Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #29
knickick

Drives: Camaro 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncarparts View Post
The Borla Exhaust have been HUGE sellers...Since they are so popular and I get the same questions, I wanted to share some thoughts before you make a decision on which one to go with...

Both Axle Back and Catback systems are great systems and make a huge improvement in sound, but if you can afford to spring for the extra cash, do it right and get the Catback.

From a sound perspective, you have the touring which sound not much different than stock. Then the Sport (my favorite) which bumps it up a notch from the sound perspective, but not too much. At the ATAK which is the most aggressive sounding of them all.

All of Borla's systems are awesome, but thought prospective shoppers would want to know the down and dirty on each one...

See ya,

Jim
Looks interested. Can you post some photos of Borla's systems? I think I will buy some if I got impressed to it.

Last edited by knickick; 09-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
knickick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #30
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by knickick View Post
Looks interested. Can you post some photos of Borla's systems? I think I will buy some if I got impressed to it.
There are images of the various Borla systems on each page, but this video may give you more of an idea. This is our install video we put together for the Sport Catback System, and you can see under the Camaro, as well as the Borla system as directly compared to the stock by watching this. You'll also be able to hear the exhaust tone with the Borla installed.

Borla Sport Exhaust Install Video

Thanks,
Matt
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #31
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAMOS78 View Post
what about Borla LT's?
Any comments on those?
The Borla Long Tubes are fantastic systems, constructed from the same high quality 304 Stainless Steel that Borla uses for their exhausts. A complete header and exhaust combination will provide HP and Torque benefits well above the stock, and also give your Camaro a really mean and aggressive exhaust note. Of course, because this is Borla, the tone will be both aggressive and clean and provide you a powerful crescendo all the way up the RPM range. Of course, there are some downsides to Long Tube header packages. An exhaust is basically plug and play, but a full Long Tube header system will require a tune to get the true performance and efficiency benefits it offers. The install on a header package isn't as easily managed in a garage either, and is recommended to be done by a mechanic (unless you yourself are well experienced). Because of these reasons, and the increased price, LT headers tend to be less popular than Cat-Back exhaust options, even though their performance and tonal benefits are typically three-fold. If you are looking to purchase a complete Borla LT Header set, of course, I would look at combining the package with the Borla Exhaust of your choice for a full front to back exhaust upgrade. It is easier to install both at the same time than it is to do them separately, and will save $$ on the install cost.
Hope this helps you out!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #32
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
Do note if you have OEM gfx, the Borla systems don't come with tips and look like butt.
They don't have tips, but a decent muffler shop can easily cut and then attach the stock GFX tips is this is an issue for you. Sadly, b/c of the stock GFX, Borla hasn't been able to build a system with tips to meet that body kit. Of course, the lack of tips is also almost completely hidden by the GFX kit, and the "looking like butt" aspect is definitely a matter of personal opinion. I think it still looks pretty great, because, let's be honest, Camaros always look pretty great.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Does the 3" system drone as much as the normal S-type?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #34
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Does the 3" system drone as much as the normal S-type?
The two systems are really comparable in tone, and the 3" is even a bit louder, so yes, the drone will be similar. I don't think the S-Type drone is bad, though, unless you're using the system with a header package. With just the cat-back, it doesn't bother me enough to ever annoy me, and really only requires that I turn my radio up just a tiny bit louder than I did before. Of course, drone is subjective to the driver, and maybe my tolerance for it is high, but, I simply can't understand if anybody would complain about it with the S-Type exhaust.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #35
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Okay talk about the Borla systems for V6'ers. I am at decision time & everyone I talk to changes my mind. My most recent choice was Borla axle back because the last guy said "if you are not going to add headers at some point I would save the extra $ & go with axle back, there is not that much difference in sound or performance". What say you?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #36
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Okay talk about the Borla systems for V6'ers. I am at decision time & everyone I talk to changes my mind. My most recent choice was Borla axle back because the last guy said "if you are not going to add headers at some point I would save the extra $ & go with axle back, there is not that much difference in sound or performance". What say you?
If you're serious about adding headers down the road, he's right, the axle-back is the way to go, specifically because the axle-back will connect more directly to a long-tube headers set than a cat-back exhaust will. However, if the $1k investment of headers doesn't seem like something you're completely serious about down the road, I'd recommend the cat-back exhaust. You will get an improvement on performance (albeit, a fairly small one), but the difference in exhaust tone/volume will be very noticeable between the two. Really, it boils down to what it is you're looking for out of your exhaust right now, and what your long term plans are.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #37
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Ok I have a Camaro Convertible on order and want to add a CAI and Borla Touring exhaust. Any tuning needed for this. And is their any drone with the touring system. The top will be down most of the time and I don't want to much drone. Thanks.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #38
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
Ok I have a Camaro Convertible on order and want to add a CAI and Borla Touring exhaust. Any tuning needed for this. And is their any drone with the touring system. The top will be down most of the time and I don't want to much drone. Thanks.
No tuning should be necessary with that combination, but, a little tuning never hurts, heh. Both of those modifications are bolt and go, though, so you should be fine. As far as cabin drone, the Touring is the ideal exhaust if minimizing cabin drone if your primary concern. The two modifications are the perfect ones to start with on a new car, and should give your new Camaro Convertible some extra get up and go. Please share pictures of the car once you've got it, too, love seeing them on the forums here, and that convertible is one good looking car.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #39
Sttt5126

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
I too have a vert on order and want to up the ATAK system on it but I'm not too sure if it would be too loud with the top down. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
Sttt5126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #40
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
I have been researching and shopping around for the right setup for me as I am looking to add a new exhaust very soon. Thanks for this thread! its been a big help.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #41
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sttt5126 View Post
I too have a vert on order and want to up the ATAK system on it but I'm not too sure if it would be too loud with the top down. Any thoughts?
You shouldn't get too much drone, but, that's very subjective. What's acceptable to some people, isn't acceptable to others. With the coupe, cabin drone's very minimal, even with the aggressive ATAK, but with the ragtop it will probably be a little more. I love the ATAK, and the ATAK sound, but haven't been inside of a vert with one installed yet, so I can't say for certain, sadly. I can't imagine it would be too bad, as that's a very intelligently designed and manufactured system, but again, I can't say for certain.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #42
southerncarparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro8810 View Post
I have been researching and shopping around for the right setup for me as I am looking to add a new exhaust very soon. Thanks for this thread! its been a big help.
I'm really happy that this was able to help! Hope you find the perfect exhaust for you!

Thanks,
Matt