Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Car shaking / choppy acceleration under 1,500ish RPM

Hey, guys. So, tonight I noticed my SS was acting a bit abnormal (this hasn't happened before). After a few seconds at idle, the car begins shaking a bit. It keeps shaking and the acceleration is pretty choppy/jumpy until I hit about 1,500 RPMs. I've also noticed some decel pop on occasion at low RPMs. No CEL or anything like that, though. All I've done is long tube headers and a Dyno tune back in May, haven't had a single issue since then. I, luckily, just dropped it off for inspection and informed the head mechanic about the issue (I know him very well, so he won't make up an issue just to get some money out of me).

Can anybody help me out here? I'm kinda freaking out just thinking about having to take it into the dealer and dealing with their usual garbage.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it!
CyberGreyConvertible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
markgws6

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Since nobody else is bothering to answer you, I will.

My 2013 SS shakes on idle occasionally. I believe it's normal, but if it gets excessive, try changing your brand of fuel. I noticed it shakes more if I use certain brands. My car seems to like Shell and Chevron here in CA (which just happen to cost more, go figure.)

Choppy acceleration should be checked but it might be the torque management system limiting torque to your wheels, especially under cold conditions. But it's more of a lack of power or hesitation in my car's case at low RPMs. If yours is truly "jumpy" you should have the car checked and take it back to that tuner to have the tune checked.

The deceleration pops are a normal characteristic of our engines but get more pronounced with headers and high-flow cats and mufflers.

CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop and washer bottle, Hypertech 91 tune, ZR1 diff fluid, Motul RBF-600, Russell SS brake lines, SLP skip-shift override, SRP Pedals, No trunk or hood insulation, Forza 3 way exhaust control, octane fuse reset
markgws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
Hey, guys. So, tonight I noticed my SS was acting a bit abnormal (this hasn't happened before). After a few seconds at idle, the car begins shaking a bit. It keeps shaking and the acceleration is pretty choppy/jumpy until I hit about 1,500 RPMs. I've also noticed some decel pop on occasion at low RPMs. No CEL or anything like that, though. All I've done is long tube headers and a Dyno tune back in May, haven't had a single issue since then. I, luckily, just dropped it off for inspection and informed the head mechanic about the issue (I know him very well, so he won't make up an issue just to get some money out of me).

Can anybody help me out here? I'm kinda freaking out just thinking about having to take it into the dealer and dealing with their usual garbage.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it!
Not sure how often you are on the forum...so you may have missed it. I had this EXACT same issue last week! Mine did it on Monday. I let it sit till Wednesday with the Battery unhooked to see if there was just a glitch in the computer. No go. I have Shorty headers and HF cats, no tune. I do the work my self and knew there was a chance I could have a cracked plug or lose wire...even though I put the headers on last winter and drove it all summer and it was fine. Even a stressed plug could have cracked internally. So, I bought new plugs ($60) and replaced the plugs, carefully put the wires back on making sure they were well seated. Fired up the car and problem is gone! Likely was a plug as I checked as I pulled the wires and all seemed seated well.
Throw in new plugs and I bet the problem goes away.

Let us know.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
markgws6

[QUOTE=Kendall421;8733432]Not sure how often you are on the forum...so you may have missed it. I had this EXACT same issue last week! Mine did it on Monday. I let it sit till Wednesday with the Battery unhooked to see if there was just a glitch in the computer. No go. I have Shorty headers and HF cats, no tune. I do the work my self and knew there was a chance I could have a cracked plug or lose wire...even though I put the headers on last winter and drove it all summer and it was fine. Even a stressed plug could have cracked internally. So, I bought new plugs ($60) and replaced the plugs, carefully put the wires back on making sure they were well seated. Fired up the car and problem is gone! Likely was a plug as I checked as I pulled the wires and all seemed seated well.

Let us know.[/QUOTE

Oh I was also thinking if you have a code scanner (or someone who has one) they could get the code and you can google it to see what is the fault too.

CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop and washer bottle, Hypertech 91 tune, ZR1 diff fluid, Motul RBF-600, Russell SS brake lines, SLP skip-shift override, SRP Pedals, No trunk or hood insulation, Forza 3 way exhaust control, octane fuse reset
Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Kendall421

[QUOTE=markgws6;8733555]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Not sure how often you are on the forum...so you may have missed it. I had this EXACT same issue last week! Mine did it on Monday. I let it sit till Wednesday with the Battery unhooked to see if there was just a glitch in the computer. No go. I have Shorty headers and HF cats, no tune. I do the work my self and knew there was a chance I could have a cracked plug or lose wire...even though I put the headers on last winter and drove it all summer and it was fine. Even a stressed plug could have cracked internally. So, I bought new plugs ($60) and replaced the plugs, carefully put the wires back on making sure they were well seated. Fired up the car and problem is gone! Likely was a plug as I checked as I pulled the wires and all seemed seated well.

Let us know.[/QUOTE

Oh I was also thinking if you have a code scanner (or someone who has one) they could get the code and you can google it to see what is the fault too.
I have a code reader...no CEL, no code. I have AeroForce gauges too and set one to read mis-fires. Won't tell me what cylinder, but was showing a high number of mis-fires...not enough to throw a code, but higher than normal. Like 20 mis-fires in 5 minutes. I changed plugs and let it run for 30 minutes...only got 6 mis-fires in that time. Some mis-fire is normal.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
markgws6

[QUOTE=Kendall421;8733655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post

I have a code reader...no CEL, no code. I have AeroForce gauges too and set one to read mis-fires. Won't tell me what cylinder, but was showing a high number of mis-fires...not enough to throw a code, but higher than normal. Like 20 mis-fires in 5 minutes. I changed plugs and let it run for 30 minutes...only got 6 mis-fires in that time. Some mis-fire is normal.
Good to know!! OP, send this info to your tuner too or try changing your own spark plugs. Yours is a 2012 and depending on how many miles you have it might help as it did with Kendall421. Though I don't know if you'd have to retune with the dyno after changing them... Kendall, is it hard to get to the spark plugs in our cars? Also, I remember someone else saying their spark plugs were very oil fouled .. it might also be happening if you do not have a catch can. (I have the stock 1LE catch can but I might get the dirty side one too.)

Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #7
Kendall421

[QUOTE=markgws6;8734053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post

Good to know!! OP, send this info to your tuner too or try changing your own spark plugs. Yours is a 2012 and depending on how many miles you have it might help as it did with Kendall421. Though I don't know if you'd have to retune with the dyno after changing them... Kendall, is it hard to get to the spark plugs in our cars? Also, I remember someone else saying their spark plugs were very oil fouled .. it might also be happening if you do not have a catch can. (I have the stock 1LE catch can but I might get the dirty side one too.)
He won't have to do anything with the tune after changing plugs.
The plugs are not bad to get to other than my Shorty headers made it a pain in the ass to get a couple of them out and back in. But with LT headers, I think it would be a breeze.
The plugs should not be oily at all. They should be pretty clean, but look for darkness on the porcelain between the hex and the top. This would indicate a broken plug. I did'nt have that, but plugs still fixed it.
Catch can does not affect your plug burn and would not make the plugs oily. The catch can keeps some oil vapor from getting into the intake, but even if it gets in the intake, if any of the vapor makes it to the cylinder there is enough fuel and air mixed with it and hot enough spark to flash it off.