Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #43
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 3,848
NOTHING, will preserve your investment better than regular oil changes.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #44
fastball
White 'n Nerdy
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT ordered
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,124
What are the viscosity ratings for AMSOIL/Royal Purple? It sounds like it's rather thick, but people seem to swear by them in all sorts of engine applications (BMWs, Honda DOHC VTEC, GM LSx series, you name it).

I'm partial to Mobil 1, 5w-30 (unless GM starts to use 5w-20 like some manufacturers are doing).

I will always change my own oil, even under warranty. I can take my time, and after filling it I always take it for an easy drive around the block for all the oil to circulate, and then check the level again and add if needed - I doubt any Chevy dealer is going to go through that trouble.

Under warranty if anything goes wrong I will obviously take it to the dealer, but after that I will do all of my own maintenance and repairs within reason. Things I can't do myself (tires) I take to someone who can do it right (i.e. understands how to mount/remove tires with TPS sensors) without charging an arm and a leg (dealers are typically the most expensive when it comes to this stuff).
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #45
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 3,848
Royal Purple certainly has a full-fledged "cult following".

However, I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1. It's also what GM fills it with at the factory (LS3 for sure), and it's what they recommend for the life of the vehicle.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #46
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zforce View Post
First, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions on oil and change intervals (even though it was not my thread, I sure learned plenty).

Second, I like to say that I plan on changing the oil on my 2010 Camaro twice a year (spring and again in the fall) since for starters, doing your own oil change gives you the opportunity to give the car a look over and hopefully spot things that need to be taken care of before they become a problem. It's also an opportunity to know your car, inside out.

For me, the two most important things in knowing your car's condition are an oil change, and washing the car. When I slide under the car I get the chance to look over the breaks, steering mechanism and frame. When I had wash my car I insect the entire body for dings, scratches and chips.

Call it what you will, to me a car is more than just a machine to get me from point a to point b. Changing the oil and washing the car gives me the opportunity to know what is going on with the car and the condition it is in. So for that reason I will do my own oil changes and as oil is concerned, I guess I’ll be using synthetic oil, as many of your posts have good things to say.

Again thanks.
the new camaro will be coming from the factory with synthetic oil, so just stick with whatever it comes with (more than likely M1 5w-30)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
What are the viscosity ratings for AMSOIL/Royal Purple? It sounds like it's rather thick, but people seem to swear by them in all sorts of engine applications (BMWs, Honda DOHC VTEC, GM LSx series, you name it).

I'm partial to Mobil 1, 5w-30 (unless GM starts to use 5w-20 like some manufacturers are doing).

I will always change my own oil, even under warranty. I can take my time, and after filling it I always take it for an easy drive around the block for all the oil to circulate, and then check the level again and add if needed - I doubt any Chevy dealer is going to go through that trouble.
viscosity ratings for amsoil/rp are the same as m1, or any other oil company,

you can get them in whatever weight you want... 5-30, 0-30, 10-30, 5-40, 10-40, 10-50, 20-50, etc.

its not just one specific weight.


Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
Royal Purple certainly has a full-fledged "cult following".

However, I don't think you can go wrong with Mobil 1. It's also what GM fills it with at the factory (LS3 for sure), and it's what they recommend for the life of the vehicle.
M1 is a good oil. they also have some damn good filters to boot. and they are reasonably priced as well.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #47
2001ragtop

 
2001ragtop's Avatar
 
Drives: V8 american car
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,417
well said, well spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
Honestly, most dealers (not all) pay their "oil guys" next to nothing for doing an oil change and the faster they do it, the more they make. They rush the job and are not exactly careful when moving the cars. In my experience, they do not seem to care about the cars the way many of us do. The dings that have been put in many of my cars have come from a dealer employee. The dealer has always denied it and that walk around sheet they filled out did not amount to damn thing. The oil stains on my carpet, door panel, fender/front fascia/hood, steering wheel, seat, and anywhere else the guy chose to touch took me longer to clean up than doing the oil change myself...which I do. I've brought such "inattentiveness" up in the past and asked that it be cleaned off. I've gotten responses, such as "Your kidding, right?" I see the dealer only when necessary.
As inconvenient as it is, I agree with you completely. I always do my oil change myself. I don't want to see a guy with oil pouring down his arm go sit in my car, which I have seen. I have found oil on the door panel, steering wheel and shifter. Also if they strip your drain plug, pour in the wrong weight of oil, anything. you can only blame yourself because you agreed to let someone else do it. Adios
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #48
theholycow


 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIXXTERR View Post
TRUE.. Although FORD is the only one I KNOW to have Done This..FORD REQUIRES 5-20. I Had A Customer Put 10-30 In his 08 f-150 and then went to the local dealer with a ticking noise, They checked it out and TESTED his oil, Found It Wasnt The proper 5-20 oil. AND VOIDED his powertrain warranty On the Spot, Maybe this dealer was being an ASS about things but, Dont say they cant do it.. I Know it has been done.
They can't legally void his whole powertrain warranty; all they can do is deny the claim for the ticking noise -- legally, anyway. When they pull something like that, the legal battle to force them to comply could be costly so they've effectively gotten away with it unless you can find free legal representation (which may be possible from a consumer watchdog group or by getting some publicity as a consumer being abused by a big company).

That said, why the heck would someone put 10w30 in an engine designed for 5w20? I would think that it's obvious to most people that the engine may not be capable of moving the thicker oil fast enough...but I'm no engine engineer, so I can't say that I'm SURE of that idea. I just know that they have a lot to lose by specifying less than the perfect oil weight; a reputation for early engine failure will destroy sales quickly, so what the manual specifies is almost certainly the right weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
NOTHING, will preserve your investment better than regular oil changes.
That depends on how you use it. I'd say following the service schedule as a whole is far more important than having perfect oil change habits. Oh, and a car isn't an investment.
__________________
Removing weight has surprisingly little effect on fuel economy
Engine break-in procedure | Gear ratios
2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (190,000 miles and going strong)
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #49
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Oh, and a car isn't an investment.
as much of an investment as a relationship/marriage.... if not more.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #50
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
They can't legally void his whole powertrain warranty; all they can do is deny the claim for the ticking noise -- legally, anyway. When they pull something like that, the legal battle to force them to comply could be costly so they've effectively gotten away with it unless you can find free legal representation (which may be possible from a consumer watchdog group or by getting some publicity as a consumer being abused by a big company).

That said, why the heck would someone put 10w30 in an engine designed for 5w20? I would think that it's obvious to most people that the engine may not be capable of moving the thicker oil fast enough...but I'm no engine engineer, so I can't say that I'm SURE of that idea. I just know that they have a lot to lose by specifying less than the perfect oil weight; a reputation for early engine failure will destroy sales quickly, so what the manual specifies is almost certainly the right weight.



That depends on how you use it. I'd say following the service schedule as a whole is far more important than having perfect oil change habits. Oh, and a car isn't an investment.


You're right, I was trying to be nice... It's a MONEY PIT. A hole in the pavement. Kiss your money good-bye.

GM won't even lease anything anymore because the resale values are dropping SO FAST, that they are not willing to lose BILLIONS more on undervalued residual values. Ahh, that's better.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #51
theholycow


 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
as much of an investment as a relationship/marriage.... if not more.
Way to set the bar low.
__________________
Removing weight has surprisingly little effect on fuel economy
Engine break-in procedure | Gear ratios
2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (190,000 miles and going strong)
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #52
TRIXXTERR
 
TRIXXTERR's Avatar
 
Drives: 96 Z28
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That said, why the heck would someone put 10w30 in an engine designed for 5w20? I would think that it's obvious to most people that the engine may not be capable of moving the thicker oil fast enough...but I'm no engine engineer, so I can't say that I'm SURE of that idea. I just know that they have a lot to lose by specifying less than the perfect oil weight; a reputation for early engine failure will destroy sales quickly, so what the manual specifies is almost certainly the right weight.
Well the answer to that is simple MOST people Who Are NOT car enthusiests either dont . A) CARE. B) KNOW. Or C) are just to STUPID to look.

Most The Ones I Deal With Are a combination of A) and B).


And Then there are the ones who have
""just always done it that way, and its never hurt it before..""
__________________
"...50 years from now, when you're looking back on your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FbodFather
In light of the recent comments concerning Camaro, and the increased excitement as it finally comes to market, please take a moment and read the following closely;

Remember- "It ain't ready 'til it's ready!" Just because we show it to you early, doesn’t mean it’s ready.
TRIXXTERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #53
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,824
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Way to set the bar low.
well, look at how much time and money we put into our cars, and look at how much time and money goes into a lasting relationship...

I paid more for the rock on her hand than I have put into all of my cars over the years.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #54
ctk1
Camarofanatic
 
Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gallitzin PA
Posts: 1,429
" Tirty Dolla, Tirty Dolla Oil Change...It luv u long time!"

"Question is, when you turn on your car, does it return the favor?"
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #55
Black5thgen
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2007 C6
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,252
I just found out that I get free oil changes for life from the dealer. Since the SS takes 7 some odd quarts of very pricey mobile 1, I'll be taking it to the dealer.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #56
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
I just found out that I get free oil changes for life from the dealer. Since the SS takes 7 some odd quarts of very pricey mobile 1, I'll be taking it to the dealer.
Check the fine print on that offer...Our local Ford dealer has the same type of offer but it is only valid for non-synthetic oil changes and does not apply to engines that use synthetic oil and/or diesel engines.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many Camaros need to be sold? TheClassicCarKid 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 31 01-16-2009 08:34 PM
To answer everyones' questions about Camaros at Autoshows... fbodfather 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 33 11-12-2008 09:38 PM
Check out GMPP SEMA Camaros Website! Specs on all SEMA Camaros mods. JustinZS 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 53 11-05-2008 05:42 PM
Camaro's lineup? .Hack 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 66 10-13-2008 08:06 AM
80,000-100,000 Camaros per year Txturbo Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 28 08-17-2008 12:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.