Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
tav8ws6

Drives: 2003 Avalanche
GM's own performance parts

On the Camaro website it says that there will be "a tuned air intake, cat-back exhaust system..." My only question is will it be as good as some aftermarket systems. Id love to keep the car All GM. I would deffinintely go for the GM hotcam as well.
tav8ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
only time will tell bro.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think they should be. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but first I thought CORSA was making the catback (mostly because the shapes of the mufflers I saw on the trucks matched what I saw on CORSA's site) because of the dual wall stainless tips. Someone said it was actually BORLA who made them, which is fine by me because I love BORLA, especially on my '02. It has a flange that's perfect for an electric cutout and it works perfectly. Anyways, I'm sure they'll engineer parts that are at least on par with aftermarket guys and you'll be able to roll the cost into the loan with the car (although - who wants to pay interest for at least five years on an $800 exhaust...)

Anyways, I'm sure they're going to have many accessories that will be great.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think they should be. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but first I thought CORSA was making the catback (mostly because the shapes of the mufflers I saw on the trucks matched what I saw on CORSA's site) because of the dual wall stainless tips. Someone said it was actually BORLA who made them, which is fine by me because I love BORLA, especially on my '02. It has a flange that's perfect for an electric cutout and it works perfectly. Anyways, I'm sure they'll engineer parts that are at least on par with aftermarket guys and you'll be able to roll the cost into the loan with the car (although - who wants to pay interest for at least five years on an $800 exhaust...)

You are correct. It will probably be Borla. They design most of the exhausts for GMPP. I have discovered though that GM is sometimes more expensive than the regular aftermarket, without the performance to compare.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
You are correct. It will probably be Borla. They design most of the exhausts for GMPP. I have discovered though that GM is sometimes more expensive than the regular aftermarket, without the performance to compare.
Yeah, I can't relate to GMPP parts because I've never obtained them for my cars. At the time, there weren't really any choices I was looking for for them so I just looked toward the aftermarket. Hopefully GMPP will support the car better this time - it seems like they are from statements posted here and elsewhere.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
I have discovered though that GM is sometimes more expensive than the regular aftermarket, without the performance to compare.
Correct you are. Example, the cat-back that GM offers for the Cobalt SS is like $750 and doesn't gain you any more power then another aftermarket product will. It just doesn't void your warranty. Although I wouldn't say that it's an inferior product in any way.

But with the aftermarket you will find a better variety that may give you better gains, and will cost less. It's just depending on the dealer if you want a warranty backed performance part.

Regardless, I do hope that GMPP does come out with some decent parts, i.e, CAI, Cat-back, Headers, injectors, tune, etc...
Old 09-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

GM has had a lot of luck with Corsa on the Cobalt, and they probably want to continue that trend on the Camaro.

There will also be a bunch of other accessories. GM has been keeping quiet about other performance options, so we may be getting nothing or we may be getting lots of goodies.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
The only GMPP I would probably buy for my Camaro is the EFI Hot Cam. Simply because no other aftermarket manufacturer knows the LS3 like GM does, and what works best with it to get the best results. That is essential to picking a cam, instead of going for one that has absurd lift and a ridiculous LSA.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
tav8ws6

GM also made cat-backs for the Sky and Solstice. Having a near 500 hp car backed completely by a warrenty sounds like a good and safe bet to me. (having hotcam and anything else GM would make for the Camaro)
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Just for some comparison. I know it's not the same car and the aggressive nature of the cars aren't quite the same...

But the Borla catback available for the GTO was supposed to be rather timid in comparison to the Corsa.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
tav8ws6

Is that in regards to performance or sound?

Quote:
Just for some comparison. I know it's not the same car and the aggressive nature of the cars aren't quite the same...But the Borla catback available for the GTO was supposed to be rather timid in comparison to the Corsa.