Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
devildogcollier
semper fidelis

Drives: 95 z28 lt1 6-sp,73' nova 350
not sure what the deal is

my 95 6speed>..... heres the problem: once i drive it home from work and let the car sit all night it starts just fine the next morning.... now once i drive to work and turn the car off i can let it sit for a few hours but when i go to get back in the car and try to start it it takes a couple of times + some pedal pumping to get the car to start.......any ideas about what the problem is??? would it have to do with the ignition system???? help!!!!
devildogcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I had that problem with my '93 LT1 auto. It was the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column. Car was fine when cold or not used for a while but a bitch to start if hot or recently driven.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
craigd853

Drives: 199 SS Camaro
I've had that on at least three occasions where when the fuel pump starts to go bad it will do this. Do yourself a favor and if you can hook up a fuel gauge to your fuel rail located under the hood and visually look at it while your cranking the engine. If it's below 40 psi there's your answer. Also, you say your car is hard to start after it has run a while, could also be ignition system. The next time you run the car for a while, shut it off and pull the fuse on the fuel pump and crank the engine over with a plug out and grounded against a metal object on the car. Ensure that the spark is a big blue deep spark and that your plugs and wires are in good shape. I believe on your model year that the place where the ignition system is located which is down around the harmonic balancer that there were a lot of problems with this. Good Luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildogcollier View Post
my 95 6speed>..... heres the problem: once i drive it home from work and let the car sit all night it starts just fine the next morning.... now once i drive to work and turn the car off i can let it sit for a few hours but when i go to get back in the car and try to start it it takes a couple of times + some pedal pumping to get the car to start.......any ideas about what the problem is??? would it have to do with the ignition system???? help!!!!
first off, dont pump the pedal when starting. all you are doing is flooding the motor while its trying to start adding to your problem.

is it cranking slowly or stumbling at all when starting?

check the fuel pressure with a pressure tester. there is a schrader valve on the back of the fuel rail
http://shbox.com/1/fuel_schrader_valve.jpg

it should be around 41-47 psi when you turn the key to on (not starting)

another thing to look at is your coil. when the ignition control module gets hot, they start to crap out.

the coil is located on the drivers side bolted to the head.
http://shbox.com/1/coil_loc.jpg
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
devildogcollier
semper fidelis

Drives: 95 z28 lt1 6-sp,73' nova 350
i shall check
devildogcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Good luck
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote