Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
my fronts i run at 36 psi

my rears at 32 psi... this is because I have a wider tire in the rear, with the same aspect ratio. I lowered it so I would have an even contact patch across the tire. If I didn't, the center of my tire would wear faster than the outside

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post

my rears at 32 psi... this is because I have a wider tire in the rear, with the same aspect ratio. I lowered it so I would have an even contact patch across the tire. If I didn't, the center of my tire would wear faster than the outside
i just put all 4 of mine (19" stock) back to 37 psi. Compared to my last car, these tires are SIGNIFICANTLY less low-profile. So I'll go with the slightly harsher ride to get some better gas milage.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
The Door Sticker is the best place to start. Some spritied drivers add a couple of pounds for better handling but this will cause the ride to stiffen. Here is a link from Tire Rack regarding air pressue.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #18
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post

what tire/wheel set-up do you run? Typically the issue you mention above would be the result of a wrong size tire vs rim.

You may have more of an even contact patch, but the tire is not operating in the pressure/temperature it needs to give the best handling.

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Ok, so related question: when driving on the track - not drag racing - should you increase the pressure or decrease? By how much?

When I ride my motorcycle on the track, I always remove 3-4 lbs per tire, then after the 1st session, recheck and fill or let more out.

I've seen some people add air when I think that's the opposite based on heat buildup. Some track classes have also said to increase pressure.

Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #20
Erik@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Ok, so related question: when driving on the track - not drag racing - should you increase the pressure or decrease? By how much?

When I ride my motorcycle on the track, I always remove 3-4 lbs per tire, then after the 1st session, recheck and fill or let more out.

I've seen some people add air when I think that's the opposite based on heat buildup. Some track classes have also said to increase pressure.

Thanks!
Well, typically tire pressures raise quite a bit when at the track. Certain tires more then others though. Now certain tracks that have ovals and a high banking might require a little more pressure in the right front, but generally air needs to be removed.

With my Nitto's I usually start at 30/31, and adjust after a few laps depending on temps and pressure. My Toyo's get hotter so usually start about 29/30.

But everyday at the track is different, ambient temperature, humidity, driving style, suspension set-up, alignment etc all play a factor in it so where the final number is always the same for a certain tire, the starting pressure could be different every time.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Thanks Erik...I'll start lower and check from there!
9/22 Willow Springs, CA!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #22
Erik@Torq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Thanks Erik...I'll start lower and check from there!
9/22 Willow Springs, CA!
No problem, let me know if you have any questions at all. You can always call if you need any help when on the track!

Let us know how you do!

/Erik