Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Some wisdom regarding replacing brakes

I have a 2012 v6 RS with 10k miles. I'm considering buying some baer Decelarotors. Problem is I've only got 10k miles on it, it brakes great and no squeeking. Does it make sense to drop $500 in rotors and pads or wait till I have more wear? In other words will I get enough breaking benefit for non track driving to offset replacing them now? Thanks ahead for your input.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
When i give advice on upgrades, i typically start with "What does the car do that you don't like, or not do as well as you would like"

With that said, brake rotors by themselves will not make your car stop any better 99% of the time, The 1% where they will help is when they are being abused and get hot.

Brake Pads can be installed that will help with everyday stopping and can make a difference for minimal costs,

Beyond that going to a bigger brake caliper/rotor will help even more, but also cost a lot more.

Now on the flip side,
What good quality performance rotors will typically do is prevent pulsation for a lot longer than a stock rotors. I run the DBA rotors on my cars, i was getting about 8k out of the stock rotors before i would need to machine them or replace them. On the 3rd time at about 25k i upgraded to the DBA 4000 Series Slotted rotors and those would go about 25k before i needed to do anything with them. (approx due to a number of Track Days towards the end of their life that pushed them over the edge) I then replaced them with the DBA 5000 Series Slotted 2 piece rotors, and got 40k out of them, with a few Track Days in there. On their own the rotors didn't make the car stop any different on a day to day basis, but at the track they made a big difference, and with the pulsation they made a big difference.

I'm a bit harder on my brakes than most people are, so i don't expect most to go through the same things that i've gone through with Pads and Rotors, but it has given me a good background on the subject.

I've run the Hawk Ceramic pads, and they are good for low dust, but don't stop any better (possibly even a bit worse) than stock.
The HPS are a better option, a bit more dust, but more braking ability,
The HP+ are the more aggressive of the Hawk Street pads, this is what i have on the car currently, and they are awesome from a daily driver braking stand point, though they do make more dust, and can squeal every now and then, the braking ability of them more than makes up for it for me.

If i can help with anything please let me know.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Lacpac

VERY helpful. Thank you. I'm going to ride out these pads and rotors then upgrade when it's time.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
See ya in a few years.. I bought the Bear Decelarotors because at 55000 my stock rotors were rusting and it was browning the inside of the wheels. My rotors had plenty of life left, it's just a daily driver. That browning of the wheels really made me change my mind, and they are so sharp looking. You'll find most upgrades could be done without, what fun would that be. Good Luck with your car.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
I have a 2012 v6 RS with 10k miles. I'm considering buying some baer Decelarotors. Problem is I've only got 10k miles on it, it brakes great and no squeeking. Does it make sense to drop $500 in rotors and pads or wait till I have more wear? In other words will I get enough breaking benefit for non track driving to offset replacing them now? Thanks ahead for your input.
I did it to mine right away.If that's something you want then do it They look cool,and you will smile everyday you look at them.I would of done it to my 1LE,but i want to get her paid for before i start doing stuff.I went with the Baer decelerators as well.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Lacpac

Thanks guys. If I get some decent sales this year ill start a Camaro fund for the next step mods / Brakes! It's amazing how fast the dollars added up in the first 18 months. Over $1500!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I did it to mine right away.If that's something you want then do it They look cool,and you will smile everyday you look at them.I would of done it to my 1LE,but i want to get her paid for before i start doing stuff.I went with the Baer decelerators as well.

Car looks awesome, really nice pictures you posted. Did you Plasti dip your rims? Love that spoiler!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote