Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #1
shortstop4

Drives: '13 Summit White ZL1 M6
Ceramic Coating vs PPF

I do not know much about the subject of paint protection film vs. ceramic coatings and Google isn't helping me much. I have spoken to several shops and I am debating between full coverage xpel paint protection film for my ZL1 or Ceramic Pro 9H ceramic coating. What say C5?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I went with the ceramic coating and I love it well worth the money, I had the paint correction before the coating and it looks like glass. It came with a 5 year warranty, I do need to take it back every year so they can take a look at it and see if any ares need attention

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
UBB

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
I went with the ceramic coating and I love it well worth the money, I had the paint correction before the coating and it looks like glass. It came with a 5 year warranty, I do need to take it back every year so they can take a look at it and see if any ares need attention

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Local guy who did my window tint sells that. He didn't go into specifics but hinted it costs several thousand.
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #4
failshift
Banned

PPF. All day. Expensive yes. But well worth it.

Xpel.com is greater than all.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
603hp/547tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS
I did Xpel Ultimate on the front, hood, mirrors, gills, front fenders (halfway back), and a strip behind the rear wheels - $1300-ish. It would have cost $4-5K to wrap the entire car and that was not in the budget. So, I then had the entire car coated (including the Xpel) in CQuartz Finest - $695-ish. I use Carpro Reload occasionally after washing - during the drying process - which rejuvenates the CQuartz. I bought the car new last August, and have put about 9200 miles on it. I do not have a garage, except in winter when I store the car.

It looks absolutely new - not a single scratch, swirl, ding, chip - and it's my daily driver. It was a lot of money, but I feel it was worth it every time I look at how perfect the car is. Dirt, contaminants, etc. just rinse off the car - it looks like glass. Today I had pollen on the car and used a hose without a nozzle and the water carried everything right off.

Therefore, it does not have to be an either/or, and I highly recommend both PPF and ceramic coatings.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 AM   #6
Coatthis

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop4 View Post
I do not know much about the subject of paint protection film vs. ceramic coatings and Google isn't helping me much. I have spoken to several shops and I am debating between full coverage xpel paint protection film for my ZL1 or Ceramic Pro 9H ceramic coating. What say C5?
This is a no-brainer. If you're interested in correcting the paint, and then sealing it with the most durable sealant, Ceramics are the obvious choice. It will give you some additional paint protection over the crappy water based paint systems that chip when you look at them crossed eyed.

The bigger problem though is protecting the paint from the onslaught of abuse it's going to take from rock chips, grocery carts, dip-shit service techs leaning on your fenders / hood, etc, etc, etc. The only product that is going to do that is PAINT PROTECTION FILM.

There is no wax, sealant or ceramic in existence that will protect your paint from an 80 MPH rock hitting it or some jealous dip-ship keying your car. ........

The beauty of PPF is that once you put it on the panel you don't care about someone touching your paint anymore..... If by chance it did get damaged, all you do is peel it off and put another piece on. No crying, painting or problems....

As for cost, what is it worth to you to not have any rock chips now or in the future? What is the piece of mind worth knowing that you don't need to repaint your bumper, fender or hood on your new car any time soon? Granted, covering a complete car is pretty expensive and maybe a little over kill in many instances. Although, I drive black vehicles and I wouldn't drive my new 2500HD Denali until I had the hood, fenders, lower doors and bed covered.

An XPEL Ultimate kit including 24" hood, fender, bumper and mirror is about $399.00 on their website if you can do it yourself. If you need it installed you're probably looking at about $800.00.

The film is self-healing and comes with a 10 year warranty. Is there really any further discussion needed?
Coatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #7
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
What he said /\

Think of the ceramic coating, simplistically, as wax on massive steroids.
Think of the PPF as protection for your paint

Two totally different animals.

Once you get a scuff, scratch, nick, mark, marring on the paint with the ceramic coating you've lost the coating in that spot/location. To correct the paint there, the polishing required will remove more of the surrounding coating requiring reapplication of the product. The same scuff, scratch, nick, mark, marring with PPF on should not be able to effect the vehicle's paint at all. The X-Pel PPF on my GTO came with a seven year warranty with no need to return yearly.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBB View Post
Local guy who did my window tint sells that. He didn't go into specifics but hinted it costs several thousand.
It was only $1800 and is well worth the money, some of my friends can't believe how great the paint looks, I thought my paint was good as it's not a daily driver and stays in the garage, but when I saw the paint after the polishing and coating I was blown away
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Coatthis

Drives: SS
Quote:
This will clear things up for you. I dare anyone to try this with a ceramic sealant........

XPEL Ultimate - Scratch / Self Healing Demonstration.
Coatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #10
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coatthis View Post
This will clear things up for you. I dare anyone to try this with a ceramic sealant........

XPEL Ultimate - Scratch / Self Healing Demonstration.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LSX376 SLP TVS2300 '13 1LE
Full front half protected by Xpel PPF
Instagram:@Failshift
603hp/547tq
1LE Owners Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/559684050767758/
Old 07-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #11
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I got a quote from a local Xpel installer for my wife's new Jeep Grand Cherokee of $1,850 for the full front end in Xpel Ultimate. He said they'd need the car for three days. Is that reasonable?

I had my Camaro full front end done by a non-Xpel detail shop (before I knew we had Xpel shops here locally) for $2,500 ( included rocker panels, gills, and three layers on my ZL1 carbon fiber splitter/grill). What I have looks great, but $650 would buy me a Tru-trac.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #12
failshift
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I got a quote from a local Xpel installer for my wife's new Jeep Grand Cherokee of $1,850 for the full front end in Xpel Ultimate. He said they'd need the car for three days. Is that reasonable?

I had my Camaro full front end done by a non-Xpel detail shop (before I knew we had Xpel shops here locally) for $2,500 ( included rocker panels, gills, and three layers on my ZL1 carbon fiber splitter/grill). What I have looks great, but $650 would buy me a Tru-trac.

Sounds like a good price to me. Mine is full frontal. Fenders. Mirrors. All in ultimate. And then my hood in stealth. I believe it was 2200
Installed
Old 07-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #13
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Sounds like a good price to me. Mine is full frontal. Fenders. Mirrors. All in ultimate. And then my hood in stealth. I believe it was 2200
Installed
Just found another Xpel dealer--closer to my house--and his quote for the same car/coverage was around $1,400 and he only needed the car for a day, not 3 days like the first shop. Any alarms going off about either one of these installers? Both appear to have good reputations.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
Quote:
I have Xpel on the nose, rockers , gills, mirrors, and lights on my car. After that the entire car is done with CeramicPro including the Xpeled areas. My hood is wrapped with matte black vinyl and also coated with CeramicPro.