Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #71
camarojoe

Drives: 69 Camaro
$8000 is a crazy $$$ for an upgraded brakes setup. But you would think the stock SS brakes would get the job done good enough.

Waiting to see what other 3rd parties put out for the 2010 Camaro. Hopefully (much more) affordable and just as high performance.

I have 4 wheel SSBC Brakes on my 69 and the difference is amazing. I'll have to see if they are working on a set for the 2010.
camarojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #72
SS Mike

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM M6
Just a note, everyone is focusing on the $8k price tag for this kit, everyone seems to be missing the Brembo upgrade kit also listed in this thread. The cost for that kit is a little under $4k. That is a viable alternative to get you a great set up with better than stock performance out of the box. Maybe you just want to upgrade the fronts, then you're looking at just $2k. Its up to the individual driver based on what they plan on doing with their car. I like to be prepared

Someone asked why no pics of the rear. The rear kit is completed by Brembo but i have not picked it up yet because I wanted to see how these were going to look and feel first. They feel great by the way, completely solid. Not that the stockers weren't, but these are in a league of their own!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
SS Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #73
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I agree on the pics.

PS just to throw in my 2 cents... I have autocrossed for 10 years + and was Chief of Tech for 6 + years in my region (aside from tons of other racing experience), if you need brakes like this vs the stock SS ones to Autocross, you're doin something wrong. Aside from the fact these would immediately take you out of Stock class, putting you at a disadvantage if you don't start doing more mods to your car (assuming you plan on winning anything, which i see no other reason to race ).
No one makes 20" r-compound tires yet anyway, so stock class is a lost cause.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 AM   #74
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Rogue, I agree that this brake setup is a bit over the top for anyone less than all-out racers, but check out this thread over in the Road Course/Driving Techniques forum:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=17

Brian claimed he took his SS to the track last week for a few test sessions, and totally lost the brakes his second session in. The car was a week old. Then he flushed the fluid, went out again, and only lasted three sessions before the brakes gave out again.

Plenty of us attend HPDE track days, and the last thing you want is to be worrying about brake management. I figured with the stock Brembos, the SS would be track-ready right off the showroom floor, but now it seems you at least have to upgrade to high-temp DOT 4 brake fluid. I'm sure we'll learn more as others take their cars to the track.

BTW, my brakes almost went to the floor this past Monday at Watkins Glen, when I was braking HARD from 130 mph down to about 90 for the "Bus Stop" at the end of the back straight. And I went to the track with fresh fluid and HPS pads. Not a good feeling. Next time, I'll use the ATE Super Blue fluid.

Here's a lap at the Glen when the brakes were okay:

HPS pads really aren't made for track days, but I imagine you could make them live for a little while. Maybe a different Hawk pad just for the front at a HPDE would be a good idea? ATE Super Blue is good stuff! There's even a place in my area that stocks it. Thanks for the vid.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #75
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnos View Post
No one makes 20" r-compound tires yet anyway, so stock class is a lost cause.
Yeah but if motivated theres probably a set of 19s or even 18s that will fit around those brakes, I don't know of anyone whos done it yet, but its very possible.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #76
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Mike View Post
Agreed, i have mainly installed this kit on my car for show purposes. I do plan to do some autocrossing, but i dont plan to compete seriously.
While this upgrade looks awesome, it's purpose for show only does not justify the cost IMO. I could add other things that would enhance the show piece. Just my 2 cents.
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #77
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Yeah but if motivated theres probably a set of 19s or even 18s that will fit around those brakes, I don't know of anyone whos done it yet, but its very possible.
. . . which would also exclude you from stock class (which was the point made about the brakes). So, you could run STU, ESP, XP, SM, etc with the improved brakes.

FWIW you do not need those brakes for autocrossing. As a matter of fact I'd probably mount up the V6 brakes if I wanted to make a competitive autocrosser out of one of these cars.

That being said, those brembos in JetStream blue with the cyber gray look great!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #78
mondain

Drives: toyota
Umm its nice and all, but were the factory brembos really that bad? $4k is kinda steep for brakes IMO. Nice mod tho.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #79
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Your brake set-up looks absolutely gorgeous. But as others have eluded to - that's half my supercharger money right there....
Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #80
camarojoe

Drives: 69 Camaro
I just talked to my friend at SSBC Brakes here in Buffalo, NY and they told me they are currently developing a front and rear setup for the 2010 Camaro too.

In his words, it will be Beefy
camarojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #81
SS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaran View Post
While this upgrade looks awesome, it's purpose for show only does not justify the cost IMO. I could add other things that would enhance the show piece. Just my 2 cents.
You've obviously never been involved in the show circuit. Tell me it wasn't worth it when you see my car at SEMA.

Vortech V-3 Kit, ARH LT's, Custom Exhaust, Aeromotive A1000 Fuel System, Custom Tune - 582 rwhp 533 rwtq
22" Modulare H2 Wheels, CF Hood, Trunk, Spoiler & Roof by Carbon by Design, Custom Steering Wheel from P-Factor
Brembo GT BBK, Alpine INA-900, Alpine Type-R Speakers, Hurst Shifter, APR Splitter, Custom Quad Tip Diffuser
CKS C1 Coilovers, Falken 452 Tires, 265/35/22 & 285/35/22, Custom Grille, AAC Halos, and much more to come!!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #82
SS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Your brake set-up looks absolutely gorgeous. But as others have eluded to - that's half my supercharger money right there....
Thank you! As i've eluded to this kit isnt for everyone.

Last edited by SS Mike; 07-22-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #83
Hennessey West Coast

Drives: 2010 Camaro
They look awesome, some nice aftermarket wheels would set them off well.
Hennessey West Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #84
SS Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessey West Coast View Post
They look awesome, some nice aftermarket wheels would set them off well.
Thanks! Wheels are on the way