Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

View Poll Results: How many of you are having top issues with your 5th generation camaro convertibles?
I've had no top issues with my convertible. 14 13.21%
I've had slight top issues (light wear marks, wrinkles, etc.). 49 46.23%
I've had moderate top issues (permanent wear marks, wind noise, loose fabric, etc.). 17 16.04%
I've had significant top issues (fraying, holes, leaks, broken bows, etc.) 5 4.72%
I've had my convertible top replaced at least once due to significant issues. 19 17.92%
I've had my convertible bought back under lemon law or warranty. 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
I'm a five with more work to be done on Monday. Pending case with BBB and GM.

I have done everything asked of me by GM for the top on this car. All TSB's and CSP's and replacements of the top fabric and then water bag and then carpet. It has been a long drawn out and painful process. :(

If you are reading this thread and you have a top that has issues but your car doesn't leak please just LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
Start a case with Chevy Cust Service and request that you get a new top in the spring when GM will more than likely have a completed "top" replacement process in place.

I regret having all the band-aid "fixes" performed. I really believed I was being an informed cooperative owner, turns out my good faith was not returned. I hold GM and my dealership equally responsible.

Having said all that I still have faith in the bowtie as they have listened to my concerns and continue to try and settle all the issues with this car, some they did not cause directly. Issues none the less that are a direct out growth of a non conforming and poor performing top product.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post

I have done everything asked of me by GM for the top on this car. All TSB's and CSP's and replacements of the top fabric and then water bag and then carpet. It has been a long drawn out and painful process. :(

If you are reading this thread and you have a top that has issues but your car doesn't leak please just LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
Start a case with Chevy Cust Service and request that you get a new top in the spring when GM will more than likely have a completed "top" replacement process in place.

I regret having all the band-aid "fixes" performed. I really believed I was being a informed cooperative owner, turns out my good faith was not returned. I hold GM and my dealership equally responsible.

Having said all that I still have faith in the bow-tie as they have listened to my concerns and continue to try and settle all the issues with this car, some they did not cause directly. Issues none the less that are a direct out growth of a non conforming and poor performing top product.
Good advice from " The voice of Experience"...
Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #31
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
That is why me car with the rub from the rear deck is not going to get addressed at this time. I don't want the headaches I went through last year and this spring.
I am just going to enjoy it and see what happens. No leaks, wind noise, nothing.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #32
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
That is why me car with the rub from the rear deck is not going to get addressed at this time. I don't want the headaches I went through last year and this spring.
I am just going to enjoy it and see what happens. No leaks, wind noise, nothing.
Yeah these cars are great to drive with the top down. My wife and I have been out most of the day in ours. 75 degrees sunny and low humidity, perfect weather.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #33
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I voted number 2 I had the TSB done and the marks by the windows have not gotten worse. Lately I have noticed a few new rub marks I will just leep an eye on them for now as I am not convinced they are a real issue yet. Build date 1/28/11 original top still on.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #34
evlar

Drives: 2011 (L99) 2SS/RS vert
Wow, based upon this survey, 50% of convertible tops on here are having abnormal, premature issues. Most companies have an acceptable failure rate of less than 5% -- and that's for much less expensive items.

This is no beuno for GM. They better get it right soon.
evlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #35
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
What they should do is pony up and replace every single top with the new mechanism if that owner is having problems with it. Anyone who has had a replacement would be guaranteed a new mechanism. Those that have not should be on a case by case basis. Just my opinion.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Traded mine for a CTS-V... I do actually miss it though.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #37
Chiefs Fan

Drives: 11 Vert, 2SS/RS, M6, Victory Red
Number 3. My vert was built February, 2011, and has 4,000 miles. Brought it back to the dealer for the 'quick fix!' Too early to tell where it will go.
Chiefs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #38
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
What if you have had several of the choices you put forth???????

Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnfalguy View Post
What if you have had several of the choices you put forth???????

I say pick the worst one that fits.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #40
Mick

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 VR Convertible
Solid number 1. Built 04/01/2011.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #41
decepticon-vert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to decepticon-vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
My car was built 2/14/12 and I bought it here in South Boston, VA 4/11/12, its the 45th Carbon Flash Metallic Convertible and it's my first convertible. NO problems with only 4,400 miles on it. Truely love the car and I hope to have some pictures of my RED Sport Bar on the car this week. Anyway I'm just learning that having a Fabric top takes some special care. 303 products work the best. Michael in Virginia
Yup, those tops need loving care.. 303 is a good way to start.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #42
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post

I regret having all the band-aid "fixes" performed. I really believed I was being an informed cooperative owner, turns out my good faith was not returned. I hold GM and my dealership equally responsible.

Having said all that I still have faith in the bowtie as they have listened to my concerns and continue to try and settle all the issues with this car, some they did not cause directly. Issues none the less that are a direct out growth of a non conforming and poor performing top product.
I like your approach but I question your estimate of another revision being released in the spring. I would think the top retrofit kit released to the dealers on 6/27/2012 was what GM hoped to be the last fix. I'm pretty sure you are familiar with this kit. Do you have inside info that they are working on yet another revision to this kit? When installed right they seem to be fine (so far). I think the decision Chevy needs to make is whether or not they are going to make training a priority or just swap people's whole top assembly. I'm wondering if they are short on man power for the training since the field engineers cover all makes and models of cars.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote