Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #26
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
The cost of an SS model??? Anyone's guess but if GM's going to stick to Mr. Lutz' claims, then I can't see them charging an extra $10,000 for a $6800 engine.
Oh I CAN! I could easily see an SS / Z28 edition costing over $40K! Think about it... The engine cost is JUST the beginning... then you have upgrade brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, interior trim, HID headlamps, body flares, wings, etc. and you could easily add on $10K to the base v8.

A good example of this is the new BMW M3... the 'base' for this car is the $44K 335i Coupe, but the M3 is going to sell for over $60K! Easy money...

My guess FWIW is that the base V8 will go for $29,995 (base, no options) but will most lilely roll out the door around $33-$35K. The Z28 Edition will probably START around $37.5K and roll out the door closer to $42K

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #27
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
That being said, I WOULD shell out some serious $$$ for a supercharged LS7 (even if it meant eating RAMEN noodles for a year or so)... its just going to be SO worth it!

~LSx
Id be in the cardboard box next to you eating some ramen if they do that..lol
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #28
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
I know this is somewhat OT, but now I am really confused. I just re-read this article on the new "Blue Devil" ubber Vette. Everyone has been speculating 6.2 or 7.0 Liter S/C engine. I know I have read the article before but must have glossed over it. According to C&D this is what Lutz says about the engine in the Blue Devil:

Lutz won’t divulge engine details except to say the displacement of the new (Blue Devil) powertrain is greater than that of the pushrod 7.0-liter V-8 in the Z06.

Page 2 here's the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyaut...nce-page2.html

Can this be correct? I mean it is Car and Driver.

JWz28.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #29
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWz28 View Post
I know this is somewhat OT, but now I am really confused. I just re-read this article on the new "Blue Devil" ubber Vette. Everyone has been speculating 6.2 or 7.0 Liter S/C engine. I know I have read the article before but must have glossed over it. According to C&D this is what Lutz says about the engine in the Blue Devil:

Lutz won’t divulge engine details except to say the displacement of the new (Blue Devil) powertrain is greater than that of the pushrod 7.0-liter V-8 in the Z06.

Page 2 here's the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyaut...nce-page2.html

Can this be correct? I mean it is Car and Driver.

JWz28.
I don't think so... I think ol Bob was just tossing some chaff into the air. Everything I have read/heard has this engine as one of the supercharged options listed above.

IF they did make it larger, it would require a larger block (IMHO) since the 427 currently used is as big as they could get with the current bore spacing.

~LSx
Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #30
JWz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
LS7 is old news, maybe an LSA?
LSA????

Enlighten me please.

JWz28.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #31
JWz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxcellent View Post
I don't think so... I think ol Bob was just tossing some chaff into the air. Everything I have read/heard has this engine as one of the supercharged options listed above.

IF they did make it larger, it would require a larger block (IMHO) since the 427 currently used is as big as they could get with the current bore spacing.

~LSx
LSX
At the 2006 SEMA show, GM Performance Parts introduced the LSX engine, an all-new cast-iron racing block based on the LS7 engine. It was designed with help from drag racing legend Warren Johnson, and despite being based on GM's small-block design, it offers displacements ranging from 364 cubic inches to 511 cubic inches (4.25" Bore x 4.5" Stroke) and is capable of withstanding 2500 bhp. This block incorporates two extra rows of head-bolt holes per bank for increased clamping capacity. The six bolt steel main caps are the same ones used on the LS7 engine. The engine debuted at the auto show in a customized 1969 Camaro owned by Reggie Jackson. The LSX will be available starting the second quarter of 2007, set to be available in authorized dealerships and retailers on March 31, 2007.[2]

LS9
Early reports indicate that a 6.2 L LS9 derivative is due in 2008. Displacement was a reportedly decreased for a thicker cylinder wall, to promote a stronger cylinder to deal with the rigors of possibly forced induction. A picture of this motor was seen drifting around on the internet, and it seems to be equipped with a positive displacement supercharger and is stated to produce 700 hp and will be available in the future Z07. A tuned down version will also be available with 600 hp in the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

We will see. Doubt they would use the LSX due to weight but it sure looks like you could make up for it with HP.

JWz28.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #32
kuehjo

Drives: 88 IROC, 68 Firebird, 04 Escal
Sorry - I originally posted the $6800 figure for the LS7 - but that's just a short block (i think that was from Golen - found it with Google!). $12-$15K is PROBABLY a better estimate for a complete motor.

Just to reiterate my position - I believe that this motor COULD be offered, but it would be at a premium price ($40K or more) and in a limited run. I think a basic V8 motor is gonna put this car in the $30K range.

Interesting horsepower war we seem to find ourselves in, considering the cost of gasoline and concerns for global warming (whether you personally believe it or not - the popular concern exists). We're a long way from the mid-70's second gen cars here!!!

kuehjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #33
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
IMO, I think the "RS" equivalent will cost $29,995 and based off what the '06 GTO was running, I expect the Z28 to cost somewhere in the $33-35k~ish area. So perhaps the SS will shoot up in price a bit to maybe $42-45k
That's '07 vette territory..
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
(sigh)
nobody trespasses into vette Territory (in every sense of the phrase), you get eaten immediately, even Camaro's....
Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #35
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWz28 View Post
LSX
At the 2006 SEMA show, GM Performance Parts introduced the LSX engine, an all-new cast-iron racing block based on the LS7 engine. It was designed with help from drag racing legend Warren Johnson, and despite being based on GM's small-block design, it offers displacements ranging from 364 cubic inches to 511 cubic inches (4.25" Bore x 4.5" Stroke) and is capable of withstanding 2500 bhp. This block incorporates two extra rows of head-bolt holes per bank for increased clamping capacity. The six bolt steel main caps are the same ones used on the LS7 engine. The engine debuted at the auto show in a customized 1969 Camaro owned by Reggie Jackson. The LSX will be available starting the second quarter of 2007, set to be available in authorized dealerships and retailers on March 31, 2007.[2]

LS9
Early reports indicate that a 6.2 L LS9 derivativ50e is due in 2008. Displacement was a reportedly decreased for a thicker cylinder wall, to promote a stronger cylinder to deal with the rigors of possibly forced induction. A picture of this motor was seen drifting around on the internet, and it seems to be equipped with a positive displacement supercharger and is stated to produce 700 hp and will be available in the future Z07. A tuned down version will also be available with 600 hp in the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

We will see. Doubt they would use the LSX due to weight but it sure looks like you could make up for it with HP.

JWz28.

Yeah, I was thinking of the LSX block when this was brought up, but it really seems like it is a racing engine, not a production block. Its not out of the question, but a 511 ci engine in a corvette? Thats a LOT of cubes for such a car... I really think the LS9 is what we will see... it just makes more sense. The engine can be more compact, and the forced induction can be tuned for a WIDE range of power levels with the same displacement.

I'd put my bet on the 6.2L LS3 with a supercharger... you could get 600hp easy with this setup.

~LSx
Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #36
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
(sigh)
nobody trespasses into vette Territory (in every sense of the phrase), you get eaten immediately, even Camaro's....
Money wise...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #37
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

anyone else think that its no coincidence that we've got the camaro coming out in 09, corvette goes to the C7. the introduction of this new LS3, and LS9 both the 6.2L engine, one's blown with the capibility of pushing 700hp due to thicker cylinder walls. not to mention that 6.2L is just a more aggressive version of the LS2, but it has higher flowing cylinder heads derived from the LS7, a more aggressive camshaft, a revised valve train with offset intake rocker arms, a high-flow intake manifold, and high-flow fuel injectors from the LS7 engine. think about it we've all heard the rumors of the vette pushing 650-700hp in 09, and we know that shelby gt 500 kr is gonna have 540 hp and viper's got 600 hp. they're not blowing a LS7 that already has a compression ratio of 11:1. so heres my prediction (an optimistic one) for the Vette Base model C7 505 hp LS7, ZO6 700 hp LS9. For the camaro, V6 who cares I wont be getting one. Z28 LS3 430hp, SS LS7 505 hp. For those saying why do that when you can get the LS3 and make a LS9, the difference between them are the thick cylinder walls which makes it capable of handeling forced induction. they said that displacement is actually lower in the LS9 due to the reinforced cylinder walls, which is why I think GM wont put them in any car without a blower on it. but thats just my 2 cents

Last edited by TFord; 06-07-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #38
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
for the Vette Base model C7 505 hp LS7,
Hmm, if the Cadillac CTS-v is truely crankin' out 600hp, I don't think they'll make the vette no.# 2.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #39
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Ive seen the commercial for that 600HP caddy so its true
Old 06-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #40
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
Im gonna listen to 3whiterag and say by 09, LS7=gone. By then there will prolly be LS20!! lol im exagerating but i think the LS3 and something new will be around like LS9 seems like a good candidate but idk still.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham

Idk...LS7 just doesn't seem "Camaro" to me....But I've been wrong before...Hell, as long as it's above 350 hp and under 30,000, I'm happy!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #42
LSxcellent

Quote:
Idk...LS7 just doesn't seem "Camaro" to me....But I've been wrong before...Hell, as long as it's above 350 hp and under 30,000, I'm happy!
I'll wager the V6 will have more than 350hp! The V8 is going to be somewhere north of 450hp!

~LSx
Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #43
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Z28 had the LS7 and beat up on the shelby gt500!!! No need to hire the SS assassin!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:33 AM   #44
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Oh, but they say there will be a "few V8 engines." And IMO, that means a base V8 at a beginning 350hp. Then, it'll get bumped up to the LS3 w/ 430, and then the big daddy w/ a S/C on it pushing 550. MMMmmmmm.....yeah...it'll happen.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #45
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Z28 had the LS7 and beat up on the shelby gt500!!! No need to hire the SS assassin!
I am looking forward to finding a GT500 in my supercharged 6.2L 650hp Z28 Camaro and showing him how good my car looks from behind!

There happens to be a older gent down the street from me who rolls around town in his GT500 like he is hot sh!t, and I would LOVE to just roll up next to him and illustrate what 650hp looks like...

Oh, and there are WAY to many people with Porsches, Ferrari's, Lamborgini's around here that need to educated...

<edit: On the drag strip of course! No street racing kids!>

~LSx

Last edited by LSxcellent; 06-08-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: forgot the disclaimer
Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #46
Mr. Wyndham

you all know that I'm not one for mustangs but I've got to share this story with you. There was a 5 road intersection I was in, and A mustang GT pulled up next to a ricer of some sort (doesn't really matter to me, a ricer is a ricer), anyways The light turns green, and I'm watching this from an adjacent street, The Mustang ROARS, I mean, my windows shook! and just destroys this little shitter...Funniest thing in my life! Earned a little more respect for the pony, too.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #47
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Personally I think that 650 may be a bit too optimistic, unless you are talking about being modded. in that case 650HP should be reasonably easy to get given the advancements in engine technology. I'll be happy with a 430HP LS3 stock. That's more power than any factory Camaro ever had. The sky's the limit from there. Now if I can pick up a Roush, Saleen, or GMMG tuner Camaro...
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #48
LSxcellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
Personally I think that 650 may be a bit too optimistic, unless you are talking about being modded. in that case 650HP should be reasonably easy to get given the advancements in engine technology. I'll be happy with a 430HP LS3 stock. That's more power than any factory Camaro ever had. The sky's the limit from there. Now if I can pick up a Roush, Saleen, or GMMG tuner Camaro...
Well, if the Cadillac CTS-V has 600hp, and the new Corvette is going to have 700hp, then I'd certainly wager that the Camaro Z28 will have 600+hp! Yeah its going to be expensive, but for THAT amount of power, its a bargain!

~LSx
Old 06-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #49
LSxcellent

Quote:
you all know that I'm not one for mustangs but I've got to share this story with you. There was a 5 road intersection I was in, and A mustang GT pulled up next to a ricer of some sort (doesn't really matter to me, a ricer is a ricer), anyways The light turns green, and I'm watching this from an adjacent street, The Mustang ROARS, I mean, my windows shook! and just destroys this little shitter...Funniest thing in my life! Earned a little more respect for the pony, too.
NICE! I saw a similar scene between an Infinite G35 Coupe and a 06 GTO... the GTO definitely had a serious cam in it, and some exhaust work by the sounds of it. The GTO just rocketed away, and the G35 lifted after about 200yds cause he knew he had no chance.

~LSx
Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #50
stolen.thunder

Drives: 1983 Delta 88
Talking

Excuse the newb. questions. I've been offered a rebuilt 383cu/500hp chevy engine ($4,000)- how much would it cost to have this sucka installed on my future 09 Camaro? *Could* I have it installed on an 09 Camaro? What other upgrades would I need, and roughly how much do you think they would cost?

Thanks
stolen.thunder is offline   Reply With Quote