Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Hypertech vs Trifecta/IPF tuning?

Can all of you guys "in the know" explain to me buying the Hypertech tune and doing it yourself vs having an internet tune (Trifecta) or having someone from IPF install the tune?

Is Hypertech more/less safe than the other two? I don't hear or read much about the Hypertech tune on here. I've searched the threads and most of them regarding the Hypertech are from 2011 or earlier.

Some of you have said that you don't notice much of a difference with the Trifecta and that the only benefit might be us guys with the A6 that can change shift speed/firmness. I've seen that you're supposed to be able to do that with the Hypertech.

If all I'm wanting to do is this along with getting rid of the CEL caused by long tubes, would the Hypertech be a good choice?

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
if I remember correctly, hypertech doesn't turn off the CEL

I might be wrong about that. lol
Old 05-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
if I remember correctly, hypertech doesn't turn off the CEL

I might be wrong about that. lol
LOL.

If that's the case...it's out of the question. Easy fix!!

Now....Trifecta or IPF???? Hahaha

Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

So....nobody knows about this??

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Honestly if it was my car I wouldn't even consider Hypertech. So that leaves Trifecta and IPF. Either way you look at it the Trifecta tune is the least expensive of the two but a lot of people really don't notice a difference with the Trifecta tune (unless your an auto and request the firmer shifts) so essentially what it does for the people that have relatively low mods (Headers, Cai, Ported TB, etc..) is basically turn off that CEL. Now the IPF tune looks more promising in terms of power and performance but will cost more especially when you add your mods and if you plan to keep the hand held tuner.

Personally if I had the money and was going to do one I would do IPF because Matt at FSP can dial it in with a dyno and I know it was done correctly while not having to receive the tunes over email and such.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
Honestly if it was my car I wouldn't even consider Hypertech. So that leaves Trifecta and IPF. Either way you look at it the Trifecta tune is the least expensive of the two but a lot of people really don't notice a difference with the Trifecta tune (unless your an auto and request the firmer shifts) so essentially what it does for the people that have relatively low mods (Headers, Cai, Ported TB, etc..) is basically turn off that CEL. Now the IPF tune looks more promising in terms of power and performance but will cost more especially when you add your mods and if you plan to keep the hand held tuner.

Personally if I had the money and was going to do one I would do IPF because Matt at FSP can dial it in with a dyno and I know it was done correctly while not having to receive the tunes over email and such.

I gotcha! Thanks for the info...and this is what I've generally been hearing.

But what I still haven't heard is why nobody wants to use the Hypertech. Everybody says they won't use it and some people say it's "crap" but nobody ever says why or how it is specifically different than the other tunes. I'm just curious on how it's so much different.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
This thread might help but I don't see it having good enough gains to buy...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172322
Old 05-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
This thread might help but I don't see it having good enough gains to buy...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172322

Right on. I saw that thread a while back but the whole thread was pretty much from 2011. A few posts at the end were from early '12 and I've been wondering what the deal was with it. Why nobody uses it, really.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
Right on. I saw that thread a while back but the whole thread was pretty much from 2011. A few posts at the end were from early '12 and I've been wondering what the deal was with it. Why nobody uses it, really.
Gotcha, but if you do decide to get the hypertech they have a good deal on them on autoanything
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
I liked the Hypertech, did 5 runs with it and averaged 13.5 flat with a best of 13.45.

Can't get near that with the IPF tune, track don't lie. Easy plug and play, no data logging and many options if your an A6.

May have to get it back.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
slotwheels

Drives: like a bat out of hell
I have a hypertech tune on my 2011 v6. It made a notable difference. My car is also an automatic so I was able to increase the shift firmness and the car also have more torque down low. Do I think it was worth the money? yes. I think the Hypertech tune is underrated. But that is just my opinion.
slotwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotwheels View Post
I have a hypertech tune on my 2011 v6. It made a notable difference. My car is also an automatic so I was able to increase the shift firmness and the car also have more torque down low. Do I think it was worth the money? yes. I think the Hypertech tune is underrated. But that is just my opinion.
Mine too.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The IPF is a great tuning module.. Also we go up to Panama City a lot, so we can perform the flash, datalogging and provide Dynojet time up there on the emerald coast!

Here is a car with the baseline STOCK tune file, then vs. the IPF tune. (No modifications were added in between the baseline pull and IPF tune)
Attached Images

Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
I liked the Hypertech, did 5 runs with it and averaged 13.5 flat with a best of 13.45.

Can't get near that with the IPF tune, track don't lie. Easy plug and play, no data logging and many options if your an A6.

May have to get it back.
So....you had the Hypertech at one point then went to the IPF? And happened to like the Hypertech tune better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotwheels View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. Could you guys get rid of CEL's (i.e. from long tube headers) with the Hypertech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt @ FSP View Post
The IPF is a great tuning module.. Also we go up to Panama City a lot, so we can perform the flash, datalogging and provide Dynojet time up there on the emerald coast!

Here is a car with the baseline STOCK tune file, then vs. the IPF tune. (No modifications were added in between the baseline pull and IPF tune)
That shows really good gains!! It does make it super convenient that you guys come to PCB. I do know IPF is the most expensive out of all the tunes, though.