Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
wangtangjf7

Drives: CGM LT/RS
Need help deciding which military to serve in?

I am strongly considering joining the military but i was not too sure which one to join. My ultimate goal is to become a cop so i wanted to choose a branch that would help me the most with that. From talking with people i know, everyone has been telling me Air Force but i wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
wangtangjf7

Ack admins, can you transfer this thread to the off topic thread. sorry for posting it in the wrong place.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
raqball
The little LS that could

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Army and Marines sleep in dirt, Navy out in the deep blue sea a ton...

Air Force is treated like kings, stay in hotels ect....

I was in the Army but if I had to do it all over again..... Air Force! Unless you like sleeping in dirt or being out in the deep blue sea for months at a time....

My .02
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
I knew a guy who was an MP in the Air Force. He guarded air force bases in the Middle East as well as in the US.

He's now a lawyer. Go figure.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Rob191288

I'm a cop in the Air Force and I'll tell you I love it everyday. The Air Force does get treated rather good. As raqball said Army and Marines sleep in the dirt and the Navy your on a boat for who knows how long at a time. Being an Air Force cop can be a lot of fun at times. And its a good set-up for when you get out, like right now Im at Andrews AFB in Washington D.C. which is the presidents base. Once I get out with my level of clearance and experiance I can get a job for the FBI, CIA, Secret Service, Etc....
Rob191288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
wangtangjf7

i've heard the same thing about the air force. why are they treated so well? is it that much harder to get into the air force?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Rob191288

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangtangjf7 View Post
i've heard the same thing about the air force. why are they treated so well? is it that much harder to get into the air force?
I'd say we are treated well because we have access to most everything the other branches use, satellites, nukes, planes, etc.... And the Air Force is the hardest branch to get into.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
USAF

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
First, you are trying to decide which branch to apply for not which military. I only say that because there is a very big difference.

I have served in the USAF for 14 years as of tomorrow, so I am biased towards the Air Force. When it comes to education you just can't beat the Air Force or the Navy. Either one will have a career field and an education plan to fit your needs. It is personal preference really. Do you want to be on a ship full of seamen or on a base where off duty time is normally your time?

There is no wrong answer to this choice. The important thing is finding out what suits you best and committing. Most recruiters will try and talk you into the job that has the most demand at the time. If you know what you want to do then stick to it and wait for a slot to open for that job.
USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
wangtangjf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF View Post
First, you are trying to decide which branch to apply for not which military. I only say that because there is a very big difference.

I have served in the USAF for 14 years as of tomorrow, so I am biased towards the Air Force. When it comes to education you just can't beat the Air Force or the Navy. Either one will have a career field and an education plan to fit your needs. It is personal preference really. Do you want to be on a ship full of seamen or on a base where off duty time is normally your time?

There is no wrong answer to this choice. The important thing is finding out what suits you best and committing. Most recruiters will try and talk you into the job that has the most demand at the time. If you know what you want to do then stick to it and wait for a slot to open for that job.
Quote:
I am strongly considering joining the military but i was not too sure which one to join. My ultimate goal is to become a cop so i wanted to choose a branch that would help me the most with that. From talking with people i know, everyone has been telling me Air Force but i wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks for the help everyone.
yeah, sorry about that. when i realized i made that mistake on the title, it was too late to go back and edit.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #10
USAF

No worries. I pulled some time as Security Police (now they are Security Forces) and I would have to say it is not a bad job. You can get your criminal justice degree and push forward on a US Marshal education plan or move over to the coveted Office of Special Investigations (OSI) as well.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
fugimo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS ABM
Even being ex Navy, wanting to become a cop, the Air Force is probably the best bet as most ex military cops I know pretty much were Air Force cops. The other difference between the Air Force and Navy also has to do with pay, in the Navy you can get rank faster than in the Air Force, the main reason I went into the Navy. As an EW, I went from an E-1 in bootcamp, to E-3 out of bootcamp, yes I was a push button (enlisted for 6 years), after BE&E school went to E-4, and when I left I was an E-6. I knew some Air Force people that were still trying to get E-4 when I got out.

It is the end result you are looking for and do not plan on staying in, then I would go Air Force, the only bad thing is that if you enjoy the military and stay in, you will rank up slower and thus the pay will also be lower. I was planning on doing a career, but with growing up around military all my life, the military changed from what I was use to, so ended up getting out after my 6 years, back in 1990, had I stayed in, I would of been retired today.
fugimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
I say air force. Both my dad an step dad were in the air force. I tried joining, but because of medical reasons, i couldn't join any branch. (eye)
Old 08-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I spent 10 years in the Navy...all the time wishing I was in the Air Force. :(
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Rob191288

You can make rank in the Air Force quick too if you do it right, I went from an E-1 in bootcamp to an E-3 afterwards (I'm also enlisted in for 6 years) then I made below the zone where you get to put on E-4 6 months early and I tested for E-5. Find out Thursday if I made it, and if I did I will be sewing on E-5 at 3 1/2 years Time in service.

The only thing you gotta watch out for in becoming Security Forces in the Air Force is you could also end up guarding the nukes. If you get one of the nuke bases chances are your not going to do much Law Enforcement.

USAF is right about the degree too, when you go through bootcamp and Technical training school you gain college credits, then you gain more credits by doing your CDC's which is job knowledge. After all thats done you only need 20 or so credits to have you AA in Criminal Justice. Its not hard to get that degree at all.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Depends on what you want to do. I would choose Air Force, or should I say, Damn near chose. Parts of me still wish I went into the military.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
One MOS often over looked by people joining the military with hopes of one day working in civilian law enforcement is 31D (Criminal Investigation Special Agent). Its less of a beat cop and more of a detective. If I had it to do over again that is what I would do, but I was a crazy kid that just wanted to blow stuff up so I went 19D (Cavalry Scout).
Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #17
wangtangjf7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
You can make rank in the Air Force quick too if you do it right, I went from an E-1 in bootcamp to an E-3 afterwards (I'm also enlisted in for 6 years) then I made below the zone where you get to put on E-4 6 months early and I tested for E-5. Find out Thursday if I made it, and if I did I will be sewing on E-5 at 3 1/2 years Time in service.

The only thing you gotta watch out for in becoming Security Forces in the Air Force is you could also end up guarding the nukes. If you get one of the nuke bases chances are your not going to do much Law Enforcement.

USAF is right about the degree too, when you go through bootcamp and Technical training school you gain college credits, then you gain more credits by doing your CDC's which is job knowledge. After all thats done you only need 20 or so credits to have you AA in Criminal Justice. Its not hard to get that degree at all.

hmmm...that sounds interesting because i've already been taking criminal justice classes. i almost have 60 hrs of college credit as well and was also wanting to go in as an officer. man, there are so many things to consider but it seems like everyone is saying air force. i guess thats where i'm leaning towards.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
Rob191288

Quote:
hmmm...that sounds interesting because i've already been taking criminal justice classes. i almost have 60 hrs of college credit as well and was also wanting to go in as an officer. man, there are so many things to consider but it seems like everyone is saying air force. i guess thats where i'm leaning towards.

Ohh if you have that many credits in Criminal justice then come in as an officer as a cop I'll tell you though, the officers dont do the grunt work such as the law enforcement or security, they are more admin jobs. But DONT let the enlisted recruiter get you to get in enlisted if you wanna be an officer. I know someone who had her AA in Criminal just and her recruiter screwed her got her to join enlisted and now its a pain for her to get into Officer training school because they don't take that many people at a time
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
USAF

Quote:
Ohh if you have that many credits in Criminal justice then come in as an officer as a cop I'll tell you though, the officers dont do the grunt work such as the law enforcement or security, they are more admin jobs. But DONT let the enlisted recruiter get you to get in enlisted if you wanna be an officer. I know someone who had her AA in Criminal just and her recruiter screwed her got her to join enlisted and now its a pain for her to get into Officer training school because they don't take that many people at a time

I agree. Though I am enlisted for life and could never see myself as an officer. If you already have the education and don't mind some politics there is no reason not to collect the extra money as an officer. I prefer to "work in the trenches" with everyone else.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
Rob191288

Quote:
I agree. Though I am enlisted for life and could never see myself as an officer. If you already have the education and don't mind some politics there is no reason not to collect the extra money as an officer. I prefer to "work in the trenches" with everyone else.

I agree with you, It's alot more fun "working in the trenches"
Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
wangtangjf7

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you, It's alot more fun "working in the trenches"
I agree with both of ya'll. I am basically doing admin work right now and i seriously hate it. dang, wish i could just get enlisted but paid like an officer. that would be nice
Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #22
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Every branch has its good points and bad points. I can't speak for today, but when I was in the Navy in the 80s, I made E-6 in 3 years 7 mos. I never met anyone in the AF make rank that quick that started fresh. No one. It's all about the $$. If you're going to do it, get PAID! AF and Navy have the best training programs. I worked as a Navy Nuke mechanic and when I got out, I was able to walk right into a commercial nuclear power plant in the early 90s making some obscene $$. Get as much education as possible.

Now, officer ranks...that's the way to go. Don't let anyone tell you any different. You'll get a degree if you don't have one already, and you'll get leadership skills that many companies (by the time you decide you might want out, the economy might be better, if not, stay in!) like to see as you're far more seasoned than the average punk getting out of college.

At any rate, the military will make you self-sufficient but you also learn a lot about teamwork. Great experience, although I wouldn't want to do it again.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #23
SCPO/SS

Drives: 2010 2SS / 6AT Cyber Grey
I may be a little bias but Navy all the way!!! The Master of Arms (MA) rate is the Navy Police Force. Yea, you will probably spend some time at sea, but you get extra pay when you do. There's nothing better than cold hard cash in the bank. The Navy has a lot of officer commissioning programs available for sailors, if you choose to go to the dark side. You need to talk to all of the service recruiters to see if that rate or specialty is open. Don’t let the recruiter make you a promise, you want that rate or specialty guaranteed and in writing on your enlistment contract if you choose to go enlisted. Once you’re in and you complete Boot camp, then it is up to you to complete the training school. :flag2:

BMCS/SS Retired
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
im ex Air Force so im bias but i say USAF.
best time= 12.6@110 in the July heat at 6000ft alt
DA Corrected = 11.396@121.765
75 shot Giggle Gas = 12.2@118

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #25
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
What kind of question is this? You're asking a bunch of people you never met to make a decision like this for you? We don't know you. Talk to your Dad/Mom/family.

After 23 years in the Army I actually enjoyed climbing on my tank and rolling around in the dirt and shooting at things miles away. There's nothing like 72 tons hauling ass through a town with a mine-plow attached to the front.

Each branch does have different missions and different purposes. Each has good things as well as bad. For all those that go to Andrews AFB how many go to Minot AFB in North Dakota(no offense North Dakotans(especially you, Mom)).

Talk to your family.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote