Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
sean90

Drives: 2014 2SS
Camaro 1SS handling

Sorry if this is the incorrect place to post a question like this. My question though is: What are the handling characteristics of the 1ss? I have searched the internet for a review containing information and I found almost nothing. The best was like 3 sentences long, still not much help.

I am a guy coming from a tuner car background, previously owned a 350Z that I drove through the mountains of CA a lot. It handled amazingly. Now I am considering getting a 1ss, and I know muscle cars aren't known for their handling in corners.

If I were to get the dealer suspension package would this improve handling to something which is compareable to what I had with my 350z? (Coilovers on stiff setting, stiff sway bars, little body roll)

Or if I am looking for characteristics like that should I just stay away from the muscle car world?
sean90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
look into the 1LE's (I imagine that is what you mean by the "dealer suspension package"?)... stock for stock they will outhandle a 350z.

a normal 1SS I'm not sure. 2010-2011MY's pushed so in 2012 GM changed the sway bars to help balance the car a bit better.

That said, these cars have great potential in them with how solid the platform is. With the right parts it is unbelievable what they can do.

also check the new Z/28 and ask yourself again if muscle cars can turn.

Vid of the Z/28 Ring run

Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
From the factory the Camaro comes 'dumbed down' for the general public,
This means that the car must understeer in the turn as it starts to loose traction.

This is the safest option from a manufacturer stand point, but from a performance driving stand point if you push the car beyond 7/10 it will more perform how you want it to out of the box. Nothing wrong with that, it's how most cars sold in the US are due to lawsuits and such.

This 'problem' can easily be corrected however with aftermarket upgrades to the suspension, as was mentioned, the 2012 and newer V8's have an upgraded rear bar with helps, but the cars are still designed to have understeer at the limit. To be perfect, most pro drivers will want the car to oversteer a bit, or at the very least be neutral in the turns. This however could be a bad thing with someone that isn't experienced enough.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
sean90

Thank you for the responses. Yes 1LE is package is what I meant.
It would be a daily driver for to/from work and then hitting canyon roads on my days off for some fun. From the answers given it sounds like I would be happy with it as long as I am not looking it to be only a canyon carver as someone stated.

thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean90 View Post
It would be a daily driver for to/from work and then hitting canyon roads on my days off for some fun. From the answers given it sounds like I would be happy with it as long as I am not looking it to be only a canyon carver as someone stated.

thanks!
The handling characteristics of a 1LE are excellent. I test drove a 2010 2ss camaro before the handling improvements and it was an ok handling car. The 1LE has significant improvements over that.

As for if you will be happy with it. That depends on what you like. Although it's a great handling car it's still a big heavy car with a long wheelbase. It's not going to handle the same as a lighter shorter wheel base car.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean90 View Post

thanks!
I kind of assumed you'd be checking off next to where it says "1LE" . . .

Out of the box, I would expect the 1LE to be just a little more "deliberate" in its cornering behavior than the lighter and shorter-wheelbased 350Z (especially one that's been given a few suspension tweaks). But I also expect the 1LE to have slightly better ultimate grip and a little less understeer than a stock-tired 350Z, even one with the Track package (R&T lists "moderate understeer" for the 350Z/TP, "mild understeer" for the 2013 1LE).

The only other comparisons I can find that have any numbers at all require comparisons agains a third car. The 370Z in stock category SCCA autocross trim turns "all-out driving" run times fractionally better than a stock category 2007 Mustang. I'm pretty sure that the Mustang involved was a Shelby GT (not GT500) model, which back then was to the "plain" GT about what the 1LE is to the "plain" SS today. That Mustang probably falls somewhere between a "plain SS" and a 1LE at least in an overall handling sense.

On a tight, transition-heavy autocross course, either the 350Z/370Z or the Shelby GT ought to give a 1LE all (and possibly more than) it can handle based on a lighter/shorter 'nimbleness" factor. But I would also expect a production-stock 1LE to show equally stock Z350/370's the way around a more open arena such as on a real road course or most any canyon run. Consensus already puts the 1LE better than the Mustangs out on the tracks.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
theitalianflip

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1le Summit White
When i was looking for a car a few months ago, i was looking for something that handled really well and had the power behind it. I ended up getting the 2014 1Le and love it.
I had a 2000 Porsche booster before it (it had eibachs, wheels, hardtop and exhaust) Even though the 1LE is a massive car, it feels and has the grip as the Boxster.

I've had my share of import cars before this (1990 integra GS, 2 datsun 240z's 240sx, 300zx, nissan nx2000) and agree that grip is more fun than power, but in the 1LE you get both.

Note: For everyone that thinks I'm an import kid moving to the camaro world, I've also had a 1970 nova, 1968 buick skylark custom (first car), 1964 cutlass F85 and a handful of old mercedes
I just love cars, thats all.

2014 2SS 1LE summit white
theitalianflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
sean90

Thank you everyone for the responses, you have provided me with some valuable information and comparisons.

Im 90% sure a 1SS 1LE will be the car I get within the next few months =P
Old 01-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
I'll be blunt.My Pedderized SS SMOKES Zs on the road course!
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote