Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Should the V6 auto get a LSD?
Yes, it should be a standard feature. 38 51.35%
Yes, it should be an option. 24 32.43%
No, the stability control is enough. 14 18.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #29
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
V6 mustangs actually have huge after market support. Not as much as GTs but huge compared to what little fbody V6 cars have. It took forever to even get headers for the 3.8 V6. Only custom converters were offered.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #30
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
V6 mustangs actually have huge after market support. Not as much as GTs but huge compared to what little fbody V6 cars have. It took forever to even get headers for the 3.8 V6. Only custom converters were offered.
Yeah, I just meant in comparison to the Mustang GT, when talking engine wise...
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #31
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I didn't want to throw out the performance argument since the SS is supposed to be the performance model. I'm not spending $8k just to get things I should have available to me at the very least as an option. I would get LSD and Brembos for sure.

GM tries to cut too many corners. They love to completely abandon and ignore the V6 after market crowd. Just make the engine the only difference. Just like it was in the 4th gens. They are forcing me to either look elsewhere or consider a 1y used SS(will probably drop $8k in the first year).
Yeah I have to agree with you, which is why I had started a poll a while ago for GM to offer Brembo's on the V6, but not enough people wanted them so I guess the dealer can install them if you have big enough rims.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #32
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Good observation. If Dragoneye sees this post he's going to have my head... but I think while there will be some aftermarket support out there for the V6 Camaro, I think it's going to be largely overlooked sorta with the V6 Mustang. I mean yeah there are turbo and supercharger kits out there for the V6 Mustang, but there's not as much out there like there is for the Mustang GT. If anyone here is planning on getting the V6 Camaro, and has performance in mind, and thinks they are saving themselves some cash by not getting the SS, and then using that money to upgrade their V6's are going to be making big mistakes...
I speak from experience here, the v6 mustang has HUGE aftermarket support for not being the 'performance' model. The cool thing about it is it is STILL growing, this long into the car's life, and the v6 aftermarket gets bigger every day. Cams, heads, headers, anything you can think of and you can find it.

I'd be happy if the v6 camaro's after market support was even half of what the current 4.0 has.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #33
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
Here's a better question. Why would you buy an automatic sports car? I mean unless one of your arms and/or legs are crippled and/or missing?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Here's a better question. Why would you buy an automatic sports car? I mean unless one of your arms and/or legs are crippled and/or missing?
The convenience. There are (believe it or not) those who like the feel of automatics over a manual. Some people don't like manuals or can't drive them due to patience.

Then there's uber-autos like the one in the Camaro...when you live in a questionable area...where manual might be a pain through the city or around hills...the ability for a shiftable automatic tends to win people over...like me.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #35
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
A question to you. Why would I want a slower 1/4 mile sports car?

I see you drive a RX8. In the world of imports manuals are faster due to the loss of whatever little torque they have. In the V8 world where plenty of torque is available automatics are faster even though manuals put more power to the wheels. Autos will get a quicker e.t, but manuals will get a higher mph. E.t.'s win races.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 AM   #36
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The convenience. There are (believe it or not) those who like the feel of automatics over a manual. Some people don't like manuals or can't drive them due to patience.

Then there's uber-autos like the one in the Camaro...when you live in a questionable area...where manual might be a pain through the city or around hills...the ability for a shiftable automatic tends to win people over...like me.
I agree with you Dragoneye, this was very well said!
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #37
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

Obviously if you want to relax while driving your car, the automatic is the only way to go. Automatics feel a lot smoother and you can have one of your hands free at all times. You can even have both hands free and drive with your leg on the bottom part of the steering wheel if the need arrises while driving straight. Since there is a delay after hitting the gas for split second, you can slam on the breaks real fast if someone happens to jump in front of the car. In a manual you would hit the person no doubt since the acceleration is instant.

The Manual will become more expensive to maintain as time goes on buying a new clutch. The tapshift will give you manual-like control if the need arrises. And the majority of wives will be able to drive the auto vs the stick. Resellability is another reason as the auto will be easier to sell. One last reason would be if you got injured and couldn't use one of your feet properly or one of your arms, then you're in trouble as you would have problems driving the stick. This happened to me after knee surgery and shoulder surgery. I'm all better now, however I may need additional surgery in the future. I want to buy a manual Camaro but I also have to wiegh the pro's and con's. Plus my wife would be much happier if I got the auto and sometimes that is the most important reason. However I am getting an 8
Old 11-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #38
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
And the majority of wives will be able to drive the auto vs the stick.
You're right. I'll definitely get the manual transmission.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #39
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Should the V6 auto get a Limited Slip Differential? As of now all models but the auto V6's will get one, so I would think it would just be easier in terms of streamlining production parts if they offered it. The LSD would most likely improve safety in bad weather conditions (I say most likely since I am not sure about the details of the stability control system). Additionally, since the auto tranny is an extra cost option, I think they should throw in a LSD just cause of the big price jump!
You guys are forgetting about those wnderful "summer" tires that come with SS and RS. They will be great in the snow and ice.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #40
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
You guys are forgetting about those wnderful "summer" tires that come with SS and RS. They will be great in the snow and ice.
Yeah good point, a LT/RS auto with no LSD would probably not be able to make agressive/abrupt maneuvers as fast.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #41
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
GM tries to cut too many corners. They love to completely abandon and ignore the V6 after market crowd. Just make the engine the only difference. Just like it was in the 4th gens. They are forcing me to either look elsewhere or consider a 1y used SS(will probably drop $8k in the first year).
the transmissions were slightly different in the 4th gens between v-6 and v-8 and 93-97 and 98-02

Quote:
because you dont give into that bullisht high school mentality that its not a real car if it isnt a manual. just like the "die-hard v-8" people saying they were going to get the v-8 no matter what the price, then the price came out and "oh, well I guess Ill get the v-6..... cus its still pretty badass"
does it matter in the end what someone else buys for their personal needs and preferences if it is different than you? no. and just so you know, a friend of mine is a parapelegic and drives stick. he runs 10s in his trans am. lol

heres the best question. why the hell do you care if someone wants to buy an auto over a manual? i mean, unless that would make you less of a man to not drive stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Yeah good point, a LT/RS auto with no LSD would probably not be able to make agressive/abrupt maneuvers as fast.
that all depends on the driver's skill. i think i might start a tally of the number of Camaro related accidents after the car is released.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #42
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
In the V8 world where plenty of torque is available automatics are faster even though manuals put more power to the wheels. Autos will get a quicker e.t, but manuals will get a higher mph. E.t.'s win races.
True. automatics obviously will get quicker and more consistent times. BUT unless you are buying a car specifically for drag racing would this really hold. Not to mention if you get an V8 and are putting down some real power. You'll probably have to replace the stock auto trans anyways...
Quote:
The Manual will become more expensive to maintain as time goes on buying a new clutch.
Hmm.. I'm going to debate a little on that. If you know how to properly drive a stick, drive conservatively and don't burn the clutch a stock clutch in a manual can last you many years. We had a 84 Celica that we got rid of in like 1999 or early 2k, but I believe we only had the clutch replaced once if at all...
Also the prices of clutches have gone down, although after labor and everything it can still get pricey.

But now with how complicated and advanced as automatics are getting, they are becoming more costly to repair (if they do happen to break on you) and now more so I've just seen that instead of repairing a tranny the auto trans just gets replaced and that can cost 2-3k alone for the whole transmission.

A manual is mechanically less complicated and if any wear and tear problems occur most of the time just replace the clutch and you're good to go.

Quote:
The tapshift will give you manual-like control if the need arrises. And the majority of wives will be able to drive the auto vs the stick. Resellability is another reason as the auto will be easier to sell. One last reason would be if you got injured and couldn't use one of your feet properly or one of your arms, then you're in trouble as you would have problems driving the stick.
That's true, autos are much easier to sell vs manuals. And with injuries temporarily disabling your left leg or foot... Also advantages for owning an automatic...

... yeah my girlfriend has been nagging me for over a year now to teach her how to drive a stick... Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... Real reason why I do think it's a good thing is whenever we drive somewhere and I'm driving my car, and let's say something was to happen to me (If anything it's going to be I'm drunk... j/k). We'll be screwed because she doesn't know how to drive a stick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
Yeah. Save up a little extra cash boys and girls if you plan on driving your Camaros all year round because you will need to go and get winter/all seasons to replace those summer perf tires... esp with RWD... forget trying to drive in the winter with those tires...