Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
vuduman67

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Camaro Heritage Grill DIY install (now with official GM install instructions).

First off the install in my opinion was pretty easy but I also Repair cars for a living. That being said I would say anyone with moderate skills with basic tools can pull off this install without to much trouble. I am writing this from memory so dont be to hard on me if I am forgetting something!
Tools required are a basic flat tip screw driver, a 10mm socket,7mm socket,t15 tork socket, a ratchet for the sockets,
flashlight and I used a small cordless nut driver to make things easier but its not required.

First remove the 4 10mm head bolts holding down the black panel in between the bumper and radiator support.
This is the panel that has the performance division nameplate.
Then remove the black popins that hold it to the cover I believe there were 6. To remove these use the small flat tip
screw driver to pry up the centers then pry the base up to remove the rest.
Next unscrew the black hood adjusters there are 4 total but only need to remove the 2 center ones. The panel should
be loose now.

There is also 2 10mm bolts, one on each corner of the bumper on top that must be removed.

Moving on to the Bumper.
Turn the wheels all the way right and then go to the right side of the car to Loosen the Black plastic wheelwell. You need to

remove the
3 t15 torx screws at the lower section holding it to the bumper and 4 popins placed throughout the well. This should let

the well drop and sit on the tire. With your flashlight look in the front section where the bumper attaches to the fender.
There are a total of 4 10mm head bolts and 1 7mm head bolt that must be removed. This is where the small cordless
nut driver comes in handy because there is not a lot of room to turn a ratchet. 3 of the 10mm bolts are installed foward

and the 4th is facing the marker light . Kind of hard to explain but easy to fiqure out when you look in there. The last 7mm

bolt is installed going straight up and is near the edge of the lip of the bumper. The right side is loose now.
Next turn the wheel all the way to the left and repeat this section on that side. IF the key does not want to turn grab the
steering wheel and pull down and turn the key at the same time. The Steering wheel lock sometimes gets in a bind when

you turn the key off with the wheels turned hard. The last 2 10mm bolts are under the bumper near the center. They are

installed facing straight up. The bumper is now ready to remove, but be careful because the lights are still wired to the car.

I placed a piece of plastic on the concrete so when the bumper rest on the ground it would not scratch the bottom. The

bumper will rest with out unwiring the lights and still give you plenty of access to remove the grill.

Now for the grille.
There are 4 silver push clips that hold the bottom of the grille to the cover. Pry them off with the flattip screw driver.
the rest of the grille is just snapped to the cover. You need to just pull it apart. Some of the tabs are in tight and release

easier if you push the catch down. Their also is a large plastic piece that holds the wire loom that is also snapped to the

grille and pulls apart. Thats basically it the grille should come out now. Getting all the tabs lined up when putting in the

new grille is a bit of a pain and would definatly be easier with a extra set of hands. Now reassemble and stand back and

admire your handy work.

UPDATED WITH OFFICIAL GM INSTRUCTIONS (courtesy of Sean@Phastek)

Attached Images

vuduman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Cool! Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
Looks great. Thanks for the DIY write up. Mine should be here soon.

Don O

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
ttexxan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
wonder how much the dealer would charge to do this
ttexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
How did you get the SS to attach, and what about the bowtie?
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
thanks for the step by step and pictures. will be doing this soon myself, so sure I will refer back to this.
cterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
dirtydogg

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexxan View Post
wonder how much the dealer would charge to do this
i live in ky and got mine for $275.00 from a chevy dealer
dirtydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
vuduman67

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljustin293 View Post
How did you get the SS to attach, and what about the bowtie?
I used 3m double side tape to attach the SS and Im not sure if I want the Bowtie back on. There is a good DIY for attaching the bowtie on here somewhere though.

Oh and you guys are welcome for the write up, Its not the best DIY thread but it should help until someone does a better one with step by step pictures.
vuduman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
i love that grill but there is no way to put my SLP SS emblem on the front.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
anthonybyram

Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
Thanks for the DIY thread, that does help and looks to be a relatively easy install. Great job and good explanation of how its done.
anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
JSkibisky

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
That looks absolutely awesome !!! ...
JSkibisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
krauser1980

Drives: 93 Transam, 2SS ABM White Rally
how is 3m double sided tape going to hold your embelem for the long haul? i dont get it...is it that strong???
krauser1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauser1980 View Post
how is 3m double sided tape going to hold your embelem for the long haul? i dont get it...is it that strong???
It's what 's holding on the CAMARO emblems on the fenders. The stuff is pretty strong.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
krauser1980

Drives: 93 Transam, 2SS ABM White Rally
where can i get some of that stuff. if its as strong as you say it is, its a definite alternative to getting your embelems on. whats the exact brand name of the tape and where can i get some????
krauser1980 is offline   Reply With Quote