Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Xzilon

So i just got back from my dealership and swapped a few things on my 2SS, and the dealer told me about this stuff called Xzilon. He handed me a brochure and told me that its goes over your cars interior and exterior, and helps against fading, spills, bugs, tree sap, bird crap, etc.

I asked him how much it was if I wanted it on my car, he told me that a single application was $550.00 bucks and he can impliment the the price into my car when i finance it.

For you who have never heard of the product, here is a link of my dealers site, it has a video about this Xzilon crap.

I'm thinking about not getting it, I just dont think its worth it.... Any opinions?

http://www.lakecountychevy.com/?http...com/video.html
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
WAY2FAST

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS Red M6
Sounds like good $hit!
WAY2FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Super magical chemical that protects against everything?

I like their video on the Xzilon.com website. I like that it protects for up to 5 years but never needs to be re-applied.

I have a question: If it is so great, then why can I only buy it at a dealership? Should they be selling it everywhere so they can make a lot more money?

Or you could save yourself about $500 and buy it on ebay and apply it yourself. ebay link
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
magical snake oil
Old 12-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
magical snake oil
I was just about to say ... sounds like snake oil!
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Hey, is Billy Mays in the video? I love that guy. And if he says it's good $hit it is....fur sur! He's like second only to Ron Popeil.

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto - ordered 10/18/08 - Polished Aluminums added 12/1/08
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It won't fade or have too many problems if you just keep up on the cleaning and tint your windows a little bit. You don't need to buy this scam to keep your car nice.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Here's Jeff Foxworthy applying it to his hair.

Sounds like BS to me.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
After you buy this, I'd love to sell you some blinker fluid.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #10
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If you read my post, I believe I said i wasnt going to get it....let me check if i did..... Yeap, I said I wasnt going to get..... I just posted it to get feedback, not people trying to make lame joke and failing hardcore.
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I just wouldn't feel right not waxing my car... but that was a pretty impressive video. Way too much money though.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Here's what sounds like some straight talk about it:

Alright here goes. You can take everything I say with a grain of salt, I am just giving you my experience as a detailer. I see XZILON on a lot of cars that I detail so here is the breakdown.

1) It's a high durabilty sealant that will normally last 6 months to a year. It *does* bond to the paint in the same way any polymer based sealant will bond to paint (Zaino, UPP, Poorboys sealants, Megs NXT etc... all the same concept. Polymers bond to the surface of the paint to protect it). The bonding process has nothing to do with the kind of paint. Paint sealants will bond to almost any smooth surface - this isn't a new concept. The only difference between the consumer ones and XZILON is that they are higher luster/less durabilty so they need to be re-applied more often.

2) You need to have it re-applied. Their 5-year gaurantee is *NOT* 5 years of durabilty, it's 5 years of free re-application at the dealership. Tell them you want it re-applied every time you show up. In my experience dealerships never have to re-apply it, so you might meet some resistance ("Oh it doesnt need to be" or "Oh we dont do that") Yes it does, and yes they do.

3) Most folks don't know that, so they never have it re-applied which is why XZILON is such a huge money maker for dealerships. $500-$800 for a 2 ounce application of a sealant you can buy online for $15 a bottle. If the customer never has it re-applied that's something like a 5000% profit for them.

4) It protects the same as any locally available sealant. Protects from bird poop, rain, acid rain, the sun, sap, etc...

5) Unfortunately if you read the fine print the warranty is void if you wax or polish your car, which is a bummer. This essentially means once purchased you're stuck with their product. If you wax your car or have it polished they'll tell you the warranty is void.

This is where I move away from facts and get into opinion. It's my opinion that this stuff is a total rip off. Even if you have it re-applied every 6 months you will never see $500 of worth out of it. You can go to pep boys and pick up a bottle of NXT for $16.99 and apply it yourself in 15 minutes every 4 months for 5 years (15 applications) on one bottle. That's $16.99 out of pocket and ~6 hours of work over 5 years to save anywhere from $480-$680. Alternatively you could pay a detailer to clay/polish/seal your car every half-year for the same amount, and that way you essentially get a free clay/polish every 6 months which will keep the car looking great. XZILON will not protect against scratches, swirls, etc.

Don't feel bad - thousands of people opt for this stuff and really it isn't a *bad* thing, it's just a grossly overpriced thing.

2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto - ordered 10/18/08 - Polished Aluminums added 12/1/08
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
It's don't bother, just another dealer markup, your car will already come with something like this from the factory.