one you do not bake the tail lights you cut them open. Secondly, even if you were to bake the lights the afterburners would not be in them during that process. I do not see how you can mess up the afterburners during the install if you follow the instructions from AAC. Then again, what do I know.
camarohwk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Camaro Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohwk23 View Post
That does not make any sense. What I am getting at is that the afterburner themselves were defective. For one you do not bake the tail lights you cut them open. Secondly, even if you were to bake the lights the afterburners would not be in them during that process. I do not see how you can mess up the afterburners during the install if you follow the instructions from AAC. Then again, what do I know.
I just said "bake" as a reference to the afterburner installation. I didn't install it myself and I don't know the process, just threw that word out there randomly as I thought you might need to, my bad.