Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
HACKED!

Ugh. I utterly hate computers. I called home from work to get a surprise. My wife checked our bank account and much to our enjoyment, we were negative $1,000+. Apparently someone hacked my iTunes account (which I don't even have installed on this computer), and managed to download over 800 songs, apps, games, etc from the store.

The purchases made went through my attached PayPal account, which in turn pulled funds from my attached bank account. Needless to say I learned a few valuable lessons.

1. NEVER EVER link bank accounts or credit cards to ANY store or application.
2. Use ONLY a pre-paid card and manage the card for purchases made online.
3. Change and monitor passwords for websites constantly. I now have a different password for every website I visit.

I'd pay a hefty sum just to find out exactly where these orders originated from and visit this person. What kills me is that the music wasn't even good. I hadn't even heard of most of them (some being Mexican and Chinese).

So user beware if you have iTunes I would look into removing your financial information and changing the passwords and other associated info. I don't know how they got the access whether it was through a security leak from Apple (again, I don't have the software on this computer or any computer)... or if they had logged my e-mail and password from somewhere else and used it there on a fluke (I've since stopped using that password and haven't logged into iTunes in probably a year or more). No idea. But I HIGHLY suggest you guys look into this yourself.

I'm now in contact with my bank, PayPal, and iTunes trying to get these charges removed from my account (and the 35 some odd finance charges for overdrafts which should be another $1,000+). Quite the fun and exciting adventure. Seriously if I ever found this person and I intend to try, they're going to wish they never did this.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
formare
Suspension by Pedders

Drives: Synergy Edition 13.71@102 1.95 60'
Danm that sucks...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Drives: #21,644
Man that sucks. You should be able to file a claim and receive a credit from your bank while they investigate the charges.
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
Man that sucks. You should be able to file a claim and receive a credit from your bank while they investigate the charges.
They were the first ones we called and they said they'll be contacting us by the end of the day to let us know what the investigation showed. Now that I know exactly how the whole scheme went down I'm hoping they'll quickly reimburse the taken money, remove the charges, and credit all additional overdraft charges.

I'm also going to file a Police Report with the Internet Crimes guys and have them follow up through iTunes to try and obtain IP's on the guys who accessed the account (yesterday and this morning). HOPEFULLY they live in the U.S. and we'll have them up on felony charges. I had an account a long time ago hacked but it was from Canada. So, I never could pursue that.

Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
John, I feel for you....this happened to me a little while ago:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66940

I also got "robbed" through iTunes and fortunately, my bank was able to get me my money back hassle free. They said that if they could not figure out who charged me so much, that they would make iTunes pay for it
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
John, I feel for you....this happened to me a little while ago:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66940

I also got "robbed" through iTunes and fortunately, my bank was able to get me my money back hassle free. They said that if they could not figure out who charged me so much, that they would make iTunes pay for it
Yup, sounds almost exactly the same. I have to wonder if it's a security leak in Apple or just a coincidence. If I were a user I'd be checking into this. I wont EVER be using a credit/debit card or PayPal for any purchase online again. From now on, pre-paid/loaded cards or gift cards and that's IT.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Drives: #21,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
They were the first ones we called and they said they'll be contacting us by the end of the day to let us know what the investigation showed. Now that I know exactly how the whole scheme went down I'm hoping they'll quickly reimburse the taken money, remove the charges, and credit all additional overdraft charges.

I'm also going to file a Police Report with the Internet Crimes guys and have them follow up through iTunes to try and obtain IP's on the guys who accessed the account (yesterday and this morning). HOPEFULLY they live in the U.S. and we'll have them up on felony charges. I had an account a long time ago hacked but it was from Canada. So, I never could pursue that.
Good luck!! I haven't had an issue with i Tunes but did have to file a claim after I had $272 taken out of my account due to someone making purchases on eBay. They canceled my card, issued me a credit and then sent me the results of their findings. Bank of America has been great when dealing with problems such as this.
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
That a very common mistake that folks have been blaming Paypal for since day 1.

never link your main checking or savings account to Paypal and the same goes for your 10k limit credit cards.

You should have one of those free bank accounts set up just for paypal and online stuff, using the free fake CC/debit card you get with said accounts.
[at a different bank then you use for your regular stuff]

So you can never lose more then you have in the said online only use account.

Though Itunes gets hacked like that all the time, Apple/mac systems are not as secure as they boast.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Looks like it was more than just you as well .. check this out:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/23/paypal-itunes-fraud/

Reports are appearing this morning about a major security hole in iTunes accounts linked to PayPal. At least one group of scammers has found a way to charge thousands of dollars to iTunes accounts through PayPal. One targeted customer told us, “My account was charged over $4700. I called security at PayPal and was told a large number of iTunes store accounts were compromised.” His email was filled with nearly 50 receipts from PayPall for $99.99 each. (Update: they were for “CastleCraft, Dragon Crystals (10000 Pack), Seller: Freeverse, Inc”). He was able to catch it before his bank disbursed funds to PayPal.

But others were not so lucky. A quick search of Twitter and Facebook shows that the problem is not isolated. Joey Bruce on Twitter laments:

Someone hacked my iTunes/paypal acct and drained everything from my bank account. Life is kicking me in the balls while I’m down.

A search of public status updates on Facebook uncovers more people with the same issue:

Darn…what a day! Someone hacked into my itunes account and bought a crap load of downloads and emptied out my paypal account….grrrrr. . . . Paypal is very cooperative but there is just about no way to get ahold of itunes. I did call paypal and they assured me that they had contacted itunes and it was going to be taken care of in my favor.

so apple/itunes had a security breach & someone bought over $500 worth of music through my paypal account. just what i wanted 2 b dealing w/ while in San Diego! AWESOME!!!

Everybody watch your itunes account closely. I just got hacked for almost $1000.00 worth of software, videos and music. Hopefully paypal will refund it all. . . . This happened within the last few hours. Once transaction after another.

AT least PayPal is aware of the issue, but it seems like the problem is on the iTunes side.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
^^^
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
fieldgoal00
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
someone bought a $50 itunes gift card through my paypal account, last week, thankfully paypal and apple gave me my money back.
fieldgoal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Looks like it was more than just you as well .. check this out:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/23/paypal-itunes-fraud/

Reports are appearing this morning about a major security hole in iTunes accounts linked to PayPal. At least one group of scammers has found a way to charge thousands of dollars to iTunes accounts through PayPal. One targeted customer told us, “My account was charged over $4700. I called security at PayPal and was told a large number of iTunes store accounts were compromised.” His email was filled with nearly 50 receipts from PayPall for $99.99 each. (Update: they were for “CastleCraft, Dragon Crystals (10000 Pack), Seller: Freeverse, Inc”). He was able to catch it before his bank disbursed funds to PayPal.

But others were not so lucky. A quick search of Twitter and Facebook shows that the problem is not isolated. Joey Bruce on Twitter laments:

Someone hacked my iTunes/paypal acct and drained everything from my bank account. Life is kicking me in the balls while I’m down.

A search of public status updates on Facebook uncovers more people with the same issue:

Darn…what a day! Someone hacked into my itunes account and bought a crap load of downloads and emptied out my paypal account….grrrrr. . . . Paypal is very cooperative but there is just about no way to get ahold of itunes. I did call paypal and they assured me that they had contacted itunes and it was going to be taken care of in my favor.

so apple/itunes had a security breach & someone bought over $500 worth of music through my paypal account. just what i wanted 2 b dealing w/ while in San Diego! AWESOME!!!

Everybody watch your itunes account closely. I just got hacked for almost $1000.00 worth of software, videos and music. Hopefully paypal will refund it all. . . . This happened within the last few hours. Once transaction after another.

AT least PayPal is aware of the issue, but it seems like the problem is on the iTunes side.
WOW. So the leak is iTunes. Unbelievable. It might not directly damage people (unless of course they had payments coming out or intended on spending money today)... it's more of a pain in the butt. However, that doesn't make this easier to accept.

I've gone and filed a police report and spoke to a Fraud Detective. I'm going to follow up on this and hope that I can find out who was involved in this. The upside for them is that they didn't take the money. They just made it so I spent my money on crap music. So they didn't so much "steal"... but I'm still out either way until it's resolved.

I have to wonder how this is going to affect Apples rep. Especially since it's IMPOSSIBLE to contact them about this (was told by two reps there is no phone contact number for iTunes problems). The internet strikes again.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
I had someone hack my iTunes and charge my CC...it was only 10 bucks but still annouying...I got the money back...Apple was LESS than helpful...my bank helped me...I changed my account prefs to paypal...they need to make it so you don't have to give billing info...I tried removing mine but it won't let me

I am thinking about parting from apple over this...they need to get their heads out of their asses...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Also a good move for PayPal is to have the Security key. It is like 5.00 but it has a number set locked to the key and it generates a number to put after your password each time. So even if they now the password they can not do anything.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ityKey-outside
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRiderSS View Post
I had someone hack my iTunes and charge my CC...it was only 10 bucks but still annouying...I got the money back...Apple was LESS than helpful...my bank helped me...I changed my account prefs to paypal...they need to make it so you don't have to give billing info...I tried removing mine but it won't let me

I am thinking about parting from apple over this...they need to get their heads out of their asses...
After this fiasco I wont EVER buy another product from them. I wont install iTunes, and I wont send a penny to them. This is silly and should not occur when you manage a store like this and as big as they are. With how widespread this is by the Facebook/MySpace messages it's clearly much bigger than I thought and a lot of people are being affected by this.

Thankfully the account was a back up and not my primary account. Otherwise I'd be looking at a total loss of my last paycheck and a number of bouncing checks, debit charges, etc.

This is a serious deal and like you said, they need to pull their heads out and fix this NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Also a good move for PayPal is to have the Security key. It is like 5.00 but it has a number set locked to the key and it generates a number to put after your password each time. So even if they now the password they can not do anything.
This I never knew about. So I'll be closing down my bank account, and PayPal account and may open a new PayPal one in the future. If I do, I'll be taking advantage of the key.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Quote:

The only problem is if you add iTunes as an authorized biller...they don't even need to log onto paypal to charge you...just iTunes
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:

sounds like it cost $5 every time it maks a new key, and it makes a new key every time you use it???

I got 2 paypal accounts I use em so much, both set up as business but are 90% personal, you just get more option with biz ones.

----------
"What is it?

The PayPal Security Key creates random temporary security codes that help safeguard your PayPal account when you log in. It comes in 2 types, each with different advantages:

Security key: You carry this small credit-card sized device with you. It creates a unique security code on the go.
Mobile phone security key: You can sign up to get security codes sent by text message to your mobile phone.

How much does it cost?

The mobile security key has no costs, except your mobile provider's standard text messaging charges. Check with your mobile provider for details.

Each security key is $5, and there’s no monthly service fee or additional cost. Replacement keys are the same price."
Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #18
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
sounds like it cost $5 every time it maks a new key, and it makes a new key every time you use it???

Each security key is $5, and there’s no monthly service fee or additional cost. Replacement keys are the same price."
it's the cost of the actually key fob they send you
Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah the key is 5.00 no extra charges. If you had mutiple accounts you would need multiple keys. Or if you lost the key then 5.00 to disable old one and get new one.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #20
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:

Did you have itunes on another computer that you might have disposed of in the past? If you dont destroy your harddrive when you toss a computer all your information is there. With a simple program someone can go through and figure out your password to the account and log back in and do whatever they want with it.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post

I got 2 paypal accounts I use em so much, both set up as business but are 90% personal, you just get more option with biz ones.

----------
"What is it?

The PayPal Security Key creates random temporary security codes that help safeguard your PayPal account when you log in. It comes in 2 types, each with different advantages:

Security key: You carry this small credit-card sized device with you. It creates a unique security code on the go.
Mobile phone security key: You can sign up to get security codes sent by text message to your mobile phone.

How much does it cost?

The mobile security key has no costs, except your mobile provider's standard text messaging charges. Check with your mobile provider for details.

Looks more like the key is a device that costs $5.00.... The one key creates a new security code for every use, so it only costs the price of a text message for each use.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #22
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
Did you have itunes on another computer that you might have disposed of in the past? If you dont destroy your harddrive when you toss a computer all your information is there. With a simple program someone can go through and figure out your password to the account and log back in and do whatever they want with it.
No, it's not on any other computer anywhere else. When I looked in the account it said the application was authorized on 5 different computers... so I imagine they did that when they hacked it. But it wasn't loaded up anywhere. Only other harddrive iTunes was on, was fried completely. But seeing how this isn't isolated there must be something wrong here beyond phishing scams, keyloggers, or access to personal computers. There must be a loophole somewhere that someone figured out in mass.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #23
irocnroll

Quote:
No, it's not on any other computer anywhere else. When I looked in the account it said the application was authorized on 5 different computers... so I imagine they did that when they hacked it. But it wasn't loaded up anywhere. Only other harddrive iTunes was on, was fried completely. But seeing how this isn't isolated there must be something wrong here beyond phishing scams, keyloggers, or access to personal computers. There must be a loophole somewhere that someone figured out in mass.
It may have been fried to normal standards but you can easily switch the board on a dead hard drive with a new hard drive and still retreive the data. Not saying that this is what happened, but I have done it with dead drives in the past to get data off of them.

Also if I were you I would Unauthorize all computer if you havent done so and change your iTunes password so if they attempt to do this again they will be unsuccessful. PLus the music will be useless to them as they will need to sign in your account to verify the DRM on each song.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #24
irocnroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Looks more like the key is a device that costs $5.00.... The one key creates a new security code for every use, so it only costs the price of a text message for each use.
Correct, these are similar to VPN key fobs companies use to log into their networks while away from the internal network. I also this Blizzard has one available for players that play World of Warcraft to prevent account hacking.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

So for $5 they send you a 99cent kids toy that spits out a 4 digit random code when ever the button is pushed.

How does it know its right?
They must be pre programed with a master key of such ehy, to where it can't spit out a bad code?
Even if ya pushed it a bunch of times on accident or purpose so you skipped using some codes, it don't care?

Id buy it for $5 if its dummy proof. Don't want to be denied buying something in line like a deadbeat