Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
general23cmp

Drives: 2010 RS SS
how you get your power, do the parts care?

Do the components in an engine "care" (for lack of a better word) how power is created? In other words, if I can make the same HP/torque curve either by forced induction or by freeing up the airflow (headers, CAI, high flow heads, cam, etc.) or with nitrous, will the components be more prone to failure in one versus another?

The reason I ask, is because I was doing the math on a turbo kit and considered opening up the entire exhaust with 3" pipes to make it flow better and let out more HP. Then I was thinking, well, that would make more power, but so would more boost with very little effort (and cost). If the engine doesn't "care", why go to the trouble of doing the exhaust?

I could understand if you were trying to push the limits totally, but as far as a dependable driver (my application), you kinda have a certain HP/torque number you are just shooting for that you will not exceed without upgrading the bottom end. Why got to all the trouble of certain add-ons, when all you need is to turn up the boost?
general23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
JTinFL

Drives: Fast ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
Do the components in an engine "care" (for lack of a better word) how power is created? In other words, if I can make the same HP/torque curve either by forced induction or by freeing up the airflow (headers, CAI, high flow heads, cam, etc.) or with nitrous, will the components be more prone to failure in one versus another?

The reason I ask, is because I was doing the math on a turbo kit and considered opening up the entire exhaust with 3" pipes to make it flow better and let out more HP. Then I was thinking, well, that would make more power, but so would more boost with very little effort (and cost). If the engine doesn't "care", why go to the trouble of doing the exhaust?

I could understand if you were trying to push the limits totally, but as far as a dependable driver (my application), you kinda have a certain HP/torque number you are just shooting for that you will not exceed without upgrading the bottom end. Why got to all the trouble of certain add-ons, when all you need is to turn up the boost?
Well it all depends on what you are looking for. A lot is in the hands of your tuner and it can be a safe tune on any boost level within reason. Trust your tuner and the person installing whatever you go with and you will get some good results if you go with the right setup.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or call us at the shop.
JTinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It seems that you're asking more-so about engine efficiency rather than total output. Yes they go hand in hand (a more efficient will make more power- or at least power in the form you can "use"), but that isn't always taking cost effectiveness into consideration.

For example, if you don't want to get a better set of heads for $1500 you could always up your boost- but this puts stress on other parts of the engine.

In the end- I would say a good balance of cost effectiveness and efficiency make for some real mean/reliable engines.

EDIT: Forgot to add, in boosted applications some things (like exhaust) can be bottlenecks for further power gain- so yes, the exhaust is a good preliminary modification.

Last edited by Kyle2k; 10-01-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
JTinFL

Drives: Fast ones
Exactly, in a turbo application, you need the exhaust as free flowing as you can stand (loudness). This will provide "free" horsepower per boost level. If it was my car, I would have a true dual straight through muffler with 3 inch piping.
JTinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
general23cmp

Drives: 2010 RS SS
How about when considering a piston rod? If a rod is going to fail at XXX HP/tq, for example, does it matter how I get to XXX HP/tq?

OR, are you saying it would take more HP/tq to fail such a component if my engine were more efficient?

I can see both sides:

1. Torque is torque. However you make it, components will fail at their torque limit. The force on the crank is the same.

2. Efficiency should make some components last longer.

I think the answer is a mix of the two...some things will last longer due to efficiency, but some components are going to fail due to simple torque limitations regardless of the mechanism to get there. I think this might be what you guys were saying...
general23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #6
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
In a boosted app, boost makes heat. You can run a stock exhaust and get say 550 to 600 at 8psi. You can make the same power on less boost with an open exhaust. Which is better?

I'll vote for the enhanced exhaust version. The intake air temps will be cooler under less boost and allow for more timing which makes as much power as more boost. Make the engine more effecient (make it a better air pump) and you can make power easier and more reliably. Yes, you can make some pretty good numbers on a stock motor with 10+psi and meth injection to add octane and cool things down a bit. Is it a good idea?......not in my book.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by general23cmp View Post
How about when considering a piston rod? If a rod is going to fail at XXX HP/tq, for example, does it matter how I get to XXX HP/tq?

OR, are you saying it would take more HP/tq to fail such a component if my engine were more efficient?

I can see both sides:

1. Torque is torque. However you make it, components will fail at their torque limit. The force on the crank is the same.

2. Efficiency should make some components last longer.

I think the answer is a mix of the two...some things will last longer due to efficiency, but some components are going to fail due to simple torque limitations regardless of the mechanism to get there. I think this might be what you guys were saying...
Pretty much. A part will fail under a given set of conditions, so theoretically it doesn't matter how you make the power. But when you make 600 hp with a turbo charger vs a supercharger vs naturally aspirated vs nitrous, all four generate different conditions inside the engine.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote