Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #51
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
The low roofline is one of the best parts of the camaro, yeah it may be harder to see out of but it looks awesome and futuristic. It makes the car look like a chop top and I love it

Quite frankly, you get used to the low roofline in NO time and honestly, it makes the car look that MUCH BETTER. The team originally wanted the roof line LOWER than it is now. The aussies got them to raise it up a 1/2 an inch (wasn't it a half an inch??? maybe 2? ...donm't remember).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
Let us know what you end up buying..

OP, you really DO make some good points. But, I have to totally disagree with some of the others. I'd quote your post, but that would leave a HUGE page with TONS to read again.

Roof line is fine. You get used to it in a week. And, it IS a cool factor.

Visors. Seriously? That roof line is so far forward that you really don't even NEED to use the visors! On top of that, what about us 6 foot 2 inch tall dudes who's heads are already up there towards the top of the roof? What happens when we NEED to use the visor? We pull it down. What if it were a full visor? No good. That 1/2 visor is one of the MOST BRILLIANT things I think GM's done with...something as small as a visor...in YEARS. GREAT idea.

The Mustang IS a good looking car. I agree.

I ALSO agree that it's just a Mustang. They are a dime a dozen out there on the roads. When I see one, it doesn't even make me do a double take. They mean nothing to me. They really are everywhere....so much so that I don't care to look at them anymore.

It really is a big change from the BMW to the others. I understand. I drove an 02SS for YEARS. Yes, the driver door is higher...and like everything else, you get USED to it! You'll LOVE it. I promise!
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #52
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1owner View Post
How does acceleration compare in the SS vs th 335?
Stock the 335 can go really low into the 13s. I think a few AWD freaks squeaked into the 12s stock (or so they said they were stock). So the 2010+ SS wins with an as good or better driver in my opinion.

But with a tune, DRs, and a CAI you get into the 11s.

The 335s small turbos kick in early so it feels V8 strong. My 335i stock felt almost exactly like my '98 LS1 Z28. But they were never compared side by side.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #53
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
Sounds like to me by reading your post you prefer the Mustang over the Camaro anyway so why don't you just go get one and be happy with it. If you ask a bunch of Camaro owners on a Camaro site, I'd be willing to bet that most of them will tell you to by the Camaro don't you think.

I like the looks of the Challenger and my wifes likes the looks of the Challenger over the Camaro, but it didn't convince me to get one. I got the Camaro and I'm on a Camaro forum. I'm sorry but it seems as of late I have come across a few people on here that post up this same type of story about how they want or got a Mustang over the Camaro. Or how they got rid of there new Camaro and got a new Mustang. Fine, no big deal. It's your money and your choice, so you have to make it. If you chose a car over the Camaro that's OK with me, but then why do those same people still hang out on a Camaro forum? Just curious.
I know what you mean. I hope I am not one of those people. I actually posted here for two reasons:

1. Other than my 335i and a Nissan Maxima as my daily drivers my last 3 fun cars were all Fbody 4th gens. I want to want the Camaro if that makes sense.

2. Before I started the search the Coyote Mustang was my front runner for a number of reasons. After the first day and after driving the Camaro the SS became my front runner. After driving both and weighing all my options it still is there.

This is why I posted here. Also I have been lurking and bitching about the old incompetent GM management for a while now and I wanted to give something back to the site. I posted nothing on the Mustang sites at all about this.

But if I cannot get a good deal on an SS I will buy the Mustang. In the long term I am sure I would be equally as happy with it.

One other thing I wanted to say in this thread. The new improved Mustang is not a slam dunk winner over the SS. In fact I think it is a dead heat despite what the magazines are saying. I read them all.

GM your move next. You know they will respond, perhaps next year. In this fight all V8 rear drive obsessives win.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #54
ssump29
LOL at most people here.

Drives: 2005 GTO,2006 M6, 2007 300 Touring
To everyone always complaing about the sight blocked views. Heed this warning never get into a Lambo or Ferrari because it will be the worst car in the world to you. LOL at the view thing still to this day. Drive the car for a full day and you would have learned the sights and every aspect of the car.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #55
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN View Post
You're contradicting yourself man. You say you like the Camaro exterior better, but then rate it lower...?
Thought I was the only one that noticed this....your narrative seems to lean towards the camaro yet you rate lower?...

There is no way in a firey hell that the mustang has a better appearance than the camaro. The exterior looks the same, tired scheme that has been there for decades...they added a bit of curvature and now its a different car? Don't get me wrong, I love AMERICAN muscle...the 5.0 is impressive, but the exterior alone kills the car for me.

What exactly are you looking for in a car? You rated interior and exterior, but do you care about performance? I have owned Ford previously and my assigned work vehicle is currently Ford. I can't seem to get a Ford that does not have moderate to major power train issues within the first 2-3 years. There is much more to both of these vehicles than what you have addressed. It seems to me you get more bang for you bunk with the camaro. The amenities are great and relatively cheap. The sync with NAV was too pricey for my taste. If you have no price limit then why not wait for the Z/28 or just jump on the Shelby. You seem to prefer the mustang and don't need our imput to sway you otherwise...they are both great American vehicles.
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.

1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #56
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
That 1/2 visor is one of the MOST BRILLIANT things I think GM's done with...something as small as a visor...in YEARS. GREAT idea.
A gr8r idea would have been a slide out extender...but I guess "short people got no reason to live".

mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #57
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Don't forget that you can easily get GM Preferred Pricing and sign up for a USAA account (through Sept I believe) for another $750 off. The Preferred Pricing is based on a % of the cost of the car. I got $1,800 off on mine (2SS w/polished wheels) so you'll probably get more off with your options. I paid right at $33,500 for mine but didn't get the RS, stripes, shifter, or sunroof.

You might consider going aftermarket on both stripes and shifter. Both will be a little cheaper and you can customize your stripes if you want. I ended up with an MGW shifter after having a Hurst for about 2 weeks. Much better shifter IMO but there are plenty of people who like their Hursts.

Look up some of the Dealer sponsors on this forum.....someone like Eric Hall or Camaro Scotty. You can buy through them, get all your discounts, and have it delivered to your local dealer.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #58
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Thought I was the only one that noticed this....your narrative seems to lean towards the camaro yet you rate lower?...

There is no way in a firey hell that the mustang has a better appearance than the camaro. The exterior looks the same, tired scheme that has been there for decades...they added a bit of curvature and now its a different car? Don't get me wrong, I love AMERICAN muscle...the 5.0 is impressive, but the exterior alone kills the car for me.

What exactly are you looking for in a car? You rated interior and exterior, but do you care about performance? I have owned Ford previously and my assigned work vehicle is currently Ford. I can't seem to get a Ford that does not have power train issues within the first 2-3 years. There is much more to both of these vehicles than what you have addressed. It seems to me you get more bang for you bunk with the camaro. The amenities are great and relatively cheap. The sync with NAV was too pricey for my taste. If you have no price limit then why not wait for the Z/28 or just jump on the Shelby. You seem to prefer the mustang and don't need our imput to sway you otherwise...they are both great American vehicles.
But it is amusing to read an average Joe's comparison and grading of 2 vehicles to apply to only for 1 audience, himself. If you want the professional version, done by pros who do this for a living and have a knowledge-base based on comparing thousands of cars, grade and compare for the general public.... may I suggest Motor Trend, Car Driver, etc. etc. (mags the OP has been dissecting)

The 335i is a nice car to have under warranty. Post-warranty, any prob with the turbo engine....big $$$.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #59
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I'd definately drive both and make a decision if you are looking. I have to agree with a lot about what you say. I think what it will come down to is when you drive it, which engages you more (and coming from a BMW, I'm sure that is somewhat important to you) .. IMO it will be the FORD ...

Crowley
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #60
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
I think you'll find the Mustang is more in line with what you've come to expect from the BMW. I know when I drove the 5.0 it was very much like the BMW 5 series my brother owns.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #61
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
It really is a big change from the BMW to the others. I understand. I drove an 02SS for YEARS. Yes, the driver door is higher...and like everything else, you get USED to it! You'll LOVE it. I promise!
Funny. You are probably right.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #62
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post

What exactly are you looking for in a car? You rated interior and exterior, but do you care about performance? I have owned Ford previously and my assigned work vehicle is currently Ford. I can't seem to get a Ford that does not have moderate to major power train issues within the first 2-3 years. There is much more to both of these vehicles than what you have addressed. It seems to me you get more bang for you bunk with the camaro. The amenities are great and relatively cheap. The sync with NAV was too pricey for my taste. If you have no price limit then why not wait for the Z/28 or just jump on the Shelby. You seem to prefer the mustang and don't need our imput to sway you otherwise...they are both great American vehicles.
Sorry if my narrative was a bit confusing. I see what you mean. I do care about performance. That is why these two cars are the only ones I am looking at. But since I still have to use it as a car so I tried to rate all those things too.

One thing I forgot to mention is I found the Camaro more comfortable for me. That is important if you spend alot of time in the car.

I do not want to spend BMW money so yes the Camaro is a little better value. I did mention that in my second review post.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #63
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
By most accounts Sync is in a league of its own over the SS electronics. Also the Ford navigation is the best OEM in the American market.

I found the Camaro's gauges more interesting, but the Mustangs easier to read in a hurry.
That's where the HUD comes in to save the day. ;-)

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #64
motorhed

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM,2000 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
The low roofline is one of the best parts of the camaro, yeah it may be harder to see out of but it looks awesome and futuristic. It makes the car look like a chop top and I love it
Ditto, it certainly was part of the concept design executed perfectly in the production model. Its part of the character of the car.

7/23/2010 - 1100
8/18/2010 - Born on Date 2G1FT1EW1B9120590
9/3/2010 - Pick Up
-----------------------------
| Photos |
motorhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #65
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Don't forget that you can easily get GM Preferred Pricing and sign up for a USAA account (through Sept I believe) for another $750 off. The Preferred Pricing is based on a % of the cost of the car. I got $1,800 off on mine (2SS w/polished wheels) so you'll probably get more off with your options. I paid right at $33,500 for mine but didn't get the RS, stripes, shifter, or sunroof.

You might consider going aftermarket on both stripes and shifter. Both will be a little cheaper and you can customize your stripes if you want. I ended up with an MGW shifter after having a Hurst for about 2 weeks. Much better shifter IMO but there are plenty of people who like their Hursts.

Look up some of the Dealer sponsors on this forum.....someone like Eric Hall or Camaro Scotty. You can buy through them, get all your discounts, and have it delivered to your local dealer.
Thanks. I would suppose I would have to take delivery before the end of September to get the USAA discount. I will look into that one.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #66
Fraxum

OK, Camaro wins. I probably will have to order to get it the way I want.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #67
ketel0ne

Drives: Used to have 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
This may be the best post in the whole thread!!!!!
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #68
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
cool....I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I LOVE my Camaro but I'm not a Mustang hater. I don't care much for the latest style though. I think the '05-'08 looks alot better. I was going to buy a used GT500 if the Camaro didn't come along but I'm MUCH happier with the Camaro.....although I will say a '11 GT500 in Silver and Black is a nice looking machine (except for the rear). Even used the GT500 was going to be about $5k more than what I paid for a new Camaro.

I think the Camaro also be a better choice over an '11 Mustang in the fact that I would be willing to bet that the Mustang will be getting a whole new look in the next year or so. The current body style has been around long enough and they will need to do something in the styling area to compete with the Camaro.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #69
Fraxum

To end the confusion over my evaluation:

I judged the Mustang as better looking, slightly faster, slightly better handing, and it has a slightly better interior.

The Camaro was more interesting to look at, rarer, more comfortable, torquier, cheaper, has IRS, has a sunroof, easier to work on under the hood, and I enjoyed driving it a bit more.

Also I can mod the Camaro quite easily to run with or better than the Mustang. I think Modding is fun.

I was also wishing for a Nav and now that I have seen the Metra kit Nav looks easy and very factory like for the money.

I have decided the weight difference and low roof are not so important after all.

Two great cars, one winner for me.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-17-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #70
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
I think you'll find the Mustang is more in line with what you've come to expect from the BMW. I know when I drove the 5.0 it was very much like the BMW 5 series my brother owns.
For me anyway I wanted something a little more rowdy than the BMW. Great, almost perfect car, but a little boring over time I found. But I want something a little less rowdy than my fbody 4th gen.

The SS is very sophisticated and has a bad-boy edge.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #71
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
The 335i is a nice car to have under warranty. Post-warranty, any prob with the turbo engine....big $$$.
+1
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #72
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I guess if you rate the camaros external appearance as a 7.5 or whatever you did, it does not sound like your a camaro fan.

Personally, I would say the camaro is a 10 in appearance and coolness, thats why there is one in my garage and thats why I treat it like a member of the family!!!

Sounds like there is likely another car out there that you would be happier with. Lot of room from 7.5 to a 10!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #73
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I guess if you rate the camaros external appearance as a 7.5 or whatever you did, it does not sound like your a camaro fan.

Personally, I would say the camaro is a 10 in appearance and coolness, thats why there is one in my garage and thats why I treat it like a member of the family!!!

Sounds like there is likely another car out there that you would be happier with. Lot of room from 7.5 to a 10!!!
Maybe it will grow on me. I like the car.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #74
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Maybe it will grow on me. I like the car.
I'm sure you will! Its a great car!

Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing your impressions!
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #75
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I would have NEVER guessed this:

My numbers would look like this:

* Mustang exterior appearance: 6.00
* Camaro exterior appearance: 8.75

Add the Challenger into the mix...

* Mustang exterior appearance: 6.00
* Camaro exterior appearance: 8.75
* Challenger exterior appearance: 8.70

I personally think the Mustang is hideous and would buy a Challenger long before even considering the Stang...
I'm with you on this. Mustang's don't have any styling at all these days except for the view from the front, side and rear looks quite shitty to me.

I wold rate overall styling of the Mustang a 4.5. And from all the comments I get from people of every age group I think most people would agree.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote