Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Arrow Had a Mustang as a rental for three days; My Review

Brought my Camaro in to get my rear bumper taken care of from a previous rear end accident I posted about a while back and ended up in a Mustang for 3 days (I'm now in a hybrid Kia Optima because the Mustang only had 8% oil life left... I'm taking a road trip tomorrow, didn't want to damage the engine, even if it is a rental Ford haha).

My Camaro: 1LS, 6 Speed, V6

Rented Mustang: Base, Auto, V6

Exterior wise the car looked, well... like a Mustang. I honestly feel it's a pretty good looking car. The xenon headlights come standard, and the tail lights look really nice. I still prefer the Camaro exterior as it looks more mean and has a more pronounced/aggressive stance in my opinion, the regular headlights don't bother me one bit in my ride, just interesting to note the Mustang has the upgraded ones standard.

Mustang 7, Camaro 9

Upon sitting in the Mustang, I felt it had cheaper quality everything. From the dashboard to the seats and even the steering wheel, it all had a chintzy feel. Seating position was not all that great either. Radio seemed weaker than the stock Camaro radio. Infotainment system overall was not as good as the Camaro's. I felt more cramped inside as well. Not as roomy and not as jet fighter pilot-esque.

Mustang 5, Camaro 8

The handling was quite a bit better in the Stang, it was much more lighter on its feet and "felt" faster. Where the Camaro likes to roll a bit the Mustang stood strong with more bite. The ride was slightly harsher but not completely noticeable unless actually going over speed bumps (which upset the Mustang A LOT more than my Camaro--could be the rear suspension differences).

Mustang 7, Camaro 6

The power delivery was pretty nice, it "felt" faster in this aspect as well. The Mustang's stock exhaust sounds quite a bit more pleasing then the Camaro's. Overall the Mustang has numbers on its side with a better power to weight ratio. I feel like it might be a draw if transmissions were the same.

Mustang 7, Camaro 7

Finally, the overall gut feeling. I think at the end of the day both vehicles are nice, but the better handling of the Mustang does not make up for the cheap feel, nor the absolute sexiness of the Camaro.

Final Score: Mustang 26, Camaro 30

If I had the choice to go back, there's no doubt I'd take the Camaro.

And if I factor in a little bit of Bias... Um... what's a Mustang?

Hope you guys enjoyed the read through. I forgot to get pics but it looked just like this...

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Good review! I've driven the Mustang as well, and your assessment is in line with mine.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
I drove a couple mustangs a couple weeks ago - is it me or does it appear you are looking down the deck of a airplane carrier when looking down the hood of one. I know the length is negligible but it seemed like the hood went on forever.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Optimus

Drives: Former 2010 and 2013 Camaro owner
I rented a Mustang GT during a recent trip and really enjoyed it but I still liked my Camaro better. To me, the Mustang felt heavier and not as fast. In any event though, I had some fun and if there were no camaros, I could own it. I think the Camaro has made the Mustang a lot better than previous versions. Now that there are Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers, all of us benefit.
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
I test drove new Mustang V6 at same time I tested drove my new 1LS back in December. Camaro was better cornering and in high speed lane changes; felt planted and solid. Better cockpit positioning in Camaro as well and seemed less cramped width-wise. Different strokes for different folks I always say. Liked the Mustang, love the Camaro.....

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
Thanks guys, finally got my ride back from the shop

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
It's nice to see a guy that has a base Camaro finally compare a base Mustang. It's more believable. Often you see these types of reviews except a guy with a 2SS or ZL1 decides to compare their rides to a rental car base Mustang. That's like, no sh%$ of course your car is nicer. This is more believable ,but I'm sure somewhat still bias. After all who would really say their car is not as nice as a rental especially a Camaro guy comparing a Mustang.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
rez333

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
but I'm sure somewhat still bias. After all who would really say their car is not as nice as a rental especially a Camaro guy comparing a Mustang.
LOL

I had to laugh when he said this : "The power delivery was pretty nice, it "felt" faster in this aspect as well. The Mustang's stock exhaust sounds quite a bit more pleasing then the Camaro's. Overall the Mustang has numbers on its side with a better power to weight ratio. I feel like it might be a draw if transmissions were the same.

Mustang 7, Camaro 7"

So.. everything better in the Mustang (power, sound, performance numbers, power to weight ratio) but it still gets the same score?

"I have a device in my pocket that can access the entirety of knowledge known to man.
I use it to look at pictures of cars and have arguments with strangers."
rez333 is offline   Reply With Quote