Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
With Pirelli Scorpions my Camaro drives fine in the snow including going up hill. It handles better than my fwd Impala SS did with all seasons.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
This is the third winter in Michigan with my Camaro. First year with the stock 19" all-seasons was ok, but not the greatest. Once I got the Blizzak snow tires, this thing is the best in the winter. With the stabilitrack and traction control it is actually difficult to fishtail it or loose traction (unless you are driving like a complete moron.) Been through over 6" of snow with no issues.
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by av9022 View Post
Hi

I'm in the market for a Camaro SS and I was wondering how the vehicle drives in the snow. I live in Michigan and I was going to use it as my daily driver.
Snow? What snow? This has been a crazy winter here in Mid-Michigan! We have no snow on the ground and none in the immediate future... as I said... CRAZY!

BTW... I had Scorpions on my 2010 Camaro and they were great... as others mentioned easily made it through 6 to 8 inches of unplowed snow!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
I live in Iowa and I understand not wanting to drive it in the snow. Mine is put up on jackstands for the winter. As far as the battery goes, you can always buy a trickle charger and plug it in. Keeps your battery from dying.
Hey not trying to bash or anything, but the camaro's suspension is meant to be under load, meaning that it is NOT meant to be on jackstands for extended periods of time... such as a whole winter.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I got mine out and going last year during the groundhog day blizzard with the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires.

You will be fine.

Turn off Traction control if you are getting stuck, this will allow the tires to spin down to get traction, then turn it back on once you are moving.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
No snow this winter, but last winter had quite a bit while on leave in Ohio... on my P-Zeros in 4+ inches and no problems at all. If you can't drive in snow to begin with, you will have problems.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Turn off Traction control if you are getting stuck, this will allow the tires to spin down to get traction, then turn it back on once you are moving.
Didn't know that. Will keep that in mind! I may try this in a parking lot the next time we get snowfall.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
TROndrey

Drives: 2010 IBM 1LT/RS
I bought Blizzak WS70s and MSW14 17" rims from Tire Rack for ~$850 shipped. These tires are absolutely amazing!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
MRT v2.0 Axle-Back
RX Performance Catch Can
TROndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
I really couldn't tell you. I imagine not very well, especially if you get more that 6 inches. These cars sit so low, it probably wouldn't take much to get stuck. And, I'd worry about busting off the front spoiler going through a snow drift.

I bought my Camaro with the intention of parking it in the winter. It's NOT my daily driver. We haven't had much snow here in Wisconsin this year (knock on wood) so I have driven my Camaro some to keep the battery charged. But the roads have been dry and snow free.

As far as snow tires go .... hmmmm you'd have to have a complete set of plain Jane rims. That would be an added expense. And somehow, snow tires on a Camaro wouldn't look cool.
As somebody who drives their Camaro SS every day in the snow, I completely disagree with this ^

My SS drives better in the snow (with proper snow tires, of course) than any other vehicle I've driven. Better than my 4x4 Toyota pickup, better than my Hummer H3T. No joke. Plenty of low end torque and a 50/50 weight distribution make this a great winter vehicle. As far as getting stuck: you won't if you don't do anything stupid. The TC and StabilliTrack work wonders.

6" of snow is no problem. And nobody in their right mind would plow into a drift big enough to damage the front end anyways so that's a moot point.

As far as snow tires on a Camaro not looking cool, I beg to differ. I did get decent rims instead of just plain steel wheels (which look pretty cool anyways, esp in black) but regardless, I think all would agree that it does not look "not cool"

This pic was taken just moments ago:
Attached Images

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
no, when the road maintance guys start spreading ashe and salt SB goes in to "dry Dock" til we get some hard rain in the spring to wash the road treatments away. Don't have a problem with people that drive there's in the snow this time of year and if I did have to drive it in some light snow it wouldn't be that big a deal but I try to not to if I don't have to, and I don't. Live close to work and have use of a truck whenever I have to run a couple errons now and then. more than happy to keep SB clean and safe . To each there own!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
These threads should come with a heading of "If you don't/won't drive your Camaro in winter then don't bother posting".

I'm happy for the people who can afford to pay for a car and not be bothered to drive it in *gasp* snow. But if you're not actually adding anything useful to the thread, what's the point?

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #26
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
But if you're not actually adding anything useful to the thread, what's the point?
I think everyone has a different perspective, it's good to have different views. either way it is ok. as long as your enjoying your camaro in you own way it is all good IMO

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Hey not trying to bash or anything, but the camaro's suspension is meant to be under load, meaning that it is NOT meant to be on jackstands for extended periods of time... such as a whole winter.
My dealer never said "why", but when I asked him about winter storage, among the things he mentioned was, do not place it on jack stands.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #28
CSM088

Drives: 1981 Z28 // 2010 1SS LS3
Believe it or not I have been driving my SS in a mild Winnipeg winter for over a week now. With the Pirelli summer tires on!

I can manage but i do not recommend this!

I have winter tires on order and can't wait to put them on. Regardless I fully recommend the SS as a DD thru winter (with winter tires of course).
CSM088 is offline   Reply With Quote