Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
wray1991

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Who has had the bubbling leather on the 2012 dash replaced?

My wife drove me to discount tire to pick up my 4runner. this was my first time in the passenger seat. The damn leather is bubbling to hell on the flat portion above the glove box. I have seen the area above the stereo do this, did it on my last ss. But this area is bad, can even push on bubble and move the air to other areas. Has anyone replaced this under warranty? Did the replacement do the same thing?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Lots of people have had it replaced but I've never heard of anything like what you have. Just take it to your dealer and they'll fix it for you.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I've never had any problems with my 2012 dash i have, but I am sure the warranty will cover it. Just call your dealer, and they will probably fix it
Old 04-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Mezzmo

Drives: 2012 45th RS
I just noticed mine bubbling above the stereo. Taking it to the dealer today. I heard several other people had the same issue, but thought maybe I was one of the lucky ones. Gues not.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wray1991 View Post
My wife drove me to discount tire to pick up my 4runner. this was my first time in the passenger seat. The damn leather is bubbling to hell on the flat portion above the glove box. I have seen the area above the stereo do this, did it on my last ss. But this area is bad, can even push on bubble and move the air to other areas. Has anyone replaced this under warranty? Did the replacement do the same thing?
wray1991,

If a diagnosis by certified GM technicians at a GM dealer proves it to be defective, the repair would be covered under your vehicle's bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'd like to schedule an appointment for you if you haven't done so. Just private message me your zip code, and VIN number .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzmo View Post
I just noticed mine bubbling above the stereo. Taking it to the dealer today. I heard several other people had the same issue, but thought maybe I was one of the lucky ones. Gues not.
for planning to take it in, Mezzmo. I'd like to create a case file and track the repair process at the dealership you're taking it to. Could your private message me the dealer's name/location and your VIN number?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Bryaniskoo

Drives: 2010 RS
Local dealership refuse to replace it for me. They say its not covered. Good luck if you try to get it replaced.
Bryaniskoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
fsusmithc2
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 50th Anniversary
I've been following one of, if not the, original threads on this, now at 21 pages long. As I understand it, there still is no "fix" from GM. Supposedly, there is a TSB instructing dealers not to replace the part (because they know it will just happen again). I just try to ignore the bubble over my radio for now. Thankfully nothing over the glove box as of yet.

It seems like they didn't have these pieces on a test mule long enough to see the problem so it got green-lit for production. I believe the glue binding the "leather" to the pad below it, coupled with the shape of the piece such as above the radio, is to blame.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...215707&page=21

Update: So after I posted I noticed Customer Service's responses and then the other person who was refused. So what's the real deal? Is there or is there not a TSB on this problem and, if so, does it instruct dealers not to replace the part?
Current: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary (#350)- 12.22 @ 115mph
- MX0 8-speed automatic, CF5 power sunroof

Former: 2012 1LT/RS A6 - 14.11 @ 99.75mph

Order: TMFF65
1100 - 5/19/16 | 2000 - 5/26/16 | 3000 - 6/1/16
3100 - 6/6/16 (TPW 6/20) | 3300 - 6/9/16
3400 - 6/10/16 | 4200 - 6/23/16 | 4300 - 6/28/16
5000 - 6/30/16 | 6000 - 7/1/16

Club F1FTY
fsusmithc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsusmithc2 View Post
I've been following one of, if not the, original threads on this, now at 21 pages long. As I understand it, there still is no "fix" from GM. Supposedly, there is a TSB instructing dealers not to replace the part (because they know it will just happen again). I just try to ignore the bubble over my radio for now. Thankfully nothing over the glove box as of yet.

It seems like they didn't have these pieces on a test mule long enough to see the problem so it got green-lit for production. I believe the glue binding the "leather" to the pad below it, coupled with the shape of the piece such as above the radio, is to blame.

Update: So after I posted I noticed Customer Service's responses and then the other person who was refused. So what's the real deal? Is there or is there not a TSB on this problem and, if so, does it instruct dealers not to replace the part?
fsusmithc2,

I definitely understand your concern and would like to apologize for the bubbling over your radio but these matters are examined on a case-by-case basis. If you send me your VIN number, I'd be more than happy to research the issue further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
So I guess I am not the only one that has the bubbles in the dash below the vents. I figured the leather was stretched too much when it was glued on and now it has shrunk and lifted from the dash. I have the grey interior and it is not that noticeable. I skimmed through that other thread and it looks like dealers are not replacing these under warranty anyway. I guess I will wait a while since a have a couple years of bumper to bumper left and see if they find a fix then take it in.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
wray1991

I have had problems with my dealer since day one. They eventually replaced my 2012 SS with an identical 2012 SS, but that took a chevy complaint to do. After that I swore them off. I gave the other day to go in and get nitrogen put in my tires, all 4 were low. I walk in the service center at 130 in the afternoon. No one in the waiting room, no cars in the service line. 3 employees behind the service counter, including the guy that checks the car in. I ask him if I can get the tires filled up with nitrogen. Also, I have a nitro fill account that is honored at the dealership where I spent $35k. The guy asks me "how do you know the tires are low? Did you check them?". I tell him, the car checked them for me through the computer. He then asks if I want to pick it up later or if I can wait for a while.........Really, customer service????? Then he says he only has three technicians right now. Does it really take a technician to put 4 pounds in a tire. Take the car to the back, fill up the tires, happy customer!!!!!!!!! Is it really that hard? And yes, they better find it under warranty, it has happened to multiple people on here and the car only has 6k on the clock.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
wray1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsusmithc2 View Post

My last SS was bubbling above the radio before 1000 on the clock. 1000 miles, so I hope they tested it for longer than that. Also, the back is glued, when I push the bubbles, you can hear the tackiness stick a little then pop off.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #13
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
same thing here fellas, just waiting for the parts to come into the dealership, I am dealing with one of the better service departments in the area. If it pops up again after they replace the part, then I will just find a good upholstery guy and have it fixed there.
I have been driving it a lot since I first noticed the issue and actually it really doesn't bother me.
I really like my car, but I am now starting to think it may be time move on to something different, I am looking at posibly moving soon where I wont need to drive as much as I do now, and after having my wifes Wrangler to play with several times, I am yearning for a Wrangler for myself.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
So I guess I am not the only one that has the bubbles in the dash below the vents. I figured the leather was stretched too much when it was glued on and now it has shrunk and lifted from the dash. I have the grey interior and it is not that noticeable. I skimmed through that other thread and it looks like dealers are not replacing these under warranty anyway. I guess I will wait a while since a have a couple years of bumper to bumper left and see if they find a fix then take it in.

Dean.
skibik,

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns, but if found to be defective at a GM dealership, your bumper-to-bumper warranty (if in effect) would cover the cost to fix the issue. These matters are examined on a case-by-case basis and I would like to help follow your case whenever you're ready to have it checked out!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care