Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #57
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Honestly, I have never seen a boosted vehicle rev higher than it's N/A counterpart...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #58
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post

More info; I see everyone boasting about the LARGE VALVES in the LF3 heads! According to the info I have here, both the LFX and the LF3 share the same size valves. Both LFX and LF3 are listed as having a valve head diameter of 30.470-30.730 EXH, and 38.170-38.430 INT... The only difference I can see is that the exhaust valves are sodium filled.
I believe this point is emphasized because it has the same "LARGE" valves as the LFX, which were bigger than the outgoing LLT. My .02
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #59
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I believe this point is emphasized because it has the same "LARGE" valves as the LFX, which were bigger than the outgoing LLT. My .02
I had never seen a size mentioned when the LFX replaced the LLT, just "larger"...

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleE...nProducts.aspx

They way I perceive it is that the LF3 has even larger valves than the LFX... But idk. Having not known the LFX valve sizes before, and reading about the LARGE LF3 valves, I thought it was something special...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #60
DSX_Camaro

I just had it up, I'll see if I can find it again. The LLT valves are supposedly like 36.96mm while the LFX is stated to be 38.3mm, IIRC

And I admit, I was excited too. I too thought the LF3 would have larger intake and / or exhaust valves, which would be a huge bolt on mod for LFX guys.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #61
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
I just had it up, I'll see if I can find it again. The LLT valves are supposedly like 36.96mm while the LFX is stated to be 38.3mm, IIRC

And I admit, I was excited too. I too thought the LF3 would have larger intake and / or exhaust valves, which would be a huge bolt on mod for LFX guys.
I did manage to find it... 1 our of 5 websites that talked about "The NEW LFX Engine" did have it.

Numbers wise, I don't see very much that's different between the LF3 and the LFX in this tech document, even though I know there are several changes.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #62
DSX_Camaro

Hopefully you're on to something with the cams, if nothing else. Hopefully that would be a worthwhile mod... Hopefully.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #63
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
Thanks for the info on the rods! I'm happy that the crank journal is the same size. I would love to run the new rods and pistons once I find out a 100% fitment.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #64
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
Thanks for the info on the rods! I'm happy that the crank journal is the same size. I would love to run the new rods and pistons once I find out a 100% fitment.
No problem. It looks like they rods would be a direct swap if they were the same length. Same width, pin size, and journal size as the LFX rods. I bet the pistons will also work. I don't see anything different about the head valve angles. Unfortunately I don't have a part number or prices on pistons or rods yet.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #65
DSX_Camaro

I don't know if it's been stated yet, but it looks like the heads are different in respect to the throttle body location, so you'd probably need an LF3 head conversion to use the intake manifold... and the throttle bodies need to be checked to see if they are the same or different.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #66
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
I don't know if it's been stated yet, but it looks like the heads are different in respect to the throttle body location, so you'd probably need an LF3 head conversion to use the intake manifold... and the throttle bodies need to be checked to see if they are the same or different.
From watching the animated assembly videos, and looking at diagrams, I see nothing different about the heads that wouldn't let the LF3 intake manifold bolt onto the LFX heads. Where the throttle body attaches to on the intake manifold is irrelevant I believe.

Again, theory. No one will know until someone tries it.

I would imagine the throttle bodies themselves are at the very least, a different casting. I'm hoping they use similar electronics that can work with the LFX's current TB controls.

I'll start slowly buying some of the key LF3 pieces once my LFX test motor shows up and confirm fitment as pieces show up.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 03-11-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #67
DSX_Camaro

I see what you're saying now. Hopefully you're right... LF3 manifold conversion (of course, with a custom intake at that point, lest you run the turbos) would be a decent upgrade.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #68
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
I figure the pistons would work. The next battle is the LF3 heads and if they are needed with the pistons or not. Then of course there is shaking the ol' money tree.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #69
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Turbine View Post
+1

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #70
Jason@JacFab

More part numbers and prices!

Connecting Rod 12641607 list $42.31 ea
Crankshaft 12642339 list $699.82 ea
Piston (L side) 12641602 list $105.12 ea
Piston (R side) 12641603 list $105.12 ea
Cam (L, EXH) 12641987 list $132.01 ea
Cam (R, EXH) 12641988 list $123.15 ea
Cam (L, INT) 12638172 list $103.51 ea
Cam (R, INT) 12638173 list $101.09 ea
Exh Valve 12637879 list $18.33 ea (Sodium Filled)