Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
Question Magnaflow resonated xpipe install correct?

i am not sure if the exhaust shop i went to installed my magnaflow resonated xpipe correctly. i thought that you take out the hpipe and put this in its place. but he said no you take off the 2 stock resonators and put the xpipe there since he said it wasnt actually a pipe? so my 2 stock resonators are gone but my stock h pipe is still there and he took off that metal piece thats bolted on where the 2 stock resonators were so that the xpipe would fit. should i take it back and tell him that he installed it wrong?
Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
This will help. What he did may not be wrong, but certainly not what 99% of us did with our set-up.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Mine is fully custom. But I did what your guy did. Heres my set up. I like the sound a lot.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383481
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
Gee
Silver Ice

Also the piece he removed is your tunnel brace and isnt necessarily required but it is not meant to be taken off. I have mine off and have had it off for thousands of miles, but am replacing it with a reinforced one with a different depth, so my xpipe doesnt hit off of it.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

thanks guys but i thought the whole point of the x pipe was to remove the h pipe. all he did was remove the stock resonators and put the x pipe there in its place. should i go back and show them those pics u put?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamslam3 View Post
thanks guys but i thought the whole point of the x pipe was to remove the h pipe. all he did was remove the stock resonators and put the x pipe there in its place. should i go back and show them those pics u put?
That is the usual location, and yes usually is used to replace the h pipe. But its real purpose is to reduce rasp. Since you eliminated your resonators you will get a louder, but not raspy exhaust set up.

Basically the xpipe will do its job perfectly, but will be a little louder since you took away stock resonators. The real question is, Does it produce the sound you wanted/expected. If not, have him put them back in. This will probably cost you extra as you should've been specific before the install and not after.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #7
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

o ok thats fine then. so should i get the h pipe area removed and have them just put in straight pipes in its place? (just in the h pipe area) or would that not do anything?
and just to add more info i have mrt v1
Old 12-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamslam3 View Post
o ok thats fine then. so should i get the h pipe area removed and have them just put in straight pipes in its place? or would that not do anything?
and just to add more info i have mrt v1
As long as it has the right sound that you like, then leave it. H pipes are meant to provide lower end torque and a lower growl for american muscle cars. So leaving it would be a good idea.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 AM   #9
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
As long as it has the right sound that you like, then leave it. H pipes are meant to provide lower end torque and a lower growl for american muscle cars. So leaving it would be a good idea.

Removing the H-pipe on our V6 will not change the low end torque enough to even notice.

As for the sound, I installed the X pipe to take care of the RASP that was produced from the LT headers. Putting it where the H-pipe seemed like the only logical location. Not sure why a shop would drop it in where the resonators are located.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Removing the H-pipe on our V6 will not change the low end torque enough to even notice.

As for the sound, I installed the X pipe to take care of the RASP that was produced from the LT headers. Putting it where the H-pipe seemed like the only logical location. Not sure why a shop would drop it in where the resonators are located.
Yes sir, that is probably true but I haven't done any before/after dynos for the hpipe removal I did. I was explaining to him what an h pipe is for in general. And how it works. Above I explain that the x pipe is made for the rasp.

Last edited by Gee; 12-15-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Yes sir, that is probably true but I haven't done any before/after dynos for the hpipe removal I did. I was explaining to him what an h pipe is for in general. And how it works. Above I explain that the x pipe is made for the rasp.

I agree, I didn't do any before or after either.......all good.......
Old 12-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
I agree, I didn't do any before or after either.......all good.......
Team work, F$% yeah lol
Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
The problem seems to be that a shop didn't do the work that was requested of them.
When I go to a shop to have work done, I expect the work to be done the way I request it and pay for it. I have a reson for requesting the work a certain way.

In the end, if you are satisifed with the results, that is what matters though.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote