Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
plastrd
Indecisive
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Macomb,MI
Posts: 65
Clutch stuck for first time

I revved her up to around 3500rpm and popped the clutch to do a burner the other night. Unfortunately the clutch stuck about halfway up and although I realized the tires weren't spinning and let up quickly, I still smoked the clutch a bit (that great smell filled the cabin).

I drove normally the rest of the way home and it seemed fine, I've been driving like I usually do (aggressive, but not jerkwad) and that all seemed fine too. This is the first time this has happened, it didn't happen a few months back when I took it to the strip and did 12 runs in relatively quick succession. I popped the hood and checked the brake/clutch reservoir and found this:



So obviously I boiled the fluid and it relieved itself out the cap. The level still seems fine now so I'm just thinking of ways to prevent this from happening again. I have a couple driving technique questions for you guys:

When I begin slowing down for a stop or a corner, I usually downshift and smoothly engage the clutch to engine brake. Is this adding significant heat to the system that might cause a boil situation like this next time I launch hard? Do you typically try to rev-match when downshifting?

Some of the other threads suggested a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid. It seems like this is a cheap and easy mod so I figured I might as well. I'm not too keen about hunting through a junk yard, is there a new reservoir I can buy online inexpensively that will be a good fit for the car?

Any other tips to be nice to the clutch without driving like a granny?
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Capthowdy

 
Capthowdy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale Fl
Posts: 1,048
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Go to your chevy dealer and get a GTO res. and install it sep from the brake with better Fluid...
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Go to your chevy dealer and get a GTO res. and install it sep from the brake with better Fluid...
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
plastrd
Indecisive
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Macomb,MI
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Go to your chevy dealer and get a GTO res. and install it sep from the brake with better Fluid...
Do you happen to have a part number for it? I found some kits online for over $200. I was under the impression from other threads that this was a $20 part.
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,544
In this thread in post 13 and you need to replace the fluid before and after you go to the track.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
plastrd
Indecisive
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Macomb,MI
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
In this thread in post 13 and you need to replace the fluid before and after you go to the track.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34085
Aha! That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks.
plastrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
Fast vette
 
Fast vette's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS IOM M6, 71 ElCamino, 00 Sierra
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mont St-Hilaire, Quebec
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post
I revved her up to around 3500rpm and popped the clutch to do a burner the other night. Unfortunately the clutch stuck about halfway up and although I realized the tires weren't spinning and let up quickly, I still smoked the clutch a bit (that great smell filled the cabin).

I drove normally the rest of the way home and it seemed fine, I've been driving like I usually do (aggressive, but not jerkwad) and that all seemed fine too. This is the first time this has happened, it didn't happen a few months back when I took it to the strip and did 12 runs in relatively quick succession. I popped the hood and checked the brake/clutch reservoir and found this:



So obviously I boiled the fluid and it relieved itself out the cap. The level still seems fine now so I'm just thinking of ways to prevent this from happening again. I have a couple driving technique questions for you guys:

When I begin slowing down for a stop or a corner, I usually downshift and smoothly engage the clutch to engine brake. Is this adding significant heat to the system that might cause a boil situation like this next time I launch hard? Do you typically try to rev-match when downshifting?

Some of the other threads suggested a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid. It seems like this is a cheap and easy mod so I figured I might as well. I'm not too keen about hunting through a junk yard, is there a new reservoir I can buy online inexpensively that will be a good fit for the car?

Any other tips to be nice to the clutch without driving like a granny?
Definately a good idea to go to the seperate reservoir and fill it with something like Wilwood racing brake fluid. I got tired of searching for a new reservoir that I liked ( GTO or aftermarket ) so went to the boneyard and got one off of a Cobalt I think it was.
Better to rev-match when downshifting, a little less fun but why downshift all the time? Better to wear down the brakes than the clutch and the engine.
__________________
There are only two auto manufacturers; GM and everybody else...
Fast vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
flyby

 
Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Glen Gardner, NJ
Posts: 1,325
I've had my clutch stick several times, never had anything happen to reservoir. However, I did burn up the clutch.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One year ago today....(long read) dtm4192 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 23 07-18-2010 09:34 AM
Clutch issues. Anybody else seen this before? H & E Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 47 05-21-2010 02:38 PM
Odd clutch and shifting issue for me. armysig Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 1 02-22-2010 11:36 AM
Coming Soon! RAM Twin Disc Clutch and Flywheel! Taking Pre-Order List @BMC Peformance Kris@BMCPerformance V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 7 02-18-2010 07:00 PM
Clutch sticking again KATHY63 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 13 09-21-2009 07:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.