Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
MUFFLER QUESTION.

Hey there Camaro family, those of you who have done the quad tip install and are running mufflers behind them, what kind are you using if so, and do you have any pics of the setup.

Thanks all.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Bump,,, anybody ??? Thanks. Can't believe everyone is straight piped behind the tips...Thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
What kind of mufflers? I'm using flowmaster outlaws. I'm sure if you take your car to any exhaust shop, they'd be able to make quad tips work on your exhaust
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post
What kind of mufflers? I'm using flowmaster outlaws. I'm sure if you take your car to any exhaust shop, they'd be able to make quad tips work on your exhaust
Lol,I have the Dynomax 39494 ultraflow axleback on my car, love the sound, and have been to 3 exhaust shops that said they could not put the tips on it because they are too long and the mufflers are angled to much with not much pipe coming out the back of them to make it work. Originally I had the tips on there with a Magnaflow resonated x and didn't like the sound, or the vibrations under my shifter area, so I put the Dynomax back on.
1 shop I went to so far with 4 different muffler configurations and they said it just would not work due to the mufflers being too long to fit in with the tips. I am looking at the Dynomax Ultraflow round mufflers 4 inch diameter that the case is only 14 inches long, found a pic on the web showing my tips, the SS Clone ones attached to them, so that should work.
Just want my quad tips back on. With a little quiet rumbly exhaust that screams at WOT like it does now.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Wow that's frustrating..
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:34 AM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
You're telling me they cant get SS clones to work on these? I understand sometimes the bend can be an issue if it's too close but these stick out a reasonable amount assuming I have the right mufflers pictured below. If they are it sounds like you need to find a better area to start asking
Attached Images

*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
You're telling me they cant get SS clones to work on these? I understand sometimes the bend can be an issue if it's too close but these stick out a reasonable amount assuming I have the right mufflers pictured below. If they are it sounds like you need to find a better area to start asking
Yes it is very frustrating, been to the 1 shop 5 times with different mufflers, and yes gunmetal this is what I have on there now, they said that there is not enough room behind the muffler to shift the tubing towards the center of the 1LE valence opening..I might check some shops outside my area to see..Thanks guys.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
I installed quad tips myself on two different catbacks that ive used and had a similar problem when I had some bullet magnaflows on. What I did was cut almost all the way but not completely behind the muffler so that the gap would let the pipe bend towards the inside so that the end of the exhaust would be centered on the opening and then I welded up the part that I cut. At that point the opening at the end of the exhaust was at an angle facing the inside so then I welded the tips to the exhaust in an angle so that they appeared to be straight and centered. Its a bit complicated and I know its a little hard to understand the way I explained it but if I was able to figure it out then an expert on these stuff should have no problem doing it. Keep looking for other shops and eventually someone will be able to do it
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelardoo_12 View Post
I installed quad tips myself on two different catbacks that ive used and had a similar problem when I had some bullet magnaflows on. What I did was cut almost all the way but not completely behind the muffler so that the gap would let the pipe bend towards the inside so that the end of the exhaust would be centered on the opening and then I welded up the part that I cut. At that point the opening at the end of the exhaust was at an angle facing the inside so then I welded the tips to the exhaust in an angle so that they appeared to be straight and centered. Its a bit complicated and I know its a little hard to understand the way I explained it but if I was able to figure it out then an expert on these stuff should have no problem doing it. Keep looking for other shops and eventually someone will be able to do it
Thank you sir for the description, I can see that what you did and don't understand why the muffler shop can't see that as well. They are thinking bends in the pipe, like you I'm seeing angle cuts and some added pipe to connect it all together. Oh well I will keep looking, someone has to be able to do it, can't bee that hard, especially if they advertise "custom work". lol
Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Thank you sir for the description, I can see that what you did and don't understand why the muffler shop can't see that as well. They are thinking bends in the pipe, like you I'm seeing angle cuts and some added pipe to connect it all together. Oh well I will keep looking, someone has to be able to do it, can't bee that hard, especially if they advertise "custom work". lol
Exactly ! Maybe you could try explaining the idea to them and hopefully they get the picture and get it done. Good luck!
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote