Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 AM   #1
j.curt

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 6 Spd Manual
Black Car Upkeep

I did a full detail/paint correction back in November. I think it is time to do some upkeep besides a normal wash.

I currently have the following products in my garage:

Chemical Guys Mr. Pink Super Suds Shampoo
BlackFire Rinseless Wash
BlackFire Waterless Wash
M105
M205
BlackFire SRC Compound
BlackFire SRC Finishing Compund
BlackFire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protector
BlackFire Midnight Sun Wax
Black Light
Adams Paint Sealant
Adams H2O Guard and Gloss
Adams Buttery Wax

The car has gained some minor swirls but nothing too bad. What would be the best suggestion with what I already have to do a good detail? What color pad should I use with each product?

Thanks

One last thing.....before I even had a clue what I was doing, I got wax on my black carbon fiber vinyl. Any chance I can fix the discoloration it caused?
Old 07-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #2
DonM
This is my 3rd Camaro

Drives: All black '13 LS / Darth Camaro
Try the M205 with a polishing pad first (always start with the least aggressive products first). I can't tell you what color pad to use b/c I don't know what brand you're using, just use whichever one is a light to medium polishing pad, work a small area and check your results. If it's what you're looking for, then continue on the rest of the car, if not move to a light cutting pad with the M205 & test another small area.

DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Here's a pretty good guide to the Lake Country CCS foam pads use.

Adam's Paint Sealant-Gray Foam Pad

Adam's H2O Guard & Gloss-Borderless Gray Microfiber Towels.

Adam's Buttery Wax-Yellow Hex Grip Applicator. Remove with a couple quality Microfiber Towels. Adam's running a pretty decent sale right now an some of his discontinued Single Soft, and Double Soft Microfibers at $4.00 and $7.00 respectively.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I use Ultimate compound with an orange pad on speed 6 with my Griots 6. 4 passes usually does the job, follow with 205 and a white pad for 4 passes. pretty easy really, seal wax x2, done! I use Lake county pads with the little dimples, have several different ones, blue, grey etc. use Rag Co 420 spectum towels to remove product. one thing I have learned over the last few years, washing/drying technique is way more important than most people realize when keeping a car scratch free. now try to not wash any more than it needs, especially more important on darker colors.

I do both a 3 bucket wash , and a one bucket + Pressure washer maintance wash. just depends on how much bonded dirt is on the surface. excessive bonded dirt gets a foaming. try to keep contact to a miniumum.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
j.curt

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 6 Spd Manual
I have the PC buffer and Lake county pads. I have a lot of BlackFire products and would prefer to use them being I paid so much. When I bought all the BlackFire, it seemed to be one of the better products on the market.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
bobby35ny

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I'm a blackfire guy myself!!

Should only need the finishing polish with the pad of your choice, then the protector.
I will tell you this, do NOT use mr.pink on your paint, that stuff is pretty strong, I don't care what the label or reviews say, its on the strong side. I use Mr.Pink to wash my wheels only now.

I use the BlackFire soap for my car, Or the megs gold class soap.

The second you washed your car with Mr.Pink, you removed the midnight sun.

-Bobby
Old 07-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
Ace0751
G3NESYS

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertable
Might have to try these lake country pads, but wonder how well they will work on the rupes orbital polisher. I have Adams new gen waffle pads but haven't used them yet. But for $13 a pad the bill racks up pretty quick, wish for there set they added the black pad instead of the microfiber cutting pad. Everyone has a different style of pads to maximize the amount of detailing it will do.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection all the way.
Then alternate Blackfire Midnight Sun Car Wax one month and Chemical Guy's Black Light the next month.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]