Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
American V.S. Foreign

I went to the L.A. auto show last week with my parents. So they're looking at cars and I couldn't help to notice that they weren't even interested in American cars.

So when I asked them why they only looked at the foreign cars they told me that because American cars aren't as reliable and breakdown more often. I knew this was complete BS. We've owned about 4 American cars and 4 foreign cars, mainly Mitsubishi and Nissan. Unlike the foreign cars the American cars never gave us any problems. However they seemed to be blinded by the fad that foreign cars are of higher quality.

Since I didn't feel like arguing with them there and then I decided to come here and ask you guys what you think and to see if you have any factual information supprting the quality of American cars.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
well to be honest i never really cared about looking at american cars, mainly cause i couldnt care less about them. their would be the od 5-6 i would look at but that was all. i would be all over the imports(ferrari, maserari,lamborghini). i was also highly interested in the japanese market due to me buying my first car and at the time the best car the americans had was the cobalt which is laking in sytle. the forign automakers also put on a better show cars than the americans do. last year at the toronto autoshow their was only the camaro concept, challanger, and gt500kr reppen the americans while the forgien cars, had the new evox, impreza sti,lexus isf, gt-r,mazda furai, bmw m6, audi r8, slr mclaren. the list goes on. oooo and big plus the foregin let u SIT in their cars. i sat in cars like the audi r8 and bmw m6. i couldnt even get within 2feet of a c6 vette.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
GTD

Drives: Camaro
To be fair, both American and Foreign cars are very well made... Some people may have different opinions and therefore different perspectives about the topic... But, anyhow... I am ordering my new CAMARO! LOL
"1st post ever" !!
GTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Domestic cars are good at worst. People who believe otherwise are neither informed nor car enthusiasts.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Does anyone have any factual information?
The only example I have is that not one of our American cars have had recalls and every single of the foreign cars had recalls. Usually important stuff like seatbelts and tires.
However they still refuse to believe me.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Go look up quality ratings on cars like the Malibu, CTS, and other cars in their corresponding classes. GM wins.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
my parents argument used to be that foreign cars get you more mpg's. that may have been true some time ago, but i checked em with an 'american autos are up to par if not superior to those across the sea in styling, handling, AND mpgs!' smack to the face

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
The_Blur
Moderator, USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
my parents argument used to be that foreign cars get you more mpg's. that may have been true some time ago, but i checked em with an 'american autos are up to par if not superior to those across the sea in styling, handling, AND mpgs!' smack to the face
All of the foreign companies are getting MPG-smacked across the internet, just like this.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Unfortunately, this is GM's greatest challenge (and why I think they are STILL partly to blame)......

Those of us in the know, who follow GM closely, know that their latest products are great. Not the G6 and cars designed years ago, but the CTS and Malibu and their newest products are every bit as good as anything made by Honda and Toyota. Problem is, people who don't follow the automotive industry as close as us enthusiasts do do not know GM makes better products than they did 10 years ago.

GM is still doing a horrible job of getting the word out that their newest stuff is better than their old stuff. Untill they start a heavy campaign on a personal level with America, only GM purists will continue to buy their cars. Plain and simple. Those who were left burned by a bad experience 20 years ago and those who were raised in a family of import only owners will never even step foot in a GM dealer today. That's sad, it's unfair, but it is the truth.

GM must come up with an aggressive attack towards that, or it will never succeed again. Of that I am now convinced.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
I have had many different cars. I still revert back to GM. When I try and follow what the media says about vehicles, I realize the bias. My latest turd is a Kia for my wife. They spout out about best warranty all the time. Here's the catch. You will need the warranty. The worse part is that the dealers dont want to do warranty work because kia pays very little. The warranty also likes to pull the not covered, wearable part and even worse you didnt follow recommended maintanence schedule to get out of claims. Best thing I have found is Big3 may not be top in reliability but they at least stand behind their warranties.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Our 2006 Acural RL had a recall do to a steering pump hose that could break and start a fire. The only other car I had that had a recall was a 72 Ford Pinto for the gas tank issue.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
If you want factual ratings look up J.D. Powers and Associates reliability and quality ratings, and you will find many domestic products with those awards. Heck, Buick and Cadillac were just rated in the top 5 of the most reliable brands in America... If that doesn't make them open their eyes I don't know what will...
Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Best Midsize Sedan in Initial Quality? Chevrolet Malibu.
Best Fullsize Car in Initial Quality? Pontiac Grand Prix.
Best Fullsize Pickup in Initial Quality? Chevrolet Silverado.

All from JD Power and Associates.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #14
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Best Midsize Sedan in Initial Quality? Chevrolet Malibu.
Best Fullsize Car in Initial Quality? Pontiac Grand Prix.
Best Fullsize Pickup in Initial Quality? Chevrolet Silverado.

All from JD Power and Associates.
Grand Prix??? That's out of production now.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Grand Prix??? That's out of production now.
It was 2008's Quality Study.

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Perhaps you should visit other forums and see what owners of different cars and makes say.

Corvette Forum C6 forum - See the known issues sticky. Don't let it freak you out. It did me.

G37MT

G8 Board

G8 GT.com

Honda and Toyota sites

350Z forums

See who's talking about putting new wheels on, and who's talking about the clunking sound that comes from their differential on every turn.

And the manufacuturer that keeps trying to fix it, but fails, and then tries something else.

(The limited slip discs were grabbing and clunking. They finally found a diff. lube to help it, after several faulty service bulletin recommendations) One example only.

I only want a Corvette and Camaro, but I go into it with open eyes.

Lastly, there is Initial Quality = assembly and delivery quality

And long term reliability. Very different. You want facts, they are everywhere on the Interweb.

If you want the truth, listen to groups of people who actually own the cars and report initial AND long-term reliability.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote