Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #29
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I'd like to go 3.91, but I don't know how well that would match up with your auto, so, sorry, I'm not much help here.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
I'd like to go 3.91, but I don't know how well that would match up with your auto, so, sorry, I'm not much help here.

John B.
After I get ss rear diff, axle, and rear portion of the driveshaft it should be the same as you having on your car aside from the clutch and all of the parts it encompasses correct? Or am I thinking incorrectly? I'm just curious as to what you mean by "matching up"?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #31
JohnnyBfromPeoria

It depends on the individual gear ratios of the six speeds spitting out rotations from the transmission, of which I am not familiar. It all works together to make the overall total ratio.

And you also need the SS wheel hubs as I understand it.

John B.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
13lstuner

Quote:
It depends on the individual gear ratios of the six speeds spitting out rotations from the transmission, of which I am not familiar. It all works together to make the overall total ratio.

And you also need the SS wheel hubs as I understand it.

John B.
Yes I will. It makes me very upset that the 2LS will not accept the 3.55 gears. As according to people on this forum. Because of the carrier. If this wasn't the case I would just get these gears.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #33
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I decided to do a little research on the carrier issue. They are indeed listed as 2 different carriers

The 3.27 (LT) carrier GM p/n 92230616 list price $221.30
The 2.92 (2LS) carrier GM p/n 22759584 list price $590.00

If you wanted to just add the 3.55 gears to your car, just buy the LT carrier, it fit will your car. GM parts direct lists the LT carrier for $129. I could probably get it from my dealer parts dept for $160 something. Then you can buy my brand new set of 3.55's on the classifieds. Cheaper than an SS rear end swap.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-29-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I decided to do a little research on the carrier issue. They are indeed listed as 2 different carriers

If you wanted to just ad the 3.55 gears to your car, just but the LT carrier, it fit your car. GM parts direct lists the LT carrier for $129. I could probably get it from my dealer parts dept for $160 something. Then you can buy my brand new set of 3.55's on the classifieds. Cheaper than an SS rear end swap.
My life is complete
Any special tools needed for gear swap? I wouldn't imagine so? Relatively easy self instal of the carrier and new gears?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #35
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
My life is complete
Any special tools needed for gear swap? I wouldn't imagine so? Relatively easy self instal of the carrier and new gears?

If you don't have, or no one you know has any experience with properly setting up gears, this IS NOT a DIY task... At the bare minimum you would need a press, feeler gauge(s) may or may not be useful, a (or multiple) dial indicators, and a torque wrench. A gear swap is not for the faint of heart.

Honestly your best bet would be to remove the whole center section of your rear end, which can easily be done with normal hand tools, take it, the gears, and the carrier to a local shop that can properly set them up so they last. Taking them in the center section will minimize your labor cost to get it done, rather than taking them the whole car and letting them pull it out.

Call around and get some quotes on what it costs to put some new gears in a rear end. It may be hard to find places that do it as it's a rare practice anymore and the art seems to be dwindling, I can only find one place in my town that will still do it.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #36
13lstuner

Quote:

If you don't have, or no one you know has any experience with properly setting up gears, this IS NOT a DIY task... At the bare minimum you would need a press, feeler gauge(s) may or may not be useful, a (or multiple) dial indicators, and a torque wrench. A gear swap is not for the faint of heart.

Honestly your best bet would be to remove the whole center section of your rear end, which can easily be done with normal hand tools, take it, the gears, and the carrier to a local shop that can properly set them up so they last. Taking them in the center section will minimize your labor cost to get it done, rather than taking them the whole car and letting them pull it out.

Call around and get some quotes on what it costs to put some new gears in a rear end. It may be hard to find places that do it as it's a rare practice anymore and the art seems to be dwindling, I can only find one place in my town that will still do it.

Message received, I am not doing the instal hahahahaha.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:49 PM   #37
Jason@JacFab

On the plus side, an SS rear end swap should be able to be done with normal tools...
Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #38
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Backlash and preload need to be set and the gear mesh checked with a dye marker like Prussian blue. Simple, right?

John B.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
13lstuner

Quote:
Backlash and preload need to be set and the gear mesh checked with a dye marker like Prussian blue. Simple, right?

John B.
Sound like it! Haha
Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #40
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
fyi, i did the gears with the ss 3.45's....super mod......did not have to change anything about my driveshaft....2012 2l2..and my Mace cams are on the way....Just got an email from the nice folks at mace.....I am assured this should be around 40+ hp at the wheels depending on tuning and mods.....that plus a hundred shot sounds pretty damn fine. here is a short video of it now...full bolt ons.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #41
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
fyi, i did the gears with the ss 3.45's....super mod......did not have to change anything about my driveshaft....2012 2l2..and my Mace cams are on the way....Just got an email from the nice folks at mace.....I am assured this should be around 40+ hp at the wheels depending on tuning and mods.....that plus a hundred shot sounds pretty damn fine. here is a short video of it now...full bolt ons.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Whenever you get those cams installed you have to put a video up of the exhaust!
Also, have you gotten a quote as to how much they are gonna be to put in?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #42
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:

If you wanted to just add the 3.55 gears to your car, just buy the LT carrier, it fit will your car. GM parts direct lists the LT carrier for $129. I could probably get it from my dealer parts dept for $160 something. Then you can buy my brand new set of 3.55's on the classifieds. Cheaper than an SS rear end swap.
I have added this information to the 2LS sticky.

Thanks!
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam, kit, lfx, tune, warranty