Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Out-of-stater visiting - Need help and suggestions

Hey all! I'm from Texas (obviously) and I'm heading to Connecticut for my high school friend's wedding on September 4th. My friend and I will be making a roadtrip out of this, so I wanted to get on the appropriate Regional Forums and get some advice from people familiar with the areas I will be passing through so I don't get myself in any trouble on the way up there.

Using google maps, it looks like our trip will be sending us from San Antonio, Texas through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and then finally into Connecticut.

Can anyone here give me some pointers on what to watch out for in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Connecticut while cruisin' through?Are radar detectors frowned upon? What kinds of highway speeds should I expect along our route?

Google Maps has us on I-81 coming out of Maryland into Pennsylvania, hitting I-78 and then jumping on a whole bunch of diffierent roads as we make our way from Pennsylvania through New Jersey, New York and into Connecticut. If anyone has any better routes that might be quicker or less hassle, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm trying to avoid toll roads, but it's not that big of a deal as long as I know where they are and whether or not I know I need to have exact change ahead of time.

We will be staying in either Coventry or Baltic, and I'm not sure if we're going to be trying to find a hotel or if we're staying at our friend's house. If anyone has recommendations there, though, that's certainly some information we wouldn't mind having, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(And yeah, we're roadtripping in the Camaro )

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Where in CT will you be? and where in NY will you be passing through? If you're passing through anywhere near NY City, stay away during rush-hour.

Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia, you should be fine everywhere else. Most highway speed limits around here are 55mph...but usually under 70 is safe.

For tolls, we have "EZPass" up here and I THINK you can get a temporary one...it works on most of the east coast, so it's worth looking into. It gets linked to your credit card and you will avoid traffic. http://www.e-zpassny.com
Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Um, in Connecticut we'll be headed towards either Baltic or Coventry.

I think by the time we get to the New Jersey / New York area it should be well after rush hour (hopefully). It looks like Google Maps is telling me to use the George Washington Bridge and head north through Mount Vernon area.

The only toll road google maps has me on is US-9 North, but I told it to avoid toll roads, so if I uncheck that I think it takes me through a few others instead...

Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

If the route has you taking RT95 over the GW Bridge up into CT, that is a traffic nightmare...definitely try and do that leg of the trip either late at night or early in the AM. also it also goes right by Yankee Stadium, so if there's a game...add MORE traffic.

If you can get an ezpass, the route might be a lot shorter by NOT avoiding tolls. worth checking out.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
parksdjs

Drives: 2010 Camro 2SS
Do you have Navagation on your 2ss? If so use mapquest and down load the directions to your car. IT WORKS VERY WELL.
parksdjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

I definately will look into the ez-pass. Thanks!

I have the OnStar eNav, but I like to plan the trip out ahead of time and get to know the route so I'm not driving into what I call the "fog of war."

Old 08-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
parksdjs

You can plan it all out there, alter route, and avoid all tolls if you want. once you get it set the way you want just send to car. You can also print it out for a hard copy.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

See, I tried that before, but when I sent it to my car, all that was sent was the destination address. The route it took me on was the default route that came up on the website before I did all the alterations...

Maybe I clicked something wrong...

Old 08-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
parksdjs

I did a three day tour and it worked perfect for me.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Hmm, well, I've got a month. I'll try and get this thing figured out then

Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
PAABM

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Manual ABM
Two suggestions. 1. Dont go over 10 miles over the limit in Maryland.
2. If you are going to Coventry CT I would highly recommend skipping i-95 and the George Washington Bridge and take the Garden State Parkway or the Pallisades Parkway North to Interstate 287 east to the Tappan Zee Bridge. Once across the Tappan Zee take the Sawmill River Parkway North to 684 North to 84 East. Oh yeah you will thoroughly enjoy driving on the Sawmill and the Pallisades!
PAABM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAABM View Post
2. If you are going to Coventry CT I would highly recommend skipping i-95 and the George Washington Bridge and take the Garden State Parkway or the Pallisades Parkway North to Interstate 287 east to the Tappan Zee Bridge. Once across the Tappan Zee take the Sawmill River Parkway North to 684 North to 84 East. Oh yeah you will thoroughly enjoy driving on the Sawmill and the Pallisades!
good advice...MUCH less chance of hitting major traffic. You can also catch rt95 in CT from rt287 after you go over the Tappen Zee Br.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Sweet, thanks!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Rt 15 is also ok way to go. But 95 is a nightmare. I used to travel from CT to NJ. I always went 84 - 684 - 287 down to NJ. But on the way back I went Over the George Washington and took the very first Exit on the top of the bridge and went down to the Hutchinson Parkway which turns into the Merrit Parkway. Merrit is a very scenic route and if you arent up here often I highly reccomend taking that way. I always drove this way home from NJ because its very peaceful.

Even if in the event you got stuck in traffic here, its worth it because of the setting.

Dont use the GPS when you hit the NJ/NY/CT area. It will always take you to route 95.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote