Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #113
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Hey Pete, Suspension restrictions are unlimited along with brakes and wheel/tires. All components must be cleaned prior to inspection, (Exceptions)

1.) Suspension must be clean and free of debris prior to inspection, otherwise be denied inspection and prohibited for track use.

2.) As long as suspensions are not deemed unsuitable for track use via inspection; such as worn or damaged components.

3.) Factory components cannot be fabricated.

4.) Any modifications performed that are aftermarket components will be factory replacements; fabrication to suspension by welding or cutting is prohibited

Quote me for the coils...

Also, As I said on the phone, I would like to run 275/40-18's.
Is it possible to run a 285+ on the front with 18s?
Do you suggest a 19" so I can run a 30-35 sidewall? (even if you said yes I would probably fight you on it)

I am looking at the Enkei PF01's because they are extremely light for the price, right now a 18x9 but if I can squeeze a 285+ up front I will go to the 18x9.5. I will be running Nitto's but, the NT01 only comes in 275/40 (26.65" height) and 35 (25.55")-18 but the 555RII come in a 285/35-18 (25.91" height).

Edit: Nitto's might be out of the question, I think there is a tread wear limit of 140..
The limitations are for what class?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #114
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The limitations are for what class?
Its going to be a equivalent to street modified, it translates to street preparation (or preparation street).

The entire class is based on points, so modifications will give me + points, my goal is not to exceed 12 points but get pretty close.. Engine mods are worth alot of points as well as 100 treadwear comp tires. Most aftermarket suspensions are 3-4 points so I'm still good... There are many sub-classes in Street Prep...

Edit: Pete, I just called and I left a message. Give me a call when you have time or hit me up on here and I can call you right back (I DO NOT PAY FOR INTERNATIONAL CALLS, THE TAX PAYERS DO) I can save you the long distance rates...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #115
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Number 3, please forgive my use of the term "Big Block" with current late model engines. My use stemmed from the actual size of the block vs the interchangeability between the two styles of blocks. I understand that the older true Big Blocks (396,427,& 454) were seven liter engines that other than the basic architecture, OHV - Push Rod Design have no interchangeable parts with the current LS7 - 7 liter engine. So my terminology of using the words Big Block is based solely on the common 7 liter size of the two styles of engines and nothing more. Sorry, I hope you understand. I certainly value your opinion on all things Chevy but especially Camaro. Stay warm up there.
Understood and suspected you knew that. Just a general correction for those that might not know, and there are probably a few in here that haven't driven a true "big" block.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #116
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Understood and suspected you knew that. Just a general correction for those that might not know, and there are probably a few in here that haven't driven a true "big" block.
NO problem, and thanks for posting your RJT convertible picture in your sig. If the ZL1 does not come in a lighter color of blue, then I will most likely go with RJT.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #117
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Its going to be a equivalent to street modified, it translates to street preparation (or preparation street).

The entire class is based on points, so modifications will give me + points, my goal is not to exceed 12 points but get pretty close.. Engine mods are worth alot of points as well as 100 treadwear comp tires. Most aftermarket suspensions are 3-4 points so I'm still good... There are many sub-classes in Street Prep...

Edit: Pete, I just called and I left a message. Give me a call when you have time or hit me up on here and I can call you right back (I DO NOT PAY FOR INTERNATIONAL CALLS, THE TAX PAYERS DO) I can save you the long distance rates...
I spent most of the day with the family. I'll ring you tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #118
JusticePete

Quote:
Would the Dodge 426 Hemi and Ford 429 Super Conbra Jet qualify as true 'big' blocks?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #119
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Would the Dodge 426 Hemi and Ford 429 Super Conbra Jet qualify as true 'big' blocks?
I'll let one of the real motor heads/history buffs comment, but I am pretty sure "small block" and "big block" are GM terms, and they might be specific to Chevrolet. Back in the day, Cadillac offered a 500 cu. in. V8 and I don't think that was ever called a "big block".

The current 7.0 L (427) in the Z06 is the largest displacement you can get from the small(er) size engine block. From what I've heard, you can't get the cylinder walls any thinner and be durable.

The old big blocks went to 454 in cars and had displacements of 502 cu. in. I believe. Those may have been truck engines. And I think there was even a larger crate motor over 9L in displacement.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #120
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
14 litre in-line six FTW

Each of the big 3 had their larger bore spaced blocks, I grew up under the assumption the chry. 440, ford 460, chev. 454 (plus others) were big blocks
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #121
JusticePete

Quote:
I'll let one of the real motor heads/history buffs comment, but I am pretty sure "small block" and "big block" are GM terms, and they might be specific to Chevrolet. Back in the day, Cadillac offered a 500 cu. in. V8 and I don't think that was ever called a "big block".

The current 7.0 L (427) in the Z06 is the largest displacement you can get from the small(er) size engine block. From what I've heard, you can't get the cylinder walls any thinner and be durable.

The old big blocks went to 454 in cars and had displacements of 502 cu. in. I believe. Those may have been truck engines. And I think there was even a larger crate motor over 9L in displacement.
That is why I asked. I wasn't sure.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #122
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
The terms Small Block and Big Block were pretty much reserved for Chevy engines. The basic engine layout was very much the same but block size was the big difference along with canted head valves. Fords 390, 428 & 429 engines were never called "Big" blocks compared to their 289, 302 & 351 siblings. The Dodge/Chrysler 426 was strictly called "Hemi" and had nothing to do with their smaller engines. Across the GM engine lineup none of the Pontiac 455, Oldsmobile 455 were referred to as big blocks either. It was pretty much just a Chevy thing when Camaros, Chevelles, Corvettes, Impalas and Novas came with either small blocks 327 & 350's and the same cars with 396 and 427's were big block cars circa 1965 to 1970/71 when 454 replaced the 427's in Chevelles and Corvettes.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #123
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
The terms Small Block and Big Block were pretty much reserved for Chevy engines. The basic engine layout was very much the same but block size was the big difference along with canted head valves. Fords 390, 428 & 429 engines were never called "Big" blocks compared to their 289, 302 & 351 siblings. The Dodge/Chrysler 426 was strictly called "Hemi" and had nothing to do with their smaller engines. Across the GM engine lineup none of the Pontiac 455, Oldsmobile 455 were referred to as big blocks either. It was pretty much just a Chevy thing when Camaros, Chevelles, Corvettes, Impalas and Novas came with either small blocks 327 & 350's and the same cars with 396 and 427's were big block cars circa 1965 to 1970/71 when 454 replaced the 427's in Chevelles and Corvettes.
Did, perhaps, this designation even go back to the W-engines? I ask because I swear I've read about them identifying those as big blocks, too. The bore spacing was greater than the small-blocks and it was just a larger block, externally, too, no? Or did big blocks actually come with the Mark IVs and the earlier porcupine semi-hemis? Did us GM guys just start calling the Mopar and Ford "small" and "big" engines small and big blocks? The 318 and 360 look very much like 440s.

I like all this old school talk. Z28 won't get a big block though :( That's okay, because I'm a total Gen III/IV guy, now, anyways.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #124
JusticePete

I just learned something else. Over the years I muddled the Pontiac engines into the Big Block term.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #125
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
SBC and BBC are well-understood acronyms for Chevy's (formerly?) finest...at least within "knowledgeable" hot rod circles...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #126
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Did, perhaps, this designation even go back to the W-engines? I ask because I swear I've read about them identifying those as big blocks, too. The bore spacing was greater than the small-blocks and it was just a larger block, externally, too, no? Or did big blocks actually come with the Mark IVs and the earlier porcupine semi-hemis? Did us GM guys just start calling the Mopar and Ford "small" and "big" engines small and big blocks? The 318 and 360 look very much like 440s.

I like all this old school talk. Z28 won't get a big block though :( That's okay, because I'm a total Gen III/IV guy, now, anyways.
Yes it did, the 348 and 409 were considered big blocks as opposed to the SBCs of 265, 283, 327 of the day. The "mystery" Chevy BB run at Daytona in '63 was a Mark II, that was the beginning of the W series morphing into the Mark IVs of the later '60s.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 03-15-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: text correction
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote