Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
plastrd
Indecisive

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Clutch stuck for first time

I revved her up to around 3500rpm and popped the clutch to do a burner the other night. Unfortunately the clutch stuck about halfway up and although I realized the tires weren't spinning and let up quickly, I still smoked the clutch a bit (that great smell filled the cabin).

I drove normally the rest of the way home and it seemed fine, I've been driving like I usually do (aggressive, but not jerkwad) and that all seemed fine too. This is the first time this has happened, it didn't happen a few months back when I took it to the strip and did 12 runs in relatively quick succession. I popped the hood and checked the brake/clutch reservoir and found this:

So obviously I boiled the fluid and it relieved itself out the cap. The level still seems fine now so I'm just thinking of ways to prevent this from happening again. I have a couple driving technique questions for you guys:

When I begin slowing down for a stop or a corner, I usually downshift and smoothly engage the clutch to engine brake. Is this adding significant heat to the system that might cause a boil situation like this next time I launch hard? Do you typically try to rev-match when downshifting?

Some of the other threads suggested a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid. It seems like this is a cheap and easy mod so I figured I might as well. I'm not too keen about hunting through a junk yard, is there a new reservoir I can buy online inexpensively that will be a good fit for the car?

Any other tips to be nice to the clutch without driving like a granny?
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Go to your chevy dealer and get a GTO res. and install it sep from the brake with better Fluid...
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Go to your chevy dealer and get a GTO res. and install it sep from the brake with better Fluid...
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
plastrd
Indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Do you happen to have a part number for it? I found some kits online for over $200. I was under the impression from other threads that this was a $20 part.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
In this thread in post 13 and you need to replace the fluid before and after you go to the track.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
plastrd
Indecisive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
In this thread in post 13 and you need to replace the fluid before and after you go to the track.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085
Aha! That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Fast vette

Drives: 2SS IOM M6, 71 ElCamino, 00 Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
I revved her up to around 3500rpm and popped the clutch to do a burner the other night. Unfortunately the clutch stuck about halfway up and although I realized the tires weren't spinning and let up quickly, I still smoked the clutch a bit (that great smell filled the cabin).

I drove normally the rest of the way home and it seemed fine, I've been driving like I usually do (aggressive, but not jerkwad) and that all seemed fine too. This is the first time this has happened, it didn't happen a few months back when I took it to the strip and did 12 runs in relatively quick succession. I popped the hood and checked the brake/clutch reservoir and found this:

So obviously I boiled the fluid and it relieved itself out the cap. The level still seems fine now so I'm just thinking of ways to prevent this from happening again. I have a couple driving technique questions for you guys:

When I begin slowing down for a stop or a corner, I usually downshift and smoothly engage the clutch to engine brake. Is this adding significant heat to the system that might cause a boil situation like this next time I launch hard? Do you typically try to rev-match when downshifting?

Some of the other threads suggested a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid. It seems like this is a cheap and easy mod so I figured I might as well. I'm not too keen about hunting through a junk yard, is there a new reservoir I can buy online inexpensively that will be a good fit for the car?

Any other tips to be nice to the clutch without driving like a granny?
Definately a good idea to go to the seperate reservoir and fill it with something like Wilwood racing brake fluid. I got tired of searching for a new reservoir that I liked ( GTO or aftermarket ) so went to the boneyard and got one off of a Cobalt I think it was.
Better to rev-match when downshifting, a little less fun but why downshift all the time? Better to wear down the brakes than the clutch and the engine.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I've had my clutch stick several times, never had anything happen to reservoir. However, I did burn up the clutch.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote