Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
ANDRE
2010 Z28 vert drooler

Drives: 2010 Z28 vert
Question What is your first memory of you wanting a Camaro?

I've had this question posed to me a few times and the first memory I have of wanting a Camaro was back in 1985 (I was 14) when Michael Jordan first started endorsing Chevy after he was drafted by the Bulls, one of his first commericals had him sitting on a red w/black interior IROC-Z. I was in awe and still can envision that commercial in my head, what a BEAUTIFUL car!!!! What's your first memory??
02 CAMARO SS #7719
ANDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
When I was about 9 years old (1972) a guy down the street bought a 1969 Z-28. It was light green w/ black stripes. I can remember when he pulled up in it I was riding down the street on my bike and thought to myself one day I will have one. When he got in front of his house to let everyone know he was there he did about a 20 second burn out...that sealed the deal.

In the immortal words of Ricky Bobby..."I wanta go fast".

JWz28.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
When I was 9 (in 1976) I had a teacher with a red corvette. I thought that was way sweet. It was the VERY first car I ever took notice of.

During that year I was watching an episode of "The Rockford Files" with my dad and saw the brown Firebird that "Jim" was driving around. OK - that, too, was kinda cool - but I wasn't crazy about the front and back-end looks… Then I saw a Camaro on the street and knew that's what it was supposed to look like! I knew I wanted one.

11 years later, I get my first car - a '79 Maro (brown like Jim Rockford's ), and my Camaro love story begins…

Quote:
Motorcycle Cop: Whatcha got in the trunk?
J. Frank Parnell: Oh... You don't wanna look in there.

Repo Man
alleykt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Since the 1969 SS has been in the family ever since it had 3,000 miles on it, Camaros are all that I have known. When I first got my license, my dad was skeptical on me getting one, just because of the whole "rear-wheel drive" thing. I was dead set on a Z28 but it got sold out from under me and I was so desperate to get a car before I got my license and it just had to be a Camaro, so I was forced to settle for a V6, but I always knew they would bring them back and I would have a V8 afterall! But I will never forget my mom taking me to Elementary School in the 69 SS... I would get out of the car to walk in school and I would hold my head up high while everybody was looking at me and my mom (Now that I think of it, I seemed kind of arrogant, haha ) I even had an argument with a boy in my 2nd grade class because he thought they made Camaros in 66...Psh.

Camaros have been in the family ever since as long as I can remember, and I honestly don't remember wanting to own anything else!
Old 07-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I couldn't tell you my first memory. I know I've loved musclecars ever since my Dad had a vette way back when.

I guess my first memory, off the top of my head, would have to be the black 68 Camaro from Better off Dead w/ John Cusak..."I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" lol...I loved that movie and after seeing that Camaro, I wanted one bad.

The first time I really got serious about getting a Camaro was when my roommate bought a brand new 97 LT1. It was bad...and it was FAST...and I wanted one!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Well my first one isn't of a Camaro but it can be explained in two words: Knight Rider. My father(who I have never had contact with) races sprint cars on the USAC circut on the local races and is really into Corvettes. I must have been born with a steering wheel in my hand. When I was a little kid I didn't go to sleep with a teddy bear. I had my 1:64 Ertl General Lee in one hand and Boss Hogg's Caddilac in the other. In 1985 when I was 4 I actually insisted that my mom call the TV station and put the Dukes back on the air! I have loved cars ever since I understood what a car was. As far as Camaros go I really didn't know much about them other than in passing until in middle school my friend's sister got an '89 RS Camaro with a 305. His uncle had an '87 IROC. They were both outside my friend's house and when they left they both did huge burnouts. I was pretty much sold from then on. A few of my friends had third gens in high school (including one with a 12 second IROC with a TPI 383 in it, spoiled brat!) and I rode and drove in them. So when I finally got the money to get a decent car it was only fitting that it be a Camaro. If I ever get the extra money I want to build an LSX powered '89 IROC. Those cars were perfect in my opinion. No airbags and it still has the ducktail spoiler.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'd have to say....It's a long story

Ever since I was old enough to hear...My dad has a '79 silver Z-28 Camaro. As kids, we called it the "Vroom, Vroom Car". Cause it was, and is LOUD. at idle you can't hear yourself talking if your next to it. It always held a special place in my heart - I never learned what it was really named untill about 13, my parents always used to refer to it as the 'Z' - that's it - it was always just the 'Z'. Then when I was, oh...13/14 maybe?, and saw a red convertible Vette driving down the highway next to us. Funny thing was - I had no idea what kind of car it was. So I started my car research. Coincidentally, this is the same time I started loving cars in general. Once I got to reading into the history of both the Vette and the Camaro/Firebird (because I knew I was going to have one of them), the Camaro just felt like the right choice to me. "The driver don't pick the car, son, The Car picks the driver."
Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
well when I was just a lil guy bout 2, 3 my old man had a black 69 ss, I think thats when I got hooked, when I was 7 he wrapped her a round a pole. then my uncle had a blown Iroc but 2 weeks before had the money to buy her he wrecked her too...so far I havent wrecked my Fbody...so far (knock on wood)
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
gurulu68

Drives: 68 camaro rs
It's funny, I've always liked camaros, but I never thought of buying one till I was 21 when my friend and neighbor pull in in a 69. I had never seen a 60's camaro. I was instantly in love. He told me he wanted to get new tires and he asked me to go with him. While at the shop I ran into a friend from highschool. He saw the car and told me he was selling his 68 rs for 700 bucks. I told him "SOLD!". We went to go pick it up that night and I race my friend home. I blew him away in no time. My engine was worked. I had a grin on my face from ear to ear for a week. I racked up 20 pionts on my licence in no time. So I learned how to drive like a granny but I was still getting pulled over by cops just wanting to check my car out. Now she sits in the yard just waiting to get resurrected.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurulu68 View Post
...Now she sits in the yard just waiting to get resurrected.
That's sad...
Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
I've loved fast Chevy's for as long as I can remember. I have Hot Rod and Car Craft Magazines from when I was 6 yrs old (1977). I have a very clear recollection of going to the dealer when my Dad ordered his 1979 Z28. I also remember going with him to pick it up. As luck would have it, I was able to pick one up identical to his last September (well the rims are wrong but other than that, the cars are the same).
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Rochester...did't even notice - you're the closest member on this site. I'm in Buffalo - AND my dad bought a 1979 Z28 as well! albeit he was around 18 at the time...
Old 07-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Wow...I forgot about Knight Rider and the General Lee. Those didn't come to mind, but heck yeah!!! Those were my favorites when I was a kid. My mom bought me a Dukes of Hazard guitar and I used to play it to the theme song. I was a kid....c'mon. I loved the Genereal...more so than KITT, but they were awesome!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #14
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Dragoneye, my 79 came from Buffalo. Any chance his was blue? Or is it the silver 79 you drive now?
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote