Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
HPDE guys, what gear ratios are you using?

Hi all,

Interested in what rear gears everyone is running for road courses. 4.11/10 seems like you would have to be using 5th gear since 4th would top out in the 140's. what speeds do you typically hit on the road courses? That may help.

The idea i've gotten from reading around is you don't want to go past 4th gear since 5th and 6th are overdrives. Don't know how correct this is so I'd like to discuss.

Also post rwhp, rwtq, etc.

Bomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
I don't plan on touching the diff gearing until I open the trans and put in the 1LE gear set. This assumes it doesn't explode on me. Its far better to shift less. I wouldn't go past 3.91 if you decide to do something. Best price and strength too. I've been 135-140ish in 4th gear with stock gearing, don't remember the rpm though.

I'll be putting money in wheels/tires and durability mods first (radiator, oil cooler, etc)

415ish rwhp
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
If you are running a road course and that is what you are locked into, then I would stick with the 3.90 ish gear.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
You shouldn't need to worry about custom gears for HPDE. That will only become an issue if you start competing and are looking to shave the last second or two from your lap times. What road course are you running? On most of them you won't see speeds much above 140 unless you're an advanced driver running a modded car on race tires.

Last edited by Jim968; 03-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
kazmar619

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I put 3.7 gears in my manual shift SS. This lets me use 3rd all around the track except for the high speed straight where I shift into 4th. The stock 3.45 gear needed 2nd gear too much, now I don't need to shift down to 2nd.
kazmar619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Well, the 1LE is a "track capable" car and it comes with 3.91's. So, I'd say 3.91 (which is exactly what I have).
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
The 3.91 1LE ring & pinion kit will be available from Chevrolet Performance in Q2.
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Depends on the track you're running on. Are you planning on running every month at an HPDE track event? Planning to travel to various tracks?

I've got the stock gearing for a 2010 1SS and it's plenty good for the track near me. If you're going to change the diff gears to 3.91 take note that Chevy ALSO changed the trans gear ratios in the 1LE package to come up with a combo that would balance the 3.91.

If there's too much torque at lower speeds it becomes difficult to smoothly accelerate out of corners and into/through transitions. If the gearing is too tall (for high speeds) then either 2nd is too high or 3rd is too low. If the gearing is too low (for 1/4 mile type speeds) then you spend too much time shifting between 2nd and 3rd trying to find the right combo for corners, and believe it or not that can actually slow down your lap times.

Ideally you want a smooth and usable 2nd gear for low to medium speed corners and 3rd can handle everything else, unless it's a high speed bank or sweeper. You don't want too much power too quick or the back end will want to kick around on you when you're trying to accelerate out of a corner or out/into a transition between corners.

My recommendation before you start messing with the gears in the differential is to spend the money at a reputable high performance driving school and learn how to wring the most out of what you already have. THEN you'll have a much better idea of what mods you want to make because you now have the skill and experience with your car to know what needs improving, how much, and why.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
My recommendation before you start messing with the gears in the differential is to spend the money at a reputable high performance driving school and learn how to wring the most out of what you already have. THEN you'll have a much better idea of what mods you want to make because you now have the skill and experience with your car to know what needs improving, how much, and why.
This is excellent advice.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Depends on the track you're running on. Are you planning on running every month at an HPDE track event? Planning to travel to various tracks?

I've got the stock gearing for a 2010 1SS and it's plenty good for the track near me. If you're going to change the diff gears to 3.91 take note that Chevy ALSO changed the trans gear ratios in the 1LE package to come up with a combo that would balance the 3.91.

If there's too much torque at lower speeds it becomes difficult to smoothly accelerate out of corners and into/through transitions. If the gearing is too tall (for high speeds) then either 2nd is too high or 3rd is too low. If the gearing is too low (for 1/4 mile type speeds) then you spend too much time shifting between 2nd and 3rd trying to find the right combo for corners, and believe it or not that can actually slow down your lap times.

Ideally you want a smooth and usable 2nd gear for low to medium speed corners and 3rd can handle everything else, unless it's a high speed bank or sweeper. You don't want too much power too quick or the back end will want to kick around on you when you're trying to accelerate out of a corner or out/into a transition between corners.

Doc, I appreciate your post. I constantly use your thread as a reference with all the info you have in there for weight loss.

i know you have gone down to 19's on your wheels. since that has an effect on your gearing, your 3.45 gearing may feel similar to a camaro on 20's with 3,91's, no? there are calculators to figure out precisely what the equivalents are...

so with your 19's, weight loss, and stock diff, you like the gearing setup for track? you ever considering swapping the gears out?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
Doc, I appreciate your post. I constantly use your thread as a reference with all the info you have in there for weight loss.

i know you have gone down to 19's on your wheels. since that has an effect on your gearing, your 3.45 gearing may feel similar to a camaro on 20's with 3,91's, no? there are calculators to figure out precisely what the equivalents are...

so with your 19's, weight loss, and stock diff, you like the gearing setup for track? you ever considering swapping the gears out?
Well thank you.

I haven't calculated the difference but it's probably not much; maybe like a 3.55 or thereabouts. A 3.91 gearing with 20" wheels would probably pull more like my setup but depending on the track you're on, you'd spend more time shifting between 2nd and 3rd than I do and I'd definitely get you on top end. Plus the weight difference gives me an advantage on quickness of response and cornering agility.

I like the trans and diff gear ratios Chevy chose for the 1LE and I'm assuming they'll be the same (or very close to it) for the Z/28. The extra pull you have with the 3.91 makes 3rd gear usable in most corners except either very slow or long fast ones where you can get into 4th for a bit. On a big Nascar track like the one near me I can get into 5th before going into the bank on turn 1. But that's a hybrid infield road course that uses part of the Nascar track. A true road course is road course only and you're most likely not going to see taking a giant sweeper in 5th gear.

The gearing combo I have right now works pretty good for me. If I had taller gears in the diff I'd have to shift out of 2nd too quick so I'd be either hitting the rev limiter in the middle of a corner, or shifting in the middle which isn't a great idea. If I went into it in 3rd I'd be pretty low in the power band going through the corner and losing exit speed coming out.

The cam I chose gives up some horsepower on the top end in exchange for more torque earlier and more in the mid-range so at 3,500 rpm 3rd gear really starts to come alive. If I come out of a corner in 2nd at 4,500-5,000 then shift into 3rd it drops to around 3,500+ rpm and the car pulls like it's on a turbo. It's a real blast.

Right now I want better tires. There's a lot I can improve including my driving skills before I would need to start changing gear ratios.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
I've got the 3.91 in mine and I like them. My car pulls so much harder out of the corners and all around. I've gotten decent with heel and toeing with 3rd and 4th but 2nd I just couldn't get it smooth. With the gears I avoid 2nd almost all together and use 3, 4, 5. As far as having too much power coming out of corners, that's what's called car control.