Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
In regards to my latest RX Performance order.

*Please read top to bottom Sorry that it is so long *

Seems this is a hot topic lately, for those who have purchased, did purchase, or wanted to purchase, here is my latest experience. Beginning to end.

I spotted these on 5/27/13:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1le+separator

I figured it did more or less the same thing as my breather but basically seals the PCV system back into the intake. This supposedly will complete the PCV circuit on the clean side as the factory intended but with no oil ingestion. My factory clean side line did in fact direct oil back into my intake. So why not, I'll try most things once. I ordered one for my car and one for my co workers car.

So, the order of events:

May 28th 2013: First email about these 1LE separators

June 2nd 2013: Payment sent via PayPal with matching email to his email address from mine.

*Payment was claimed between June 2nd and June 5th.

*No reply concerning order confirmation, etc. Left hanging

I'm a pretty patient fellow, and this 1LE Separator not getting here overnight wasn't going to kill me. Worst case I would just let PayPal handle a dispute.

June 25th 2013: Email sent concerning the estimated ETA. Noted that I am not worried about waiting, I'm concerned about the lack of communication.

*No response until:

July 2nd 2013: I receive a picture of my separators and a USPS tracking number.

July 5th 2013: Two 1LE Separators arrive.

Now, here is the unboxing!

A box. Seems alright enough so far

Bubble wrap!

Stuff! What the hell is up with the aquarium hose? Sorry, I'm not rocking clear hose out in the wide open. I will change this out with 5/8 rubber hose. Not the end of the world, but rubber hose would be preferred here. However, I guess once could use the clear hose to see for sure that no oil is in fact passing through (and maybe this was the intention?). I will actually install mine with this clear hose and run it for a week and see if any oil makes it all the way into this contraption. Oh, you get a vacuum cap, too.

Up close. Looks like they may have been wrapped too soon and the bubble wrap left imperfections in the paint (only on the top). I will try a few different solutions around the house and see if the spots come off. To me, not an enormous deal, but once again, could have been avoided. You have to have a lot of light to notice the marks (like six 60 watt bulbs over a kitchen counter). Overall though, acceptable paint for something going under the hood. Again, my opinion. My car is a daily driver with rock chips and a scratch or two.

Together:

The bottom. The breathers seem to be well attached to the oil cap and sealant applied around the breathers vents to seal the device. Overall it feels pretty sturdy and I don't see any particular issue to pick at.

LETS GO BACK IN TIME....SUMMER 2012 (NOT PRESENT DAY)

I ordered an RX Catch Can and breather in the early summer of 2012 from JDP Motorsports. It arrived two weeks after sending the payment. Lets compare that experience to todays experience.

Packaged pretty much the same. Snug in a box.

All the parts present. Paint looked fine on everything. If I recall the paint inside the threads on the catch can made putting it together on the bracket a little difficult, but this is very minor. Nothing a thread chaser didn't take care of. The included hardware to mount can to bracket was a little lacking as well. Short bolts with no locking hardware. Again, minor. All I can really think of.

14,000 miles later I have had zero problems with the can and it is catching oil as advertised. I was under the impression (from Tracy, no less) that the amount caught would depend on how well your car broke in and the amount of blow by in the system (and therefore oil flying around). The amount I have caught in the can fills 1/5 to 1/4 of a 32 ounce Powerade (this is total, since initial installation).

IN SUMMARY OF ALL THIS

I personally haven't had a problem with a product from RX so far. They have worked as I was told they would and haven't caused any problems, come loose, fell off, or otherwise did anything other than function. To what degree his products work, the effectiveness, etc is up for you to decide. I am not here to debate that fact other than I'm fine with what I've seen thus far.

That being said, I'm not sure that I can recommend RX in good faith at this time, at least until the supposed back order is caught up and business is flowing smooth, assuming that was the problem and that it is ever alleviated. I will continue to run my RX Products that I have currently, and I suggest that those of you who wanted to purchase make an educated choice for yourself. The communication is a bit lacking, and the back order is a little odd considering people have been waiting for cans for two plus months and I received this in five weeks. Perhaps cans and separators are handled by two different people and the separator man is faster than the can man

Who knows.

But that's my nickles worth.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
SimpleGreen

FOLLOWING UP

Lets go outside. Take off my RX oil cap/breather.

Install RX '1LE Style Separator'.

Uh oh, It's VERY tight. Have to press down on engine cover to get the separator on. This could put undue stress between the cap and the PCV breather on top of it. Hmmm.....

Solution. Remove this little rubber grommet from the cover. It serves no purpose other than keeping the engine cover a little more still and helping catch any oil spilled so you can mop it up before it gets all over the valve cover.

Now it comes on and off very easy. That extra 1/16th to an 1/8 inch was all that was needed. Engine cover stays still, too.

All that being said, I'm sure throwing the old clean side line in the trash and putting a new hose in place with a little filter and hiding the whole thing under the engine cover with a stock oil cap just might do the same thing for less. But, this does, In my opinion, look pretty neat. Granted, all it really is is a PCV breather epoxied to the top of an oil cap and painted the color of your choice. If it's worth $80 to you, so be it. Now that I know how they are made, I wouldn't encourage a handy man to buy one when you could make it yourself and probably not spend 5 weeks doing it.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
RX IS EVIL LOL....

Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
RX IS EVIL LOL....
Why?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
FOLLOWING UP

Lets go outside. Take off my RX oil cap/breather.

Install RX '1LE Style Separator'.

Uh oh, It's VERY tight. Have to press down on engine cover to get the separator on. This could put undue stress between the cap and the PCV breather on top of it. Hmmm.....

Solution. Remove this little rubber grommet from the cover. It serves no purpose other than keeping the engine cover a little more still and helping catch any oil spilled so you can mop it up before it gets all over the valve cover.

Now it comes on and off very easy. That extra 1/16th to an 1/8 inch was all that was needed. Engine cover stays still, too.

All that being said, I'm sure throwing the old clean side line in the trash and putting a new hose in place with a little filter and hiding the whole thing under the engine cover with a stock oil cap just might do the same thing for less. But, this does, In my opinion, look pretty neat. Granted, all it really is is a PCV breather epoxied to the top of an oil cap and painted the color of your choice. If it's worth $80 to you, so be it. Now that I know how they are made, I wouldn't encourage a handy man to buy one when you could make it yourself and probably not spend 5 weeks doing it.
Can you post some more pictures when all of your hoses are routed? I'm curious to see how it ends up looking when done.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
*Please read top to bottom Sorry that it is so long *

Seems this is a hot topic lately, for those who have purchased, did purchase, or wanted to purchase, here is my latest experience. Beginning to end.

I spotted these on 5/27/13:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1le+separator

I figured it did more or less the same thing as my breather but basically seals the PCV system back into the intake. This supposedly will complete the PCV circuit on the clean side as the factory intended but with no oil ingestion. My factory clean side line did in fact direct oil back into my intake. So why not, I'll try most things once. I ordered one for my car and one for my co workers car.

So, the order of events:

May 28th 2013: First email about these 1LE separators

June 2nd 2013: Payment sent via PayPal with matching email to his email address from mine.

*Payment was claimed between June 2nd and June 5th.

*No reply concerning order confirmation, etc. Left hanging

I'm a pretty patient fellow, and this 1LE Separator not getting here overnight wasn't going to kill me. Worst case I would just let PayPal handle a dispute.

June 25th 2013: Email sent concerning the estimated ETA. Noted that I am not worried about waiting, I'm concerned about the lack of communication.

*No response until:

July 2nd 2013: I receive a picture of my separators and a USPS tracking number.

July 5th 2013: Two 1LE Separators arrive.

Now, here is the unboxing!

A box. Seems alright enough so far

Bubble wrap!

Stuff! What the hell is up with the aquarium hose? Sorry, I'm not rocking clear hose out in the wide open. I will change this out with 5/8 rubber hose. Not the end of the world, but rubber hose would be preferred here. However, I guess once could use the clear hose to see for sure that no oil is in fact passing through (and maybe this was the intention?). I will actually install mine with this clear hose and run it for a week and see if any oil makes it all the way into this contraption. Oh, you get a vacuum cap, too.

Up close. Looks like they may have been wrapped too soon and the bubble wrap left imperfections in the paint (only on the top). I will try a few different solutions around the house and see if the spots come off. To me, not an enormous deal, but once again, could have been avoided. You have to have a lot of light to notice the marks (like six 60 watt bulbs over a kitchen counter). Overall though, acceptable paint for something going under the hood. Again, my opinion. My car is a daily driver with rock chips and a scratch or two.

Together:

The bottom. The breathers seem to be well attached to the oil cap and sealant applied around the breathers vents to seal the device. Overall it feels pretty sturdy and I don't see any particular issue to pick at.

LETS GO BACK IN TIME....SUMMER 2012 (NOT PRESENT DAY)

I ordered an RX Catch Can and breather in the early summer of 2012 from JDP Motorsports. It arrived two weeks after sending the payment. Lets compare that experience to todays experience.

Packaged pretty much the same. Snug in a box.

All the parts present. Paint looked fine on everything. If I recall the paint inside the threads on the catch can made putting it together on the bracket a little difficult, but this is very minor. Nothing a thread chaser didn't take care of. The included hardware to mount can to bracket was a little lacking as well. Short bolts with no locking hardware. Again, minor. All I can really think of.

14,000 miles later I have had zero problems with the can and it is catching oil as advertised. I was under the impression (from Tracy, no less) that the amount caught would depend on how well your car broke in and the amount of blow by in the system (and therefore oil flying around). The amount I have caught in the can fills 1/5 to 1/4 of a 32 ounce Powerade (this is total, since initial installation).

IN SUMMARY OF ALL THIS

I personally haven't had a problem with a product from RX so far. They have worked as I was told they would and haven't caused any problems, come loose, fell off, or otherwise did anything other than function. To what degree his products work, the effectiveness, etc is up for you to decide. I am not here to debate that fact other than I'm fine with what I've seen thus far.

That being said, I'm not sure that I can recommend RX in good faith at this time, at least until the supposed back order is caught up and business is flowing smooth, assuming that was the problem and that it is ever alleviated. I will continue to run my RX Products that I have currently, and I suggest that those of you who wanted to purchase make an educated choice for yourself. The communication is a bit lacking, and the back order is a little odd considering people have been waiting for cans for two plus months and I received this in five weeks. Perhaps cans and separators are handled by two different people and the separator man is faster than the can man

Who knows.

But that's my nickles worth.

I can't believe I took 5 min out of my day to read this thread...

You really needed to get that off your chest?? Wow, another RX hater that needs to be heard, but still uses there products. some people have to much time on there hands to write about catch cans and breathers..

If your point was to say you could make them, then you should of made a DIY, to show people, and do something positive in this forum.

But honestly for Pete's sake, I think we heard enough about RX, we all know there is some issues there...

My nickels worth
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Why?
ok well I guess I cant state my thought about a guy that is ripping people off...

RX IS THE BEST THING EVER... EVERYONE BUY RX STUFF, I LOVE IT IS JUST THE BEES KNEES!!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
ok well I guess I cant state my thought about a guy that is ripping people off...

RX IS THE BEST THING EVER... EVERYONE BUY RX STUFF, I LOVE IT IS JUST THE BEES KNEES!!
Not what I said. If you had a problem with RX make a thread in the vendors feedback section.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Robinson1 View Post
I can't believe I took 5 min out of my day to read this thread...

You really needed to get that off your chest?? Wow, another RX hater that needs to be heard, but still uses there products. some people have to much time on there hands to write about catch cans and breathers..

If your point was to say you could make them, then you should of made a DIY, to show people, and do something positive in this forum.

But honestly for Pete's sake, I think we heard enough about RX, we all know there is some issues there...

My nickels worth
I can't believe you did either.

Don't like it, don't read it? But hey, I can post about it just as much as you can complain about me posting about it. We both have that right.

Hater, not really. I'm feeling pretty neutral about them right now. I have one great product, one fair one, and some lacking customer service and long ass lead times. Thought it would be good information to help someone choose.

As for making one, I WOULD like to get the parts and write that up. Should be fairly easy. I mean, it's an oil cap with a hole punched in it and a PCV breather from an old school V8. I'm a little lacking on time right now.

Edit: I'm stuck inside tonight due to rain. Made a parts list to make one

Best part? I didn't realize until later I slightly damaged the oil cap while putting it on because it was too tight with the grommet in. SO, I waited 5 weeks for a simple DIY style part and I accidentally damaged it on my own

Hah. Oh well.

Last edited by SimpleGreen; 07-08-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
if someone deserves a bad wrap, then so be it
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
SimpleGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
if someone deserves a bad wrap, then so be it
That they do If someone wishes (who has never worked with RX) they can use this to help decided if they do indeed want to avoid them. I don't hate them, but I won't be in any hurry to support their business, either.

Closed Thread