Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
GM out done by Hyundai

During the Superbowl I think I saw a commercial for a 375Hp Hyundai. Then I saw it again today. Along the lines of speculation ... what are the odds that GM will let the Camaro debut with less HP than this Hyundai? And before I get , let me say I only brought it up cause I think it brings a little insight to what we may be getting for an engine. I can't believe that GM would let this happen. Maybe on the V6 model, but not the V8.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
mmmm...neh. I don't think so.
With Challenger rumored to have a base V8 w. ~380 hp, the Mustang rumored to be putting out 350-375 ish, and now this....I think +/-400hp for the base V8 Camaro is probably your best bet.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's only horsepower. They never mentioned any torque specs. Don't forget how easy to beat the 190-hp Civic Si (yes, I know Honda and Hyundai are not the same) is even when compared to the Cobalt Sport (173 hp) due to extremely weak torque. They still don't have OnStar or a lineage of history. It's good to see Hyundai making a good platform, but I wouldn't worry too much about considering it competition. Expect Lexus to take a small loss. Remember that Hyundai has to overcome what GM is still working to overcome—a reputation. While Toyota and Honda took advantage of low American car quality in the past, Hyundai did not make a name for itself as a pinnacle of quality cars. They were just another import car company.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
The torque number is 333 amazing for a Hyundai. They said a BMW 3 series price. Anyone expect a line for a $40k Hyundai?
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
The torque number is 333 amazing for a Hyundai. They said a BMW 3 series price. Anyone expect a line for a $40k Hyundai?
That is really impressive for most car companies, especially Hyundai. I can't believe I missed that.

Even still, I think they're going to have trouble selling it with a cursive H on the front end. It's a Hyundai. No one will back off of their BMW for one. They might defect from Lexus, but I can't imagine someone valuing Hyundai's brand higher than a company known for luxury or power. I'm not denying that the Genesis is impressive. I just think Hyundai has a long road ahead if they want this car to be accepted among luxury or performance buyers as far as brand development is concerned.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
'09-Z28

Drives: '03 Mazda 6s
The Genesis sedan won't even be competition for the Camaro. It is meant to
compete with cars like the G8, Avalon, and Maxima - according to Motor
Trend.

The coupe is said to be in competition with the Mustang and Camaro.Here's
what MotorTrend said about the coupe:
"There's no V-8 for the Hyundai's rear-drive "BT" coupe. Although it's based
on the Genesis, it's shorter and doesn't have enough space under the hood
to package the new Tau V-8. But Hyundai is wringing nearly 300 horses out
of its 3.8-liter V-6, so the car could be a credible Mustang GT-fighter for less
than $25,000."
'09-Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Very disturbing, LOL.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by '09-Z28 View Post
The Genesis sedan won't even be competition for the Camaro. It is meant to
compete with cars like the G8, Avalon, and Maxima - according to Motor
Trend.

The coupe is said to be in competition with the Mustang and Camaro.Here's
what MotorTrend said about the coupe:
"There's no V-8 for the Hyundai's rear-drive "BT" coupe. Although it's based
on the Genesis, it's shorter and doesn't have enough space under the hood
to package the new Tau V-8. But Hyundai is wringing nearly 300 horses out
of its 3.8-liter V-6, so the car could be a credible Mustang GT-fighter for less
than $25,000."
Well, putting two, and two together, if it's a Mustang Fighter, than it's bound to be a Camaro-fighter too.

But, I don't think any Sedan will impede on the Mustang/Camaro segment. BUT...best not to take chances, right?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
slightly off topic, but going back to hp and torque of american vs japanesse engines, I was reading up on the engines used in the Ariel Atom (1000 lb go cart with 300 hp). It uses a s/c'd ecotec engines for the Amerian version, and a s/c'd Honda engine in Europe. Both get 300 hp for the top version. BUT the ecotec gets 250 ft-lbs of torque but the Honda has only 163! and both of them are 2.0L engines

back on topic . . .
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
I don't think that chevrolet will let this happen the 09 Camaro is gonna be powerful they'll put the LS2 (just what i think they'll do) in the standard so i don't think that the 6 cylinder will be that bad.
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
I don't think that chevrolet will let this happen the 09 Camaro is gonna be powerful they'll put the LS2 (just what i think they'll do) in the standard so i don't think that the 6 cylinder will be that bad.
Your kidding right?

The LS2 is in the Camaro concept but will NOT be in the production model. - Its a out of date, discontinued motor lol.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
LS2 is pretty much dead. The LS3 costs about the same, gets about the same mileage, and gets more power. I hope you aren't disapointed. The articles that you have read about the LS2 going into the Camaro was either refering to the concept, or was just misinformed.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #13
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
alright i see i'm not disapointed thats just what i thought because thats what they put in the GTO and had in the concept and sorry if i don't no anything about i haven't done much research
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
IF hyundai put v8 in their coupe they will have around 380 hp..GM has couple of engine which puts more than that LS3, L92, LSA, LS9. I heard some rumors about supercharged Tau v8..but i don't think it is anywhere near HP level of supercharged LS series. of course not to mention development on future engines.
But cahllenger with their 6.4 l V8 (if it gets produce) and mustang with new boss v8 could be closer in power .
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote